Sherbrooke Street Railway Company (01 November 1897 - 1910)
Incorporated September 1895 (Que.) as the Sherbrooke Railway Company. French version of the company name cited in the act, la Compagnie du chemin de fer urbain de Sherbrooke, little used in public. Name changed in 1896 when control was acquired by Americans W. Burke and James Flood. Street railway service in Sherbrooke and to Lennoxville. Control was acquired 1910 by McCuaig Brothers & Co., Southern Canada Power Company interests.
Sherbrooke Railway and Power Company (1910 - 31 December 1931)
Incorporated 1909 (RFC). First bus service begun 1928.
Sherbrooke City Transit Company Limited (January 1932 - 31 December 1951)
Subsidiary of Colonial Coach Lines, a Provincial Transport Company subsidiary. Franchise effective 01 February 1932 (CR&MW May 1932). Service abandoned at the end of 1951. (Jean Breton 2009, CRHA News Report).
Service Laramée Inc. (31 January 1952 - 1962)
Name changed to ST Inc. 1962. (Jean Breton 2009).
Sherbrooke Transit Incorporated (1962 - 23 December 1978)
Acquired by CMTS. (Dawes et al. 1972, CUTA 1976-77, Jean Breton 2009).
Corporation municipale de transport de Sherbrooke (23 December
1978 - 01 September 1985)
Transit service in Sherbrooke. (Jean Breton 2009).
Corporation métropolitaine de transport de Sherbrooke (01 September 1985 - 31 December 2001)
Extended service to Fleurimont and Rock Forest. (CUTA 1989, CUTA 1991/2, CUTA 1992, Jean Breton 2009, photo: Jacques Matte 1997)
|Service area population||115,000 (1991)||Vehicle fleet||65 buses (2000)||Employees||244 (1991)||Data source:||CUTA 1991/2
website 2002 (logo)
Société de transport de Sherbrooke (01 January 2002 - present)
Name changed in coordination with municipal amalgamation.
|Vehicle fleet||69 buses|
|Data sources:||la petite histoire (2003)|
website 2009 (logo)
CTF [Aug. 2010] (ridership)
Autobus de l'Estrie (? - 01 September 1985)
Service in Fleurimont assumed by CMTS 01 September 1985.
? (? - 01 January 2002?)
Provincial map of 1995 shows a municipal bus service from Saint-Élie-d'Orford to nearby Sherbrooke (email 1996).
|Electric railway||01 November 1897 - 31 December 1931||Motor bus||27 August 1928 - present|
The author is always interested in comments, corrections and further information. Please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org This page last modified: Thursday, 23-Sep-2010 18:22:13 CDT