Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Television Characters
by David A. Wyatt
Copyright ©2014 David Wyatt. All rights reserved.
[version=17 April 2014 (this page)]
For several years now I have been trying to compile a list of television
programs that have included gay/lesbian/bisexual characters as a part of their
regular (or semi-regular) casts. Many shows have `dealt' with sexual orientation in a single
episode or story line, but just how many have included gay, lesbian or bisexual characters on a regular (or
recurring) basis? This is the list I have. My intention is to keep the list
to network and widely-syndicated entertainment shows in the English language.
To be listed a character should have appeared in
at least three episodes and be explicitly gay, lesbian,
bisexual or transgendered. Effeminate (but not gay) male characters, manish
(but not lesbian) female characters, and gender shifting science fiction
characters are generally not listed.
For the purposes of this list, a character is described as `recurring' if he
or she has appeared in at least three (3) episodes.
If you can recall any other shows, or can correct errors or omissions in this
list, please e-mail to: email@example.com
The latest version of this list is always available on the World Wide Web at
the URL: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/tv-characters.html
1.1 The TV networks
- United States of America
- ABC (American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.) 1948-present
- Bravo 1980-present
- CBS (Columbia Broadcasting System/CBS Inc.) 1948-present
- Comedy Central 1991-present
- CW 2006-present (merger of UPN and WB)
- Fox (Fox Broadcasting Company) 1986-present
- FX 1994-present
- HBO (Home Box Office) 1975-present
- Lifetime Television 1984-present
- MTV (Music Television) 1981-present
- NBC (National Broadcasting Company) 1944-present
- The N (Nickelodeon) 1979-present
- PBS (Public Broadcasting System)
- Showtime 1978-present
- UPN (Universal Paramount Network) 1995-2006
- USA (USA Cable Network) 1977-present
- VH-1 1985-present
- WB (Warner Brothers) 1995-2006
- ABCTV (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- 9NA (Nine Network Australia)
- TEN (Network Ten)
- 7N (Seven Network)
- APTN (Aboriginal Peoples' Television Network)
- Bravo Canada
- CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) 1953-present
- CTV (Canadian Television)
- CGS (CanWest Global System), became "Global"
- Life (Life Network)
- The Movie Network
- PrideVision, became "OutTV" circa 2005
- United Kingdom
- BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)
- C4 (Channel 4)
- C5 (Channel 5)
- ITV (Independent Television)
- LWT (London Weekend Television)
- Sky One
- RTÉ (Radio Telefis Éireann)
- South Africa
- SABC (South African Broadcasting Corporation)
- New Zealand
1.2 Program Index
[version=17 April 2014 (overall)]
Characters by decade of debut:
1961-1970 (1 character documented),
1971-1980 (59 characters documented),
1981-1990 (89 characters documented),
1991-2000 (338 characters documented),
2001-present (864 characters documented to date).
After the Beep,
All In The Family,
All My Children (1983),
All My Children (1995-2004),
All My Children (2006-present),
All That Glitters,
An American Family,
And the Beat Goes On,
Anything But Love,
Are You Being Served? Again!,
Are You Being Served?,
As If (UK),
As If (USA),
As the World Turns (1988-1989),
As the World Turns (2005-2010),
At Home With the Braithwaites,
Australia's Perfect Couple,
Beane's of Boston,
Beggars & Choosers,
Between the Lines,
Beverly Hills 90210,
Big Brother (Australia),
Big Brother (UK, 2000),
Big Brother (UK 2001-present),
Big Brother (USA),
The Biggest Loser,
The Bob Newhart Show,
The Bold and the Beautiful,
The Book Group,
The Book of Daniel,
Boy Meets Boy,
The Brian Benben Show,
The Brittas Empire,
Brothers & Sisters,
Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
By Appointment With Dr. Keith,
Cagney and Lacey,
The Carrie Diaries,
Check It Out,
Chris & John to the Rescue!,
The Chris & John Show,
Chris & John's Road Trip,
The City (Canada),
The City (US),
The Cleveland Show,
Commander In Chief,
The Corner Bar,
Coronation Street (1998-present),
Coronation Street (2003-present),
Crapston Villas, SE69,
Dalziel & Pascoe,
Days of Our Lives (1977),
Days of Our Lives (2011-present),
Degrassi: The Next Generation,
Dirty Sexy Money,
Do Not Disturb,
Donald Strachey Mysteries,
Don't Trust the B**** In Apartment 23,
Don't Wait Up,
A Double Shot At Love,
Drop the Dead Donkey,
The Education of Max Bickford,
Emily Owens, M.D.,
First Comes Love,
413 Hope St.,
The Further Adventures of Spin and Marty,
Further Tales of the City,
Game of Thrones,
General Hospital: Night Shift,
General Hospital (1994-1998),
General Hospital (2005-2006, 2012-present),
Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie,
The Girl's Guide to Depravity,
Grace And Favour,
The Graham Norton Effect,
The Graham Norton Show,
Guiding Light (1995-1997),
Guiding Light (2009-present),
Hail To the Chief,
Half & Half,
The Hard Times of RJ Berger,
The Haves and the Have Nots,
He Shoots He Scores,
Head Over Heals,
Hill Street Blues,
Hollyoaks: In the City,
Homicide: Life on the Street,
Hope and Gloria,
Hot l Baltimore,
How I Met Your Mother,
I Now Pronounce You...,
In Living Color,
In Sickness and Health,
In the City,
In the Flesh,
In the Life,
It Ain't Half Hot, Mum,
It Takes a Worried Man,
It's All Relative,
Jacob and Joshua: Nemesis Rising,
The Jewel In the Crown,
John Callahan's Quads,
The John Laroquette Show,
Keeping Up Appearances,
The Kids In the Hall: Death Comes to Town,
The Kids In the Hall,
Kiss Me Guido,
The L Word,
The L.A. Complex,
The Larry Sanders Show,
Law & Order,
Law and Order: Special Victims Unit,
Living in Captivity,
The Lone Ranger,
The Long Firm,
Mad About You,
Mapp & Lucia,
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman,
Masters of Sex,
Me and Frankie Z,
Melrose Place (1992-1999),
Melrose Place (2009-present),
Men In Trees,
Mickey Mouse Club,
More Tales of the City,
Mrs. Brown's Boys,
My Fabulous Gay Wedding,
My Name Is Earl,
My So-Called Life,
Naked News Daily Male,
The Nancy Walker Show,
Neighbours (2004-2005, 2010-present),
The New Normal,
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency,
NY Graham Norton,
Oh Grow Up,
On the Other Hand, Death,
1 Girl 5 Gays,
One Life To Live (1992-1993, 1997-1998),
One Life To Live (2004-2005, 2009-2010),
One Tree Hill,
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit,
Out Of Practice,
Party of Five,
A Place to Call Home,
The Playboy Club,
Playing the Field,
Please Like Me,
A Portrait of a Marriage,
Pretty Little Liars,
Prisoner: Cellblock H,
Pursuit of Happiness,
Queer As Folk 2,
Queer As Folk (UK),
Queer As Folk (US),
Queer Eye For the Straight Guy,
Raising the Bar,
The Real World (1992-2000),
The Real World (2002-present),
Rick and Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple in All the World,
The Roads to Freedom,
The Sarah Silverman Program,
Saturday Night Live (2008-2013),
Saturday Night Live (Also Rans),
Sean Saves the World,
The Secret Life of the American Teenager,
The Secret Life of Us,
Sex & Violence,
Sex and the City,
$#*! My Dad Says,
Shock to the System,
Shortland Street (1992-2000),
Shortland Street (2006-present),
A Shot At Love,
Six Feet Under,
So Graham Norton,
Some of My Best Friends,
Sons and Daughters,
Sordid Lives: The Series,
South of Nowhere,
Spartacus: Blood and Sand,
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena,
Spartacus: War of the Damned,
Spin and Marty,
Star Trek: Deep Space 9,
Star Trek: The Next Generation,
The State Within,
The Super Adventure Team,
Tales of the City,
Terry and Julian,
These Arms of Mine,
These Friends of Mine,
Third Man Out,
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy,
To Play the King,
The Tracey Ullman Show,
Two and a Half Men,
U8TV: The Lofters,
Under the Dome,
Unhappily Ever After,
The United States of Tara,
V Graham Norton,
The Vampire Diaries,
A Very Peculiar Practice,
The War At Home,
Who Wants To Be A Superhero,
Will & Grace,
Winners & Losers,
Women In Prison,
World Without End,
Xena: Warrior Princess,
You Rang, M'Lord?,
The Young and the Restless,
2.0 The Shows and Characters
Big Brother (game show) C4 2000-present
Continuing from its debut in the last Century (see Big Brother (U.K.) 2000) the British Big Brother continued to cast glbt contestants as part of its formula.
