Hard palate

The hard palate is the hard part of the roof of the mouth.

Sounds that are made with the hard palate are called palatal sounds. Note that the adjective "palatal" refers to sounds made at the hard palate, not the soft palate (whose adjective is "velar").


Next:  Soft palate (velum)  | Previous:  Alveolar ridge  | Up:  Anatomy of the vocal tract  | Home:  Home