I’m on sabbatical for the 2012-13 academic year — so no courses, no office hours, and if you leave a message on my voicemail, it will sit there for a very long time.
537 Fletcher Argue (I've moved to the other side of the hall!)
(204)-474-9620 (pointless for this year)
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2
- phonology, morphology, the phonology-phonetics interface; American Sign Language; Cree; Dakota; computational linguistics
Office hours (2012):
- in press: “How phonological reductions sometimes help the listener”, by Holger Mitterer and Kevin Russell, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance. (final draft of ms)
- 2011: “ASL sign lowering as undershoot”, by Kevin Russell, Erin Wilkinson, and Terry Janzen, Laboratory Phonology 2:2, 403-422, official version, doi:labphon.2011.015
- 2008: “Sandhi in Plains Cree”, Journal of Phonetics --
official version or
PDF file of ms (200 k).
- 2004: “Contrastive focus reduplication in English (the salad-salad paper)”, by Jila Ghomeshi, Ray Jackendoff, Nicole Rosen, and some guy named Russell.
Natural Language and
Linguistic Theory. 22, 2, pages 307-357.
(Not really accessible anymore, unless your library has a subscription.)
The corpus of reduplication examples mentioned in the paper can be found here.
- 1999: MOT: Sketch of an Optimality Theoretic Approach to
draft of a monograph.
PDF file (616k).
Some ancient papers:
- 1999: “What’s with all these long words anyway?”; MIT Occasional Papers in Linguistics 17. [proceedings of the first Workshop on Structure and Constituency in the Languages of the Americas] PDF file (770k)
- 1993: A constraint-based approach to phonology and morphology; my dissertation, University of Southern California (advisor: Jean-Roger Vergnaud). PDF file (3.1M)
- 1993: “No spreading in Chumash sibilant harmony”; Proceedings of the Canadian Linguistic Association. PDF file (848k)
- 1992: “Palatalization and epenthesis in Plains Cree”; Proceedings of the Canadian Linguistics Association. PDF file (979k)
- 1991: “Obviation as discourse structure in a Swampy Cree âcimowin”; William Cowan, ed., Papers of the Twenty-second Algonquian Conference, 320-335. Ottawa: Carleton University Press. PDF file (975k)
Last updated: August 17, 2012