Brian Dowling was the winner in 2001.
Transsexual Nadia was the winner in 2004.
The 2012 edition was won by f2m transgender contestant Luke Anderson.
Remade in at least 15 other countries, including the United States and Australia.
- Brian Dowling 2001
- Josh Rafter 2001
- Daniel Bryan 2004
- Marco Sabba 2004
- Kathryn "Kitten" Pinder 2004
- Nadia Almada, formerly Jorge aka Carlos 2004
- Michael Cheshire 2006
- Richard Newman 2006
- Shahbaz Chauhdry 2006
- Gerry Stergiopoulos 2007
- Charles Andrew "Charlie" Drummond 2009
- Frederick "Freddie" George Fisher 2009
- Rodrigo Anton Lopes 2009
- Luke Anderson, formerly Laura 2012 chef
U8TV: The Lofters ("reality" programming) Life 2001-2002
Program format along the lines of Big Brother crossed with The Real World. Eight young adults living in a house wired with 24-hours cameras in every space.
Mathieu is one of the residents.
His boyfriend Marcello is a regular visitor.
About three months into the year fellow lofter Valery came out as bisexual.
The 2002 cast included Jason, who was the first evicted.
Abruptly cancelled midway through the second season.
- Mathieu Chantelois 2001
- Marcello 2001
- Valery Gagne 2001
- Jason Ruta 2002
Undressed (anthology serial drama/comedy) MTV 1999-2002
Anthology series following the usually humourous exploits of highschool and college age young people finding their way in the world of relationships and sexuality. Story arcs typically ran four episodes and only some castmembers re-appeared in later stories. Two season aired in 2001.
- Keith 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Jamie Martz)
- Scott 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Brett Charles)
- Mark 2001(i) (3 episodes) (Joshua Freedman)
- Mandy 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Kelly Kruger)
- Belinda 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Alisan Porter)
- Allen 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Brian Bendele)
- Dennis 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Shaun Cozzens)
- Karri 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Kellner Young)
- Shelby 2001(i) (4 episodes) (Courtney Earlywine)
- Matt 2001(ii) (5 episodes) (Josh Hammond)
- Glenn 2001(ii) (6 episodes) (Reid Lee)
- Lauren 2001(ii) (8 episodes) (Adrienne Janic)
- Brad 2001(ii) (4 episodes) (Chad Lindsey)
- Molly 2001(ii) (4 episodes) (Megan Paul)
- Nick 2001(ii) (6 episodes) (Mike Greybeal)
- Lyle 2001(ii) (3 episodes) (Mike Erwin)
- Lee 2001(ii) (4 episodes) (Michael Kirby)
- Kim 2001(ii) (5 episodes) (Katie Aselton)
- Doreen 2001(ii) (5 episodes) (Sadie Alessio)
- Justin 2002 (10 episodes) (Paul Lemelin)
- Stephen 2002 (4 episodes) (Nicholas Wright)
- Annie 2002 (8 episodes) (Rachelle LeFevre)
- Frannie 2002 (4 episodes) (Victoria Sanchez)
- Talia 2002 (4 episodes) (Rukiya Bernard)
- Angie 2002 (4 episodes) (Lindsay Murrell)
- Henry 2002 (9 episodes) (Mark Zeifman)
- Brian 2002 (9 episodes) (Matthew Smiley)
- Amy 2002 (4 episodes) (Caitlin Dahl)
- Barry 2002 (4 episodes) (Malcolm Travis)
- Fred 2002 (4 episodes) (Matthew Boylan)
- Carter 2002 (10 episodes) (Brad Goddard)
- Joel 2002 (10 episodes) (Edward Lafferty)
- Jake 2002 (8 episodes) (Matthew Gagnon)
- Dustin 2002 (4 episodes) (Jeff Lawson)
- Ethan 2002 (3 episodes) (John Paul Richards)
- Bridget 2002 (4 episodes) (Kathryn Kriitmaa)
- Tammy 2002 (4 episodes) (Sharlene Yuen)
- Nate 2002 (4 episodes) (Robert Brooks)
Keith dates Scott, then Mark.
Belinda outs Mandy, but when Belinda comes out herself, they get together.
Allen and his roommate are single, except that Allen is secretly dating Dennis.
Karri is dating her boyfriend Lucas and girlfriend Shelby simultaneously.
Matt tells his girlfriend he thinks he might be gay, and hooks up with Glenn.
Lauren helps out her gay friend Brad by being his beard.
Later Lauren and her boyfriend invite Molly to join them, but it's the women who make it permanent.
Frat pledges Nick and Bruno are handcuffed together. Eventually Bruno helps Nick hook up with Lyle.
Lee's straight friend Zack helps him figure out if he has a "female brain", but Lee's just gay.
Kim not being out to her family causes tension with her girlfriend Doreen.
2002: Justin is confused when the "guy" he falls for turns out to be a woman.
Stephen helps best friend Jane figure out why all her ex-boyfriends are gay.
Frannie visits to rekindle her relationship with Annie, who remembers it only as youthful fooling around.
Highschoolers Henry and Brian kept their relationship secret by pretending to date Talia and Angie, who are also secretly dating.
Amy, playing Juliet in a play, finds herself attracted to the actress playing Romeo.
Fred bullied Barry back in highschool. Now Fred doesn't recognize him and is attracted to him.
Identical twins Cody and Carter secretly shared an apartment but only Carter returns caretaker Joel's interest.
Jake and Dustin fool around together but it means more to Jake. Dustin is secretly dating Jake's sister.
Ethan comes between Carter and Joel.
Tammy and Bridget's budding attraction is derailed by Tammy's HIV status.
Nate is Henry's best straight friend, except that he harbours a secret crush on him.
For characters appearing in 1999 and 2000 see Undressed (1999-2000).
EastEnders (serial drama) BBC 1985-present
Life in a fictional working-class neighbourhood in the east end of London.
Jane Beale's brother Christian arrives in Walford in early 2008.
Derek was a childhood friend of Pauline Fowler.
Johnny comes to Albert Square when his parents buy the pub.
(See also EastEnders (1986-1989) and EastEnders (1991-1999)).
- Christian Clarke 2008-2012 (John Partridge)
- Derek Harkinson 2001-2005 (Ian Lavender)
- Syed Masood 2009-2012 (Marc Elliott) property developer
- Ben Mitchell 1996-2000, 2006-2012 (Joshua Pascoe [2010-2012])
- Duncan Willis 2011 (Steven France)
- Danny Pennant 2012, 2013-2014 (Gary Lucy) banker
- Johnny Carter 2013-present (Sam Strike)
Some of My Best Friends (sitcom) CBS 2001
Sitcom based on the Indie film Kiss Me Guido about a gay man and a straight Italian-American sharing an apartment. Between the first publicity and eventual airing the show passed through at least three titles: Kiss Me, Guido, Me and Frankie Z, and Some of My Best Friends.
