01 January 2006 fifteen communities demerged from Montréal to form individual municipalities: Baie-d'Urfé, Beaconsfield, Côte Saint-Luc, Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Dorval, Hampstead, Kirkland, L'Île-Dorval, Montréal-Est, Montréal West, Mount Royal, Pointe-Claire, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Senneville, and Westmount. The operation of public transit in Montréal and all fifteen separate municipalities remains with one agency, STM.
Any transit service in Côte Saint-Luc, Hampstead, Kirkland, Montréal West, Mount Royal, and Westmount has been part of the principal Montréal system. Since about 1970 Senneville has had no transit service and L'Île-Dorval has only a municipally operated seasonal ferry. Both fall within STM's jurisdiction.
? (1848 - "did not last very long.")
Omnibus operation from Bonaventure station to Longueuil ferry (Angus & Wilson).
Montreal City Passenger Railway Company (27 November 1861 - 1886)
Incorporated 18 May 1861 (Can.) Name changed to MSRCo 1886.
Montreal Street Railway Company (1886 - 1911)
Amalgamated into Montreal Tramways 1911.
Montreal Tramways Company (1911 - 16 June 1951)
la compagnie des Tramways de Montréal. Incorporated 1911 (Que.) and absorbing MSRy, MP&IRy, MTRy and PS Corp.. Controlling interest held by Montreal Tramways and Power Co. (McGraw 1918). Introduced electric trolley buses 1937.
Montreal Transportation Commission (16 June 1951 - 31 December 1969)|
Commission de transport de Montréal. Public agency. Took over municipal bus service in Saint-Léonard 1963 (MR 1998). Took over municipal bus service in Ville d'Anjou circa May 1966 (Canadian Coach 1966). Took over AI-C bus service in Riviere des Prairies and Anjou 1966 (MR 1998). (photo William A. Luke).
Commission de transport de la communaute urbaine de Montréal
(01 January 1970 - 01 January 1985)|
Took over AT-U West Island local bus service 1980 (MR 1998). Transfered bus service in Longueuil (South Shore) to STRSM 1985. (CUTA 1976-77 lists the Montreal Urban Community Transit Commission). (Jean Breton 2009, photos Mike Rivest, William A. Luke).
Société de transport de la communaute urbaine de Montréal (01 January 1985 - 31 December 2001)
(CUTA 1989, CUTA 1991/2, CUTA 1992, Jean Breton 2009)
|Vehicle fleet||1600 buses,
759 Métro cars
|Data source:||CTHF/SSG 2000|
Société de transport de Montréal (01 January 2002 - present)
Name changed in coordination with municipal amalgamation. (Jean Breton 2009).
|Ridership||382,820,521 (2009)||Data source:||CTF [Aug. 2010] (ridership)|
Upper Saint Lawrence Street Railway Company (24 August 1864 -
May very well have never laid rails, operating "temporary" service with omnibuses. Acquired by the MCPRyCo 1871.
City Omnibus Company (early 1870s)
Competitor to the MCPRyCo.
Mountain Park Railway (1884 - 1918)
An incline railway operated on the slopes of Mount Royal in Montréal between 1884 and 1918.
Montreal Park and Island Railway Company (27 December 1893 - 1911)
Incorporated 1885 (Que.) Service to Montréal-Nord, Outremont, Cartierville, and Lachine. Acquired by the MSR 01 July 1901 and transferred to Montreal Tramways 1911. (Binns 1973)
Montreal Island Belt Line Railway Company (1896 - 1900)
Incorporated 1893 (Que.) Service east of Montréal to the eastern end of the island. Name changed to MTRyCo 1900. (Binns 1973)
Montreal Terminal Railway Company (1900 - 1911)
Purchased by the MSR 01 July 1907. Absorbed by the purchaser 16 December 1911.
