Suggested Problems

: MATH 2720 Multivariable Calculus: Fall 2004: Suggested Problems
   By Dan on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit Post

I have some questions about the suggested problems (this list is not intended to be exhaustive):

11-13: “Explain why the function is differentiable at the given point.”
- Are written explanations required for the final?

41. This is a question that asks you to show that two things equal each other. Should we focus much time on proofs such as these?

47 + 49: Same situation as #41 in 15.5.

3. “Use level curves in the figure to predict the location of the critical points of f and whether f has a saddle point or a local max or min at each of those points. Explain your reasoning.”
- Would you consider this too outdated to be in the final?

23. “Use Lagrange multipliers to prove that the rectangle with the maximum area that has a given perimeter p is a square.”
- Should we focus much time on proofs such as these?

2-4,6+7 (Way too long to type out. Next time you have access to the book could you take a look?) These were suggested but I don’t understand why they are important. They were referred to very briefly in class. Should we take this as a hint?

Also, can you do some more volume questions, or any question from 37-49 for that matter, during the review classes? I am finding them very difficult and can imagine that some others might as well. Thanks for your time.

By Sasho on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit Post

14.4: Potentially yes. Most often that would mean invoking some theorem. For that particular question you need to know that if a function has continuous partial derivatives, then it is differentiable.

14.5. No real proofs in that question. You need to do two computational exercises in one: compute the right hand side, compute the left hand side; then see they are equal.

14.7 I will not ask a question of that sort. However, if you do not understand what is to be done there, then you probably have some weak points that might show during the final.

14.8 That is in.

By Anonymous on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit Post

I have a question about the suggested problems. For chapter 16 it says the problems will come, could you plz post them, or hand them out in class come Monday.

By Sasho on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit Post

I have. They were shown (on a transparency) during the last two classes.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
eXTReMe Tracker