- Warren Fairbanks (Jason Bateman)
- Vern Limoso (Alec Mapa)
First Years (lawyer drama) NBC 2001
Drama centred on a group of five young lawyers fresh out of law school.
- Warren Harrison (Mackenzie Astin)
Metrosexuality (drama-comedy) C4 2001
Six week series centred on Kwame (Noel Clarke), a straight youth whose two dads (Max and Jordan) have spit up. Characters include Max's sister Cindy, and Kwame's friends Bambi and Dean.
- Max (Rikki Beadle-Blair)
- Bambi (Davey Fairbanks)
- Dean (Paul Keating)
- Cindy (Carleen Beadle)
- Jordan (Karl Collins)
Kink (documentary) Showcase 2001-2006
Unusual documentary series examining the lives and sexual kinks of several individuals.
David spanks his submissive 6,000 times.
Pat, a woman with a PhD, admires the voices of whips.
Stephen dresses in drag.
Sharia and Ms. X maintain a dominant-submissive relationship.
Velvet is a transsexual.
Reece is a trans-male and drag king, a woman who prefers a male outward identity.
Nina is a male to female transsexual.
Ryan is a gay masochist.
Couple Derrick and Dave are exploring adding BDSM to their relationship.
Lesbian couple Jeanne and Kate are into leather.
- David 2001
- Pat 2001
- Stephen 2001
- Sharia 2001
- Ms X 2001
- Velvet 2001
- Reece ?
- Nina ? (Nina Arsenault)
- Ryan 2006?
- Derrick 2006?
- Dave 2006?
- Jeanne 2006?
- Kate 2006?
Isidingo (serial drama) SABC3 1998-present
South Africa's most popular soap opera, Isidingo is set in the worlds of South African mining and broadcasting.
Steve married Luke (Gary D'Alessandro) on-screen within days after South Africa legalized same-sex marriage in December 2006.
Titled Isidingo: The Need 1998-2001.
- Steve Stethakis 1998-2006 (Emmanuel Castis)
Crossroads (daytime serial drama) ITV 1964-1988, 2001-2002
Daytime serial set in a west Midlands hotel.
Tom and Bradley are a couple.
- Tom Curtis 2001-2002 (Toby Sawyer) internet cafe owner
- Bradley Clarke 2001-2002 (Luke Walker) handyman
As If (drama) C4 2001-2004
Drama following the lives (and love lives) of six young people.
Alex and Dan date, and later Dan causes problems for Alex and Mark.
Short-lived American version also produced.
- Alexander "Alex" Stanton (Orlando Wells) university student/student teacher
- Dan Parker 2001-2002 (Adam Sinclair)
- Mark Wilde 2002 (Callum Blue)
- Allen Rissbrook 2004 (James Kristian) student
Paradise Falls (drama) Showcase 2001, 2004, here!TV 2008
Goings on among the residents of a small town in Ontario cottage country, shaded with more than a little Twin Peaks-like strangeness.
The mayor's grandson Nick is a budding author, and a closet homosexual, much to the horror of his barbie-doll fiancée Jessica and the mayor.
The mayor (Art Hindle) eventually discovers that his girlfriend, restaurant owner Bea, is a transsexual.
Jessica tries to reconcile Nick with his estranged college buddy, personal trainer Simon, but gets dumped herself.
When a movie production comes to town Nick asks the film's writer to mentor him, but Clive isn't interested in his writing talent.
Sacha comes to town to open a gay bed and breakfast, and falls for Nick.
Nick's attention is elswhere, with closeted professional hockey player Johnny.
- Nick Braga (Cameron Graham)
- Bea Sutton (Dixie Seatle)
- Simon 2001 (Kristen Holden-Reid)
- Clive Hausenberg 2001 (Kent Staines)
- Sacha Martinelli 2004-2008 (Salvatore Antonio)
- Johnny Brice 2004-2005 (Alan Van Sprang)
- Colin Wagner 2008 (Steve Belford)
The Bill (police serial drama) ITV 1984-present
Long running drama centred on the police and crimes of the fictional Sun Hill precinct of London.
Sergeant Gilmore was responsible for supervising the constables, and the first openly gay officer at Sun Hill.
Constable Ashton returned to Sun Hill in 2002, and was a surprised as anyone by his attraction to Gilmore. Their same-sex kiss was a first for ITV.
Lesbian constable Osbourne dealt well with harassment from her mentor Des Taviner, who called her "Dutch".
- Sgt. Craig Gilmore 2001-2003 (Hywel Simons)
- PC Luke Ashton 1996-1998, 2002-2003 (Scott Neal)
- PC Gemma Osbourne 2002-2003 (Jane Danson)
Six Feet Under (drama) HBO 2001-2005
Award-winning series following the lives of a family of undertakers, including middle child David.
Keith is David's boyfriend.
- David Fisher (Michael C. Hall) funeral director
- Keith Charles (Matthew St. Patrick) police officer
Spyder Games (serial drama) MTV 2001
A late-night soap opera with hi-tech overtones [imdb].
Ivan is the second oldest son of the Carlisle family central to the series. He's marries Julie after a two year long engagement.
Temple is Natalie Carlisle's hair stylist.
- Ivan Carlisle (Byron Field)
- Temple Simms (Craig Robert Young)
Quads (animated sitcom) Teletoon (Canada) 2001-2002
Irreverent comedy about four physically handicapped people who share a mansion.
Spalding is the central character's "overtly homosexual Australian physical therapist." Series alternate title: John Callahan's Quads.
- Spalding (Matthew King [voice])
Big Brother (long format gameshow) CBS 2000-present
American copy of the British program of the same name. Contestants ("houseguests") are locked into a house with cameras, and voted out one by one until a winner is determined. No gay contestants in the first season (2000). The 2006 season included returning "all-stars" Bunky and Marcellas.
Bitter ex-boyfriends Joe and Dustin were both part of the 2007 Big Brother cast.
The winter 2008 season paired contestants into potentially romantic couples. Joshuah's "match" Neil Garcia left the game abruptly in the first week.
Cowboy Steven was the second evicted housguest in the summer 2008 series.
- Bill "Bunky" Miller 2001, 2006
- Marcellas Reynolds 2002, 2006
- Will Wikle 2005
- Beau Beasley 2005
- Joe Barber 2007
- Dustin Erikstrup 2007
- Joshuah Welch 2008 (1)
- Steven Daigle 2008 (2) geographic consultant and rodeo rider
- Kevin Campbell 2009 graphic designer
- Ragan Fox 2010
- Lawon Exum 2011
- Wil Heuser 2012
- Andy Herren 2013
Big Brother (long format gameshow) TEN 2001-2008, 9NA 2012-present
Australian copy of the British program of the same name. Contestants ("houseguests") are locked into a house with cameras, and voted out one by one until a winner is determined.
Nine Network Australia revived the franchise in 2012 and it was won by gay housemate Benjamin. Benjamin celebrated his win by proposing to his boyfriend Ben.
GLBT contestants have become a standard part of the formula. (Gay and bisexual list based largely on the Wikipedia article.)
- John "Rotten Johnny" Cass 2001
- Nathan Morris 2002
- Sahra Kearney 2002
- Jamie O'Brien 2003
- Claire Bellis 2003
- Jaime Cedra 2003
- Geneva Loader 2005
- David Graham 2006
- Rob Rigley 2006
- Benjamin Norris 2012 account manager
The Secret Life of Us (drama) TEN 2001-2005
Ensemble drama about a group of twenty-somethings, most of whom live in three flats in the same Melbourne apartment building.
Actor Richie shares one flat with his girlfriend Miranda and and his best friend Will.
Simon tends bar where the rest of the residents go to unwind.
Brad is Richie's reason for leaving Miranda (5 episodes).
Richie aquires a boyfriend Charlie during the 2003 series.
- Richie Blake 2001-2003 (Spencer McLaren)
- Simon Trader 2001-2003 (David Tredinnick)
- Brad 2001 (Kenneth Ransom)
- Charlie 2003 (Nathan Paige)
SoGayTV (talk) PrideVision 2001-2002
Talk show format featuring guests and gay themes. Interrelated with The Lofters from which the hosts were drawn. Originated as a webcast in 2001 from the U8TV website. Simulcast on PrideVision from September 2001.
- Mathieu Chantelois 2001
- Jason Ruta 2002
Bump! (travel) PrideVision 2001-2002, OutTV 2005-present
Travel show visiting cities in North America and Britain. Each program highlighted general and GLBT-interest sights in a particular city. Initially JR and Shannon alternated as hosts.
- JR Anderson 2001
- Shannon McDonough 2001-present
- Charlie David c2006-present
Shout (magazine) PrideVision 2001-2002?
Magazine format. Segments cover topics generally of interest to the GLBT community. Michael, Rachel and Guy were all co-hosts and reporters.
- Michael Serapio
- Rachel Guise
- Guy Gagnier
UnderCovers (call-in advice) PrideVision 2001-2002
Call-in advice on sex, health and relationship issues for the GLBT community. Elley-Ray and Dr. Keith co-hosted. After series production ended Dr. Keith did a series of two-minute spots along the same format, answering email questions, which was aired irregularly on PrideVision under the title By Appointment With Dr. Keith.
- Dr. Keith (Keith Lukes, M.D.)
Locker Room (sports magazine/variety) PrideVision 2001-2003?
Reportage and sketch comedy on sports themes, from a gay perspective. Variable company of actors play sketch rolls, closeted Coach Fluff, and Pete the Scalper probably the most frequently recurring gay characters.
DeBoy hosted each show and did most of the sports reporting.
Transsexual Nina was a regular, often playing a reporter.
- Paul DeBoy
- Nina Arsenault
- Coach Jeff Fluff 2001-2002 (Paul Bellini)
- Pete the Scalper (Paul DeBoy)
Boston Public (highschool drama) Fox 2000-2005
Vice-principal Guber's developing relationship with teachers aide Meredith Peters was complicated by his accidental discovery of her son Jeremy making out with boyfriend Brandon. Jeremy eventually acquires a girlfriend.
- Jeremy Peters 2001-2002 (Kaj-Erik Eriksen)
The Sopranos (mafia drama) HBO 1999-2007
Popular cable-TV drama following the home and work life of fictional New Jersey mobster Tony Soprano.
Vito is a closeted member of Tony Soprano's crew [glaad]. He gets wacked in the 2006 season.
- Vito Spatafore (Joseph R. Gannascoli)
Amazing Race (long format game show) CBS 2001-present
Teams of (usually) two contestants travel the globe competing in order to win.
Joe and Bill were billed as "Life Partners" and finished third in the first season. They returned in 2007's "All-Stars" series.
Best friends Oswald and Danny, "Team Cha Cha Cha", finished in fourth place in 2002, and came back to participate in Amazing Race All-Stars in 2007.
Reichen and Chip were described as "married" as they competed, and eventually won, the fourth season.
Boyfriends Lynn and Alex competed in the seventh installment, eliminated in the eighth leg for a fifth-place finish.
Team "T & T" (Tom and Terry) contested the tenth season but were eliminated after the fourth leg, for an eighth-place standing.
Father and son team Mel & Mike White finished sixth.
The 2009 edition included a team of two gay brothers, Sam and Dan.
The twenty-first season was won by "engaged goat farmers" Josh and Brent, the "Fabulous Beekman Boys".
Team "Jaymes and James", both Chippendale dancers, came in second.
- Joe Baldassare 2001, 2007
- Bill Bartek 2001, 2007
- Oswald Mendez 2002, 2007
- Danny Jimenez 2002, 2007
- Reichen Lehmkuhl 2003
- Chip Arndt 2003
- Lynn Warren 2005
- Alex Ali 2005
- Tom Rick 2006
- Terry Consentino 2006
- Luke Adams 2009
- Mel White 2009
- Mike White 2009
- Kisha 2009
- Sam McMillen 2009
- Dan McMillen 2009
- Jordan Pious 2010
- Carol 2010
- Brandy 2010
- Brent Ridge 2012 [Season 21]
- Josh Kilmer-Purcell 2012 [Season 21]
- Jaymes Vaughan 2012 [Season 21]
Jawbreaker (talk) PrideVision 2002-2004?
Talk show format featuring guests and topics of interest to the GLBT community.
Playright Brad Fraser hosted and guests hardly got a word in edgewise.
The Book Group (situation comedy) C4 2002-2003
An American in Scotland tries to make new friends by starting a book club.
Rab is a football-obsessed member of the club.
Several other club members are wives of professional footballers, and Rab gets to know Janice's husband Jackie.
Spanish football player Anselmo (Andoni Gracia) appears in two episodes.
- Rab (Derek Riddell)
- Jackie McCann (Des Hamilton) footballer
Survivor (game show) CBS 2000-present
See also Survivor (2000). Sixteen or so individuals isolated as a group for more than a month to compete and cooperate to survive. No (out) glbt contestants in the second season (2001, Australia).
Todd won the 2007 [China] season.
[Need info for season four (2002, Marquesas) and season five (2002, Thailand)].
- Brandon Quinton 2001 [Africa]
- Ami Cusack 2004 [Vanuatu], 2008 [Micronesia]
- Coby Archa 2005 [Palau]
- Brad Virata 2006 [Cook Islands]
- John Paul "J.P." Calderon 2006 [Cook Islands]
- Todd Herzog 2007 [China]
- Chet Welch 2008 [Micronesia]
- Charlie Herschel 2008 [Gabon]
- Spencer Duhm 2009 [Tocantins, Brazil]
- Mark-Anthony Caruso 2011
The Real World (video-verite documentary) MTV 1992-present
MTV gathers together seven young people to live in an apartment, under the watchful eye of the television camera. Each year has involved a different location and residents.
The 2009 show, set in Brooklyn, New York, included gay castmember J.D. and transgender Katelynn.
Frank dates Michael.
See also The Real World 1992-2000.
- Aneesa Ferrera 2002 (Chicago)
- Chris Beckman 2002 (Chicago)
- Simon Sherry-Wood 2003 (Paris)
- Karamo Brown 2004-2005 (Philadelphia)
- William Hernandez 2004-2005 (Philadelphia)
- Tyler Duckworth 2006 (Key West)
- J.D. Ordonez 2009 (Brooklyn)
- Katelynn Cusanelli 2009 (Brooklyn)
- Derek Chavez 2009[ii] (Cancun)
- Mike Manning 2009-2010 (D.C.)
- Preston Robertson James 2010 (New Orleans)
- Frank Sweeney 2011 [San Diego]
- Samantha "Sam" McGinn 2011 [San Diego]
- Michael 2011 [San Diego]
The Shield (police drama) FX 2002-2008
The story of in inner-city Los Angeles police precinct where some of the cops aren't above breaking the rules or working against their associates, for good or bad [imdb].
Julien is a deeply religious, African American police officer struggling to repress his sexual orientation. Everyone in his squad knows that he is gay, but after completing a church program that promised to "cure homosexuality," Julien married a woman and adopted her son [glaad].
- Julien Lowe (Michael Jace)
Footballers' Wive$ (sports serial drama) 2002-2006
Bed-hopping and cat-fighting among the wives and players of a professional English football team.
Noah is a young, new player struggling at first to hide who he is, and then to adapt to it.
Team star Conrad has an open relationship with his wife... open enough for a tumble or three with Noah.
Player agent turned team owner Hazel normally acted to protect her interests, but stepped in to keep Noah on the team after he was outed.
- Noah Alexander 2004-2005 (Marcel McCalla)
- Conrad Gates 2004-2005 (Ben Price)
- Hazel Bailey 2002-2005 (Alison Newman)
Degrassi: The Next Generation (teen drama) CTV (2001-2010), MuchMusic (2010-present) and The N 2001-present
Latest incarnation of the long running teen franchise. Some of the teens in the previous version are now teachers at Degrassi Highschool.
Popular student Marco is open about his sexuality at school, but coming out at home seems impossible.
Marco's friend Paige's older brother is Marco's boyfriend.
"Good girl" Paige and "bad girl" Alex date for a time in season 5.
Marco dated Tim after breaking up with Dylan.
Degrassi football jock Riley began an arduous journey of self discovery in 2008.
Once Riley and Zane began dating they essentially disappeared on screen.
The 2010 cast introduced a m2f trans student, Adam.
Tristan is out, proud, and wants to rule the school [press release].
Somewhere around 2010 the title suffix was dropped and the show's title became just Degrassi.
- Marco Del Rossi 2002-2009 (Adam Ruggiero)
- Dylan Michalchuk 2003-2007 (John Bregar)
- Paige Michalchuk (Lauren Collins)
- Alex Nuñez 2003-2006 (Deanna Casaluce)
- Tim 2005-2006 (Alex House) student
- Riley Stavros 2008-2011 (Argiris Karras)
- Zane Park 2010-2011 (Shannon Kook-Chun) student
- Adam Torres formerly Gracie Torres 2010-2013 (Jordan Todosey) student
- Tristan Milligan 2012-present (Lyle O'Donohoe) student
The Education of Max Bickford (drama) CBS 2001-2002
Home-and-work drama about a college professor, his co-workers and family.
Max's best friend, college Anthropology professor Steve, returns from sabbatical as Erica.
- Erica Bettis, formerly Steve (Helen Shaver)
The Wire (crime/police drama) HBO 2002-2008
Crime and policing in Baltimore is the subject of this drama.
Kima is an ambitious, African American lesbian cop.
Omar is a gay thief who steals from drug dealers [glaad].
Dante was Omar's boyfriend.
- Shakima Greggs (Sonja Sohn)
- Omar Little 2002-2008 (Michael K. Williams)
- Dante 2003-2004 (Ernest Waddell)
River City (drama) BBC 2002-present
Multi-character drama set in a Glasgow suburb.
Scott was in a relationship with police detective Eddie.
While battling River City's local gangster Nathan makes friends with the gangster's son Rory.
Detective Cooper investigates Robbie's bashing, and stays for a sleep-over.
- Scott Wallace 2007-2008 (Tony Kearney)
- Eddie Hunter ?-2008? (Derek Munn) Detective Constable Inspector
- Fi Kydd ? - 2008 (Monica Gibb) lawyer
- Rory Murdoch 2007-2009 (David Paisley) bartender
- Nathan Simpson 2009 (James Daffern)
- Robbie Fraser 2009-present (Gary Lamont) hairdresser
- Will Cooper 2012-present (Scott Ryan Vickers) police detective
- Alice (?)
- Christina (?)
As If (drama) UPN 2002
American version of the same-titled British show.
Reno 911! (sitcom) Comedy Central 2003-2009
Spoof of the Fox series "Cops".
Officer Dangle wears short shorts while leading a group of misfit police officers [glaad].
- Lieutenant Jim Dangle (Thomas Lennon)
It's All Relative (situation comedy) ABC 2003-2004
Young sweethearts Bobby O'Neil and Liz Stoddard-Banks are caught between their clashing parents. His are working class Boston Irish Catholic bar owners, and Liz has two dads.
- Simon Banks (Christopher Sieber)
- Philip Stoddard (John Benjamin Hickey)
The O.C. (drama) Fox 2003-2007
Drama centred on mostly wealthy teens and their families in Orange County, California
Homophobic bully Luke Ward's world turned upside down when his dad came out (3 episodes?).
- Carson Ward 2003-2004 (Brian McNamara)
Little Britain (sketch comedy) BBC 2003-2006
In mockumentary style, Lucas and Walliams portray a myriad of roles in Great Britain's bizarre doppleganger --- Little Britain.
Sebastian is the Prime Minister's doting executive assistant... insanely jealous of even the slightest kindness anyone else might show towards the P.M.
In the popular "Only Gay In The Village" sketch, Daffyd bemoans being the ostracized outcast, oblivious that he is neither ostracized nor outcast, nor is he the only gay in the village.
- Sebastian Love (David Walliams)
- Daffyd Thomas (Matt Lucas)
Coronation Street (serial drama) ITV 1960-present
Long running classic British soap opera, set in a working class neighbourhood of Manchester.
The Grimshaw family lives at number 42 Coronation Street. Teenager Todd was engaged to his pregnant fiancee Sarah by the time he came to accept that he was gay. When the actor resigned the role Todd was written out, attending college in another city. Todd popped in for his brother's wedding to Sarah in 2007.
Karl's long slow seduction of Todd, alternating as it did between pressure and backing off, was erotic before even a single button was undone.
After appearing in a single episode in 2003, Sean's 2004 arrival on The Street was almost a hand-off from the departing Todd, as he became a lodger in Todd's mother's house. He took a job as a seamster at Underworld, and eventually became a bartender at the Rovers Return.
Sean's interest in Tim is eventually returned, only to discover that Tim already has a boyfriend.
Sean's ex, Sonny, arrives in Weatherfield in December 2006.
After donating sperm to his best friend Voilet, Sean started dating their sonographer Marcus.
Gail Platt's long lost father Ted Page appeared in 2008.
After a heterosexual past Sophie embarked in 2010 on a romance with her friend Sian.
In addition, transsexual character Hayley Cropper was part of the show 1998-2014 (see Coronation Street 1998-present).
- Todd Grimshaw 2001-2004, 2007, 2011 (Bruno Langley)
- Karl Foster 2003-2004 (Chris Finch)
- Sean Tully 2003, 2004-present (Anthony Cotton)
- Tim White 2005 (Edward MacLiam)
- Sundeep "Sonny" Dhillon 2006-2007 (Pal Aron)
- Marcus Dent 2007-2008, 2011-2014 (Charlie Condou) sonographer
- Ted Page 2008, 2009, 2010 (Michael Byrne)
- Leon 2009 (Andrew Langtree)
- Sophie Powers 1994-present (Brooke Vincent [2004-present])
- Sian Powers 2009-present (Sacha Parkinson)
Mile High (serial comedy/drama) Sky One [UK] 2003-2005
Serial light drama following the shenanigans of a discount airline.
Will is a flight attendant.
A variety of occasional and short run characters also appeared, including Kevin, a married bisexual, and Nick, another flight attendant.
Seen in the United States on BBC America and in Canada on OutTV.
- Will O'Brien (Adam Sinclair)
- Kevin McMillan c2004 (Charles Daish) manager, demoted to purser
- Nick c2004 (Glenn Lamont) flight attendant
Boy Meets Boy (dating gameshow) Bravo [USA] 2003
In six episodes "bachelor" James Getzlaff must whittle down the field of fifteen contestants (eight gay and seven straight) to pick a date.
Other gay contestants eliminated before appearing in three episodes were Marc, Chris and Jason (Michael Jason Tiner). Getzlaff and the winner took separate prize trips to New Zealand.
- James Getzlaff
- Wes (Wes Culwell)
- Brian (Brian Hay)
- Robb (Robb MacArthur)
- Darren (Darren O'Hare)
Queer Eye For the Straight Guy (make-over) Bravo [USA] 2003-2007
Five gay men use their skills in style and culture to turn a straight man into a chick magnet.
Kyan handles grooming.
Ted does food and wine.
Jai is the culture expert.
Thom handles interior design.
Carson's specialty is fashion.
Collectively known as "The Fab Five."
- Kyan Douglas
- Ted Allen
- Jai Rodriguez
- Thom Filicia
- Carson Kressley
Neighbours (serial drama) TEN 1986-present
Life on Ramsay Street.
Lana was the Canadian cousin of Sindi Watts.
Chris is a high school student who befriends the show's other teens and becomes the captain of the school's basketball team.
See also Neighbours (1994-1996).
- Lana Crawford 2004-2005 (Bridget Neval)
- Christos "Chris" Pappas 2010-present (James Mason) student
- Aidan Foster 2011-2013 (Bob Morley) nurse
- Hudson Walsh 2013-present (Remy Hii)
Naked Josh (sitcom) Showcase 2004-2006
Josh Gould is a professor of anthropology specializing in the study of human sexuality. The personal lives of the professor, his students and friends mirror his lecture topics.
Jenn, one of his students, becomes a friend and the bartender at his local hangout.
The Long Firm (crime drama miniseries) BBC 2004
Four-part fictional drama about a Soho gay mobster in the early 1960s.
Harry is the lead character, "a dangerous mobster [...] who loves money, rent boys and Judy Garland" [imdb].
- Harry Starks (Mark Strong) mobster
One Life To Live (daytime serial drama) ABC 1968-2012
See also One Life To Live (1992-1993).
Mark was one of a group of summer student characters involved in setting up a youth centre.
Colson oversaw the investigation of a murder, until it was revealed that he was the perpetrator, killing to hide his affair with Matt. The closeted gay serial killer reveal was seen as a homophobic plot by some.
Crooked lab technician Kyle Lewis and Officer Fish used to be friends, or rather more than friends.
Nick's appearance during a rough spot in Kyle and Oliver's relationship lead to one of American daytime's first same-sex romantic triangles.
Amelia appeared to manage Dorian Lord's mayoral campaign, emphasising the hot-button issue of same-sex marriage.
Llanview's resident psychic turned out to be Amelia's jilted ex.
Marcie Walsh's gay brother Eric (Bill Dawes) was mentioned repeatedly about 2004, but eventually appeared only once or twice.
- Mark Soloman 2004-2005 (Matt Cavenaugh) student
- Theodore Daniel "Teddy" Colson 2003-2005 (Mark Dobies) district attorney
- Oliver Fish 2008-2010 (Scott Evans) police officer
- Kyle Lewis 2009-2010 (Brett Claywell) medical student
- Nicholas Roberto "Nick" Chavez 2009 (Nicholas Rodriguez) schoolteacher/activist
- Amelia "Mel" Bennett 2009 (Tia Dionne Hodge) political activist
- Madame Delphina aka "Del" 2008-2010? (Lea DeLaria) psychic
Emmerdale (serial drama) ITV 1972-present
See also Emmerdale (1993-2000).
The last thing local tough Aaron Livesly wants to know is why he impulsively leaned in to kiss his best friend Adam.
It took Aaron facing gay-bashing charges for hitting Jackson before he could admit to others that he was gay.
After Jackson became disabled he encouraged Aaron to date others, and Aaron met Flynn.
- Jonny Foster 2007-2008 (Richard Grieve) farrier
- Paul Lambert 2004-2008, 2010 (Matthew Bose)
- Grayson Sinclair 2006-2008 (Christopher Villiers) lawyer
- Aaron Livesy 2006, 2008-2012 (Danny Miller) mechanic
- Jackson Walsh 2010-2011 (Marc Silcock) builder
- Flynn Buchanan 2011 (Ryan Prescott)
- Ed Roberts 2012 (Lloyd Everitt) rugby player
Train 48 (improv serial drama) Global 2003-2005
A group of commuters meet each day on the way home from work in Toronto. Their conversations, mostly improvised, developed the characters and the somewhat soap-opera-like drama.
Being open about his sexual orientation was at odds with David's sense of privacy.
- David 2004?-2005 (Jason Cadieux) pediatrician
Shameless (drama) C4 2004-2013
Life in the strangely functional Gallagher family, Frank, his six children and their various friends and relationships.
Middle child Ian has an after-school job at the local convenience store, where he is also having an affair with his married boss Kash.
Jez is the lesbian who owns the local bar where Frank drinks.
Frank once told Ian: "Your mother [Monica] never once looked at another man, before she ran off with... Norma."
The Gallagher family's most dangerous rivals are the Maguires, but Mickey's got secrets of his own.
See also Shameless (USA).
- Ian Gallagher (Gerard Kearns)
- Kash Karib 2004-2007, 2009 (Chris Bisson)
- Jez (Lindsey Dawson)
- Monica Gallagher (Annabelle Apsion)
- Norma 2004-2006 (Dystin Johnson)
- Mickey Maguire 2007-2012 (Ciaran Griffiths)
Naked News Daily Male (magazine) OutTV c2004-c2007
A little news off the top and then the trou off the bottom. Each episode opens with a glbt-relevant "newscast", followed by magazine pieces on anything from fashion to cooking, computer games, cars, vacations, spas, music, man-on-the-street interviews, and viewers' mail.
- Jeremy Chase anchor
- Beau c2005 anchor
- Matt Waterman c2005-c2007 anchor
- Dale Danforth c2006-c2007 anchor
- Billy Preston c2007 anchor
- Malcolm Matisse reporter
- Enza "Supermodel" Anderson reporter
- Pedro Cavallo c2005-c2007 anchor
- Mark Traynor c2005 anchor
Fairy Tale (dating) OutTV c2004-c2007
A bachelor or bachelorette picks a date from a panel of three (usually) same-sex potential dates.
Read Out! (literature interview) OutTV c2004-c2006
Host Chantelois interviews the author of a current glbt-relevant book.
The L Word (drama) Showtime 2004-2009
Ensemble serial drama following the lives of a diverse group of lesbians in Los Angeles.
Candace has an affair with Bette.
Lisa has an affair with Shane.
Married woman Cherie has a fling with Shane.
"Lisa" is a man who believes he is a lesbian, exactly what Alice needs.
Ivan is a drag king, a woman who lives his life as a man.
Cherie's daughter Clea is struggling to accept her lesbian identity.
- Bette Porter (Jennifer Beals) art gallery director
- Tina Kennard (Laurel Holloman) human rights volunteer
- Helena Peabody 2005-present (Rachel Shelley) charity director
- Jenny Schecter (Mia Kirshner) aspiring writer
- Marina Ferrer (Karina Lombard) cafe owner
- Dana Fairbanks (Erin Daniels) pro tennis player
- Carmen de la Pica Morales 2005-present (Sarah Shahi) production assistant/dj
- Shane McCutcheon (Katherine Moennig) hairdresser
- Alice Pieszecki (Leisha Hailey) journalist/broadcaster
- Candace Jewell 2004-2005 (5 episodes) (Ion Overman)
- Robin 2004-2005 (5 episodes) (Anne Ramsay) trapeze performer
- Lisa 2004-2005 (3 episodes) (Luciana Carro)
- Cherie Jaffe 2004-2006 (Rosanna Arquette)
- Gabby Deveaux 2004-2005 (3 episodes) (Guinevere Turner)
- "Lisa" 2004 (4 episodes) (Devon Gummersall)
- Lara Perkins 2004-2006 (Lauren Lee Smith)
- Tonya 2004-2006 (Meredith McGeachie)
- Ivan Aycock 2004-2005 (Kelly Lynch)
- Francesca Wolff 2004 (Lolita Davidovich) fashion designer
- Clea Jaffe 2004 (Samantha McLeod)
Passions (daytime serial drama) NBC 1999-2007, DirecTV 2007-2008
Somewhat unconventional American daytime drama, mixing complex, interrelated families with a 300-year-old supernatural meddler.
Simone is daytime's first African-American lesbian.
In early 2007 is was revealed that Chad was having an affair with another man.
Chad's lover Vincent would go to any lengths to keep the affair secret.
In its last months on cable, Passions did manage to wed Norma and Edna, a first for the daytime dramas.
Chad's heterosexuality was eventually rescued when it was revealed that Vincent was a hermaphrodite and Chad was sleeping only with Vincent's female anatomy. Vincent turned out to be a serial killer and (using his male parts) a rapist. (Who writes this stuff?)
- Simone Russell 1999-2007 (Cathy Jeneen Doe (2004-2007))
- Chad Harris 2006?-2007 (Charles Divins)
- Vincent Clarkson 2007 (Phillip Jeanmarie)
- Norma Bates 2001-2008 (Marianne Muellerielle)
- Edna Wallace 2002-2008 (Kathleen Noone)
Rescue Me (drama) FX 2004-2011
Sometimes intense, sometimes funny drama about a post-9/11 stationhouse of New York City firemen.
Lead character Tommy Gavin's daughter Colleen is a lesbian.
The station captain's adult son is gay, and in a relationship.
Probie's principal character development in the third season (2006) was to recognize that his "we're not gay" sexual relationship with roommate Chris really meant that he was bisexual.
And Tommy's girlfriend, Sheila (Callie Thorne) sometimes has an eye for the ladies [glaad]. In season four (2007) all of the glbt content was dropped. Silletti announced he was straight, and then became celebate, Peter disappeared after his father died, and Colleen began a series of relationships with men.
- Colleen Gavin (Natalie Distler)
- Peter Reilly (Neal Jones)
- Mike "Probie" Silletti (Mike Lombardi)
- Chris 2006 (Timothy Adams)
Blackpool (musical drama) BBC 2004
Ripley Holden wants to turn British seaside resort Blackpool into the Las Vegas of the U.K.
Ripley's son Danny is implicated in a prostitute's murder while his father is suspected of the fire that destroyed the murder scene.
Seen in the United States under the title Viva Blackpool. An American version, Viva Laughlin (CBS 2007) was cancelled after its second episode, before Ripley's son Jack (Carter Jenkins) did much of anything.
- Danny Holden (Thomas Morrison)
Half & Half (sitcom) UPN 2002-2006
Situation comedy about two half-sisters, one an aspiring sports agent, the other working at a record label.
Adam is the secretary-receptionist at the record company.
- Adam Benet 2004-2006 (Alec Mapa)
Drawn Together (animated sitcom) Comedy Central 2004-2008
Spoof of the "reality show" genre with a house full of cartoon contestants.
Xandir is a gameboy action hero "on a never-ending quest to save [his] girlfriend", until his housemates help him come to terms with his (obvious) homosexuality.
- Xandir P Whifflebottom (Jack Plotnick [voice])
renegadepress.com (teen drama) APTN 2004-2008
Drama centred on a group of teens in highschool who publish an on-line e-zine.
"Truth 'n Rumours" columnist Oscar came out about his bisexuality, much to the embarassment of his girlfriend Patti.
- Oscar Cherniak (Shawn Erker)
Nip/Tuck (medical drama) FX 2003-2010
A Miami cosmetic surgery practice is the setting for this slightly surreal drama.
Liz is an anaesthesiologist.
Plastic surgeon Quentin's bisexuality isn't his only surprise.
In the 2006 season the show played with the obvious sexual undertones of the relationship between the straight leads Dr. Sean MacNamara (Dylan Walsh) and Dr. Christian Troy (Julian McMahon).
- Liz Cruz 2004-present (Roma Maffia)
- Quentin Costa 2005 (Bruno Campos)
Hex (fantasy drama/comedy) Sky One [UK] 2004-2005
Set in a remote British boarding school, a shy student acquires supernatural powers.
The lead character's best friend and roommate Thelma becomes a ghost.
- Thelma Bates (Jemima Rooper)
Desperate Housewives (drama-comedy) ABC 2004-2012
Ensemble comedy-drama about the families of Wisteria Lane. Break-out hit of the 2004/05 season.
Housewife Bree's scheming son Andrew lives to torture his mother. Is sleeping with Justin a genuine expression of his sexuality, or just part of goading mom?
Bree dated recovering sex addict Peter McMillan for five episodes in 2006, until Peter slept with Andrew.
Wisteria Lane acquired it's first resident gay couple, Bob and Lee, in 2007.
Andrew and Alex announced their engagement in December of 2008.
Katherine (Dana Delaney) embarks on a romantic relationship with stripper Robin in 2010.
- Andrew Van DeKamp (Shawn Pyfrom)
- Justin 2005-2006 (Ryan Carnes)
- Peter McMillan 2006 (Lee Tergesen)
- Bob Hunter 2007-present (Tuc Watkins) lawyer
- Lee McDermott 2007-present (Kevin Rahm)
- Alex Cominis 2008-2009, 2011 (Todd Grinnell) plastic surgeon
- Robin 2010 (Julie Benz) stripper
Out Of Practice (sitcom) CBS 2005-2006
Relationship councillor Benjamin Barnes' entire family, both parents, brother and sister, are medical doctors.
All three Barnes children are very competitive, including over eligible women to date.
- Regina Barnes (Paula Marshall)
Fingersmith (period drama miniseries) BBC 2005
Three-episode TV adaptation of the 2002 novel by Sarah Waters.
Sue and Maud are two of the main characters.
- Sue Trinder (Sally Hawkins)
- Maud Lilly (Elaine Cassidy)
Chris & John’s Road Trip (reality) OutTV 2005
Chris & John to the Rescue! (reality) OutTV 2006-present
Chris and John descend on unprepared victims for a visit or a rescue (depending on the season).
Scheduled to appear in the United States on Logo beginning in 2009. A short series of interstitial episodes titled The Chris & John Show appeared on OutTV in 2004.
- Chris Carter
- John Simpson
Veronica Mars (drama/mystery) UPN 2004-2006, CW 2006-2007
Of the several gay characters which have appeared, only Marcos has been on three episodes, all in season two.
- Marcos Oliveres 2005-2006 (Jeremy Ray Valdez)
Shortland Street (serial drama) TVNZ 1992-present
Set in a privately run emergency clinic.
The turbulent courtship and relationship between nurse Maia Jeffries and barmaid Jay Copeland culminated in their civil union on Valentine's Day 2006. The pair went on to plan a family, and Maia gave birth to baby Jay in 2007.
Editing of a bed scene between Gerald and Lindsay caused some controversy in 2008.
See also Shortland Street (1992-2000).
- Maia Jeffries 2004-present (Anna Jullienne) nurse
- Jay Copeland 2004-2007 (Jaime Passier-Armstrong) barmaid
- Gerald Tippett 2007-present (Harry McNaughton)
- Lindsay Reynolds 2008-present (Dwayne Cameron)
- Seth Packhurst 2011-present (Toby Leach) administrator
- Henry Lee 2013-present (?)
Everwood (drama) WB 2002-2006
Family drama centred on the Brown family recently relocated from Manhattan to the small town of Everwood, Colorado.
Son Ephram mentors Kyle while Kyle comes to terms with being gay.
- Kyle Hunter 2005-2006 (Steven R. McQueen)
Doctor Who (science fiction drama) BBC 1963-1989, 2005-present
In this latest incarnation of the long-running British science fiction franchise the doctor's universe includes Jack, a bisexual intergalactic pilot from the future.
After about 5 episodes Harkness spun-off to his own program Torchwood.
- Captain Jack Harkness 2005 (John Barrowman)
My Name Is Earl (situation comedy) NBC 2005-2009
Earl has a second chance in life, and sets out to make amends for his past.
Kenny is an occasional character, appearing typically two or three times per season.
Eventually Kenny and Stuart date.
- Kenny James (Gregg Binkley)
- Stuart Daniels 2006-2009 (Mike O'Malley) police officer
Weeds (comedy/drama) Showtime 2005-present
Comedy about a suburban mother turned marijuana dealer.
- Sanjay 2011-2012 (Maulik Pancholy)
Starved (comedy) FX 2005
Four thirty-something New Yorkers with various eating disorders lean on one another for support in this dark and poignant comedy that chronicles their romantic and personal lives [imdb].
Billie is a recovering bulimic/anorexic who finds that being bisexual is a plus when you're an up-and-coming singer/songwriter [glaad].
- Billie Frasier (Laura Benati)
Coverguy (model search) OutTV c2005-2009
Men compete to win a modelling contract.
- Mathieu Chantelois host
- Maha Rishi stylist
ER (medical drama) NBC 1994-2009
ER featured several glbt characters in the 1990's, only one of which, Dr. Carrie Weaver (Laura Innes) has continued past 2001.
Chaz is Dr. Gregory Pratt's brother.
See also ER (1996-2001).
- Chaz Pratt 2005-2009? (Sam Jones III)
I Now Pronounce You... (interview) OutTV c2005
Host Trevor Boris follows a same-sex couple getting married.
The Office (sitcom) NBC 2005-2013
Situation comedy set in a paper company office in Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Oscar is a closeted accountant for the Dunder-Mifflin paper supply company [glaad].
American version of the British series of the same name.
- Oscar Martinez (Oscar Nunez)
Eyes (detective drama) ABC 2005
Short-lived series about a private investigator.
- Chris Didion (Rick Worthy)
South of Nowhere (drama) The N 2005-2006
A family moves from Ohio to Los Angeles, where they find themselves unprepared for the city's fast pace, and the overcrowded public school that their three teenagers will attend [imdb].
Spencer is a teenager in Los Angeles who knows she's a lesbian but hasn't come out to her friends and family [glaad].
- Spencer Carlin (Gabrielle Christian)
- Ashley Davies (Mandy Musgrave)
Robson Arms (sitcom) CTV 2005-2008
The trials and tribulations of the residents of a run-down Vancouver apartment building. Somewhat revolving cast (as somewhat revolving tenants) means that other than the caretaker, most characters disappear after a while.
Youngish Geoff and not-so-youngish Stanley have a rocky relationship.
- Geoff McAlister 2005 (David Richmond-Peck)
- Stanley Wasserman 2005 (Kevin McNulty)
Commander In Chief (drama) ABC 2005-2006
Drama about the first woman president of the United States.
Vince is a special aide to the president (and a series regular).
- Vince Taylor (Anthony Azizi)
Law & Order (crime drama) NBC 1990-present
Law & Order has been cranking out crime investigation and criminal trial stories for more than a decade and a half.
In ADA Southerlyn's very last scene viewers (and, apparently, the actress) were surprised to discover she was a lesbian. Commentators speculated it was a departing shot at the actress by the writers or producers.
- A.D.A. Serena Southerlyn 2001-2005 (Elisabeth Rohm)
Godiva's (comedy-drama) CityTV and Bravo Canada 2005-2006
Comedy-drama set in the kitchen of a Vancouver restaurant.
Cordell is a waiter with a roving eye.
Schoolteacher Drew is his on-again, off-again boyfriend.
- Cordell (Michael McMurtry)
- Drew (Peter Wilds)
The War At Home (sitcom) Fox 2005-2007
Dysfunctional family sitcom. Parents spend the first part of the first season trying to figure out if nerdy middle child Larry is gay or not.
Unknown to anyone, Larry's best friend Kenny wishes Larry was gay so they could be together forever.
Kenny's first boyfriend Dylan (Jackson Rathbone) appeared in two episodes in February, 2007.
Crumbs (sitcom) ABC 2006
Dysfunctional family sitcom. The Crumbs run a restaurant.
Son Mitch returns from his failed career as a hollywood movie writer to help out in the family business.
- Mitch Crumb (Fred Savage)
Dante's Cove (Supernatural drama) here!tv 2005-2007
The Dante Hotel is the home of a varied group of young people, gay, straight, lesbian and otherwise, and the haunt of the supernatural witch Grace and her unfaithful fiancé Ambrosius whom she imprisoned in the cellar in 1840.
Toby lives at the Dante, and works as a bartender on the beach.
His boyfriend Kevin comes to live with him, but becomes ensnared in the jealousy between Grace and Ambrosius.
After 165 years in the cellar, Ambrosius is liberated by Kevin's kiss, only to renew the contest of wills between himself and Grace.
Toby's straight best friend Adam harbours a secret crush.
Amber and Chrissy meet at a party and make out on the beach.
Michelle is Van's girlfriend.
Marco buys the local bar, H2Eau, and hires Toby.
Grace's sister Diana arrives in 2006 to exact revenge.
Colin and Rex run a local after-hours sex club (See The Lair).
- Toby (Charlie David)
- Kevin Archer (Gregory Michael)
- Ambrosius Vallin (William Gregory Lee)
- Vanessa "Van" 2005-2006 (Nadine Heiman)
- Adam (Stephen Amell 2005, Jon Fleming 2006-2007) wealthy layabout
- Amber 2005 (Zara Taylor)
- Chrissy 2005 (Michaela Mann)
- Michelle 2006-2007 (Erin Cummings 2006, Jill Bennett 2007)
- Marco Laveau 2006-2007 (Gabriel Romero) bar owner
- Kai 2006 (German Santiago)
- Diana Childs 2006-2007 (Thea Gill)
- Cory Dalmass 2005-2006 (Josh Berresford)
- Brit 2006-2007 (Michelle Wolff)
- Brad 2006 (Adrian Quinonez) handyman
- Colin 2006 (Dylan Vox aka Brad Benton) sex club manager
- Rex 2006 (Josh Collins)
- Trevor 2007 (Reichen Lehmkuhl)
- Elena 2007 (Jenny Shimizu) antiquarian
- Griffen 2007 (Jensen Atwood) Tresum Emissary
Noah's Arc (drama) Logo 2005-2006
Four best friends navigate relationships, dating and friendship.
Noah is an aspiring hollywood script writer.
Alex is an HIV educator and Trey is his boyfriend.
Ricky owns an upscale clothing store, and the most active sex life of the four.
Chance is a university professor trying to make a home with his boyfriend Eddie.
Wade is Noah's straight friend, and his boyfriend on the down-low.
Rafael takes a clerk job in Ricky's store.
Chance learns to be a little less square from home-boy T-Money.
Junito, a resident at the hospital where Trey works, volunteers at Alex's HIV clinic, and attracts Ricky's attentions.
- Noah (Darryl Stephens)
- Alex (Rodney Chester)
- Ricky (Christian Vincent)
- Chance (Doug Spearman)
- Wade (Jensen Atwood)
- Trey (Gregory Keith)
- Eddie (Jonathan Julian)
- Rafael (Jeremy Batiste)
- T-Money (Catero Colbert)
- Junito (Wilson Cruz)
Sugar Rush (drama/comedy) C4 2005-2006
Kim is at the centre of her dysfunctional family, a fifteen year old coming to terms with her lesbian identity, and nursing a secret crush on her best friend Maria "Sugar" Sweet (Lenora Crichlow).
G-Spot (situation comedy) The Movie Network 2005-2006
Gigi is an actress trying to resume her stalled career, with the support of her three women friends.
Rick is a rising movie star who sometimes hires Gigi to accompany him to public functions, when taking his boyfriend would be inappropriate.
- Rick Radcliff (Ian Alden)
Sleeper Cell (drama) Showtime 2005-2006
An investigator infiltrates a terrorist cell.
Salim is a gay Muslim terrorist.
Jason is the man he begins developing a relationship with.
- Salim 2006 (Omid Abtahi) terrorist
- Jason 2006 (Michael Rady)
My Fabulous Gay Wedding (reality/documentary) Global 2005, 2007
"Wedding fairy" Scott Thompson and his team plan and pull off a fabulous wedding for a same-sex couple.
Elvira Kurt assumes host responsibilities in the second season.
Seen on Logo in the United States under the title First Comes Love.
- Scott Thompson 2005 host
- Elvira Kurt 2007