Suburban Tramway and Power Company (circa 1904 - 1910)
Incorporated 1904 (Que.). Map of 1907 shows company as the owner of the streetcar line on Notre Dame in east Montreal between Viau and Georges V (Binns). Leased and operated from 1904 by the MSR (Andreae 1997). Became PS Corp 1910.
Public Service Corporation (1910 - 1911)
Component of MTwys 1911.
Jitney Association of Montreal (circa 01 May 1915 - August 1915?)
The "jitney craze" in Montréal played out in similar fashion to other Canadian cities. The first jitney appeared 15 March 1915 and by 01 May 1915 the JAM was promising at least 100 in service. By August CR&MW was claiming they had practically disappeared. One operator, Canadian Autobus Co. sought and eventually received a franchise from the City of Montreal, but by then the fad was over (CR&MW, December 1915, p. 480).
Canadian Northern Montreal Land Co. (1912? - ?)
Bus service to “Model City”, now Mount Royal, prior to extension of the street railway. (Pharand)
Private bus route operated on Ridgewood Avenue (on the top of Mount Royal) to Côte-des-Neiges Road at the bottom of the mountain. Fleet of one Volkswagon minibus making 50 daily round-trips. (Le Petit Journal 29 September 1957, research by Jean Breton)
Expo Express (April 1967 - October 1967)|
Heavy rail transit line operated by and for Expo '67 (the 1967 World's Fair). Operated between the fairgrounds and a station in Montréal. (Photo davesrailpix)
The above companies are all listed on a chart titled Formation du Réseau régional de transport Montréal-Métropolitain (1861-1997). (MR 1998 from Pharand)
Anjou was annexed to Montréal 01 January 2002. Transit service in Anjou has been the responsibility
of the main Montréal system since 1966.
? (circa 1930 - Fall 1951)
Operator since circa 1930 abandoned service in late 1951. (Jean Breton 2009).
St-Léonard Transport Enrg. (01 March 1952 - 15 August 1960)
Local service in Anjou and Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice and between them and downtown Montréal. Service for Anjou assumed by the municipality 1960. (Jean Breton 2009).
la Corporation de la Ville d'Anjou (15 August 1960 - 18 May 1966)
Also called Anjou Transport. Serving Anjou. Absorbed by the MTC 1966 (Canadian Coach 1966, Jean Breton 2009).
Montréal-Est, Montréal-Nord, Riviére-des-Prairies, Saint-Léonard, and Saint-Michel Systems
Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice were annexed to Montréal 01 January 2002.
Riviére-des-Prairies was annexed to Montréal in 1963 and
Saint-Michel in 1968. Montréal-Est separated 01 January 2006. Public transit among the whole group has been the responsibility of
the main Montréal system since 1966.
L. Caprais (1920's)
Bus service operating between Riviére-des-Prairies and Montréal-Nord (CR&MW August 1926, pp. 440-441).
Laval Transport Inc. (07 May 1948 - 19 February 1959)
Initiated local transit service in Riviére-des-Prairies and routes Riviére-des-Prairies to Montréal via Montréal-Nord and Saint-Michel, and Montréal-Est, St-Léonard, St-Michel to Montréal 1948. Sold local service in Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice in 1952. Initiated local service in Montréal-Nord 10 April 1953. Entered bankruptcy and administration by Canada General Trust 21 January 1957. CGT sold operating permits to AIC Ltée 1959. (Jean Breton 2009).
St-Léonard Transport Enrg. (01 March 1952 - 1963?)
Private enterprise. Local service in Anjou and Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice and between them and downtown Montréal. Absorbed by the MTC 1963. (Coolopolis blog 2009, Jean Breton 2009).
Autobus Inter-Cité Ltée (19 February 1959 - 11 May 1966)
All local routes expropriated by Commission de transport de Montréal 1966. (AIC retained Montréal - Saint-Hyacinthe intercity route). (Jean Breton 2009).
Beaconsfield, L'Île-Bizard, Roxboro, Pierrefonds, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Sainte-Geneviève, Saraguay, and Senneville Systems
Beaconsfield, L'Île-Bizard, Roxboro, Pierrefonds, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Sainte-Geneviève,
and Senneville were annexed to Montréal 01 January 2002.
