selection of recent elected and appointed professional positions:
- Geological Society of America, Nominations Committee, 2012-2015.
- Geological Association of Canada, Logan Medal Committee (2013)
- Canadian Quaternary Association, W.A. Johnston Medal Committee (2013)
- National Research Council (NRC) of Canada Performance Review Committee for International Affiliations (2012).
- International Council of Science (ICSU), Canadian Delegate to General Assembly meeting in Rome (2011).
- International Union of Quaternary Research (INQUA), Advisory Board, Commission on Terrestrial Processes, Deposits, and History (2011-2017).
- International Geological Congress 2020, Canadian Bid Steering Committee (2010-2012), Chair Conference Agenda SubCommittee.
- National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOG), Delegate of Canadian Geoscience Standards Board and Geoscientists Canada to annual meeting.
- Canadian Federation of Earth Sciences, Advisor to International Committee (2011- ).
- International Year of Planet Earth, North American Delegate to International Meeting in Lisbon (2009).
- International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS), Canadian Delegate to International Geological Congress (Oslo, Norway, 2008).
- Member of the International Board and Representative for North America, International Year of Planet Earth
- President, Commission on Terrestrial Processes, Deposits, and History (2003-2007; re-elected 2007-2011), International Union for Quaternary Research
- Canadian Delegate, International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS), International Geological Congress (Oslo, Norway, 2008)
- Member of Board, Youth Encouraging Sustainability (Y.E.S.) (2008 -)
- Chair, Scienctific Board, Quaternary, Environmental, & Engineering Geosciences Committee, UNESCO-IGCP (2007-2011)
- Council Member, Geological Association of Canada (2006-2009), Member in Charge of International Relations; ad hoc Comm. for International Year of Planet Earth
- Canadian National Committee for International Year of Planet Earth (2006-2010)
- Board Member, Canadian Council of Professional Geoscientists Standards Board (2005 - )
- Senior Advisor, United Nations "International Year of Planet Earth" (2004-2009)
- Canadian National Committee for IUGS (2004-2011)
- Canadian Commission for UNESCO (2003-)
- Chair, Canadian National Committee, International Geoscience Program (IGCP) (2004-2011)
- W.A. Johnston Medal of the Canadian Quaternary Association (CANQUA), 2011, for excellence in Quaternary science.
- University of Manitoba 2007 Outreach Award
- Michael J. Keen Medal of the Geological Association of Canada, Marine Geosciences Division (2004)
- University of Manitoba Merit Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research and Scholarly Work (1986, 1991, 2001, 2002)
- Selected by University of Manitoba Science & Engineering Merit Awards Committee for Merit Award for Teaching and Research (1987-88)
- Stillwell Medal of the Geological Society of Australia (1987) for the best
paper of 1986 in the Australian Journal of Earth Sciences (with J. Bowler)
- Elected Fellow of the Geological Society of America
- Elected Fellow of the Geological Association of Canada
- Antarctic Service Medal, United States Congress
- Teller Peak in Antarctica named after James Teller