Brantford Street Railway Company (04 September 1886 - 1907)
Incorporated 1879 (Ont.) Acquired by foreclosure by Canadian General Electric in 1897. Sold July 1902 to GVRyCo interests, and merged into that company 1907. (OPM, Dorman, CYB 1905-1911, Mills 1977).
Grand Valley Railway Company (1907 - 1916)
Also an interurban operation, acquired by the City of Brantford 05 August 1914. Interurban operations were subsequently either abandoned or sold.
Brantford Municipal Railway (1916 - 30 September 1932 and again
09 January 1933 - 1935)
Retained the Brantford - Paris suburban route after the Grand Valley closure. Introduced bus service for Terrace Hill neighbourhood in 1916. Transferred bus to West Brantford route 1917. Bus service ended 1923 and buses disposed of in 1924. (CYB 1915-1940, Mills 1977).
Mohawk Coach Lines (01 October 1932 - 09 January 1933)
Subsidiary of Highway King Coach Lines. Trial period replacement of street railway service.
Brantford Public Utility Commission (1935 - ?)
Electric streetcars discontinued 1940. Ticket lettered Brantford Municipal Transportation System. (Canadian Coach Vol. 9, No. 3, May/June 1973 says PUC startup was 01 February 1940). (Photo: Bernard Drouillard [Peter Cox collection]).
Brantford Transit (? - present)
Operated by the Public Utilities Commission of the City of Brantford until March 1997, then by the municipality, specifically by the Engineering Department of the Corporation of the City of Brantford. Bus service between Brantford and Paris ended 21 June 1996. (CUTA 1976-77, Sotnyk 1981, CUTA 1989, CUTA 1991/2, CUTA 1992, Chow 1998, cptdb 2010)
|Service area population||82,000 (1991)||Vehicle fleet||25 buses (2000)||Employees||51 (1991)|
|Ridership||1,297,773 (2009)||Data source:||CUTA 1991/2
CTF [Aug. 2010] (ridership)
website 2010 (logo)
|Animal railway||04 September 1886 - 1893||Electric railway||31 March 1893 - 30 September 1932,
09 January 1933 - 31 January 1940
|Motor bus §||1916* - 1923,
01 October 1932** - 08 January 1933,
1936 - present
Grand Valley Railway Company (12 March 1903 - 03 February 1916)
Incorporated as the Port Dover, Brantford, Berlin and Goderich Railway Company 1900 (Dom.). Name changed to GVRyCo 1902. Service from Brantford via Paris to Galt. The Grand Valley absorbed the Brantford Street Railway Company 1907 (which it controlled from 1902) and eventually was acquired by the City of Brantford 19 December 1914 seeking to preserve the city system and to dispose of the rest. Most of the interurban operation was abandoned in 1916 but one suburban segment (Brantford to Paris) continued under Brantford Municipal Railway operation until 15 June 1929 (Mills 1977).
For 1903-1916 see Grand Valley Interurban. For 1916-1996 see Brantford.
After discontinuation of Brantford Transit service to Paris, several other operators have provided transit service between the two communities.
About Town Transportation (1996? - circa 2004)
Gave up the Brantford - Paris service “four years ago” (Brant County Transportation Master Plan, December 2008).
Paris Transportation Service (circa 2004 - circa 2010)
Also known as Paris Taxi. Cut service from six trips per day to two in August 2007. (Paris Star 06 September 2007).
Grand River Cabs (circa 2010 - present)
Eight trips per day. (cptdb 2010, website 2010).
The author is always interested in comments, corrections and further information. Please email to: email@example.com This page last modified: Thursday, 31-Mar-2011 01:35:45 CDT