Saraguay was annexed to Montréal in 1963.
Beaconsfield, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, and Senneville separated from Montréal 01 January 2006.
Transit in the area has been the responsibility of the main Montréal system since 1980.
Autobus René Dussault (01 June 1945 - 01 February 1949)
Initiated local service in Roxboro, Saraguay and Sainte-Geneviève 01 June 1945. Added service in Senneville and Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue 05 November 1945. Service extended into L'Île-Bizard 03 October 1946, and Pointe-Claire and Beaconsfield 08 April 1946. Company sold to Cie de TP Ltée 1949. (Jean Breton 2009).
Compagnie de Transport Pierrefonds Ltée ( 01 February 1949 - 13 April 1951)
Entered bankruptcy and administration by Canada General Trust 12 February 1951 which sold operating permits to AM Ltée 1951. (Jean Breton 2009).
Autobus Métropolitain Ltée (13 April 1951 - 12 December 1958)
Sainte-Geneviève - Beaconsfield - Pointe-Claire cancelled 13 June 1955. Saraguay - Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue sold to Provincial Transport Company 09 May 1956. Went out of business at the end of 1958. (Jean Breton 2009).
Brisebois Bus Line Ltd. (12 April 1961 - circa 1976)
Company established 1957. Received permit to operate Sainte-Geneviève to Pointe-Claire 1961. Added local service in Pointe-Claire 27 April 1962; L'Île-Bizard to Pointe-Claire 01 May 1962; Pointe-Claire - Dorval Sunday service 17 September 1963; local service at Dollard-des-Ormeaux 12 June 1964; Beaconsfield - Pointe-Claire Sunday service 16 July 1964; local service in Pierrefonds 06 February 1967; and local service in Roxboro and Saraguay 31 October 1967. Company renamed AT-U Inc. circa 1976. (Jean Breton 2009).
Autobus Trans-Urbain Inc. (circa 1976 - 1978)
Sold 1978 to Met-Prov. (Jean Breton 2009).
Metropolitain-Provincial (1967) Ltee (1978 - 15 November 1980)
Expropriated by CTCUM 15 October 1980. (Jean Breton 2009).
Autobus Armand Hebert, John Alexander Ross & Albert Ernest Green (25 April 1946 - 15 June 1949)
Local bus service at Dorval and to the CNR train station at Lachine. Armand Hebert sold his interest to John Alexander Ross and Albert Ernest Green 26 April 1949. Fleet of 2 buses. Operation renamed 1949. (Jean Breton 2009).
Dorval Bus Line (15 June 1949 - 07 March 1955)
Owned by John Alexander Ross and Albert Ernest Green. Fleet of 2 buses. Abandoned service 1955. (Jean Breton 2009).
A seasonal (April to October) ferry service is operated between Île-Dorval and
Dorval by the
Ville de l'Île-Dorval [the municipality]. Use is restricted to residents and their guests which disqualifies the service
as “public” transit.
|Omnibus||1848 - ?*||Animal railway||27 November 1861 - October 1894||Funicular||1884 - 1918|
|Electric railway||21 September 1892 - 30 August 1959||Motor bus||1919** - present||Trolley coach||29 March 1937 - 18 June 1966||Heavy rail transit||14 October 1966 - present|
Hôpital Saint Jean de Dieu Railway (? - ?)
Private trolley freight line between the hospital and the St. Lawrence river, used primarily to haul coal, water, and other bulk hospital supplies (Martin). Also known as Longue Point Asylum Railway (Andreae 1997). Junction with the Montreal Terminal constructed 1903 (Pharand). The Hospital also operated an internal passenger railway (Photos: PAC, Marc Dufour collection).
The author is always interested in comments, corrections and further information. Please email to: email@example.com This page last modified: Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011 14:54:44 CDT