537 Fletcher Argue (I've moved to the other side of the hall!)
(204)-474-9620 (seldom the most efficient way to reach me)
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2
- laboratory phonology, morphology, the phonology-phonetics interface; Guaraní, American Sign Language; Cree; computational linguistics
Courses (fall 2015):
- General Phonetics (LING 1380) — 12:30 to 1:20 MWF
- Phonology (LING 2420) — 1:30 to 2:20 MWF
- Research Methods (LING 3820/7920 T02) — 4:30 to 5:45 MW
Office hours (fall 2015):
- Monday 2:30 to 3:30
- Wednesday 3:00 to 4:00
- Wednesday 6:00 to 6:30
- and by appointment.
- 2014: “The phonology of reduplication in Paraguayan Guaraní”; by Khashayar Hamidzadeh and Kevin Russell; Proceedings of WSCLA 19; UBC Working Papers in Linguistics; PDF file (174 k).
- 2013: “How phonological reductions sometimes help the listener”, by Holger Mitterer and Kevin Russell, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 39 (3), pages 977-984. doi: 10.1037/a0029196; or final draft of ms
- 2011: “ASL sign lowering as undershoot”, by Kevin Russell, Erin Wilkinson, and Terry Janzen, Laboratory Phonology 2 (2), pages 403-422, official version, doi:labphon.2011.015, or PDF file of ms (1.4 M)
- 2008: “Sandhi in Plains Cree”, Journal of Phonetics — official version or
PDF file of ms (200 k).
- 2004: “Contrastive focus reduplication in English (the salad-salad paper)”, by Jila Ghomeshi, Ray Jackendoff, Nicole Rosen, and some guy named Russell.
Natural Language and
Linguistic Theory. 22 (2), pages 307-357.
(Not really accessible anymore, unless your library has a subscription.)
The corpus of reduplication examples mentioned in the paper can be found here.
- 1999: MOT: Sketch of an Optimality Theoretic Approach to
draft of a monograph.
PDF file (616k).
Some ancient papers:
- 1999: “What’s with all these long words anyway?”; MIT Occasional Papers in Linguistics 17. [proceedings of the first Workshop on Structure and Constituency in the Languages of the Americas] PDF file (770k)
- 1993: A constraint-based approach to phonology and morphology; my dissertation, University of Southern California (advisor: Jean-Roger Vergnaud). PDF file (3.1M)
- 1993: “No spreading in Chumash sibilant harmony”; Proceedings of the Canadian Linguistic Association. PDF file (848k)
- 1992: “Palatalization and epenthesis in Plains Cree”; Proceedings of the Canadian Linguistics Association. PDF file (979k)
- 1991: “Obviation as discourse structure in a Swampy Cree âcimowin”; William Cowan, ed., Papers of the Twenty-second Algonquian Conference, 320-335. Ottawa: Carleton University Press. PDF file (975k)
Last updated: September 10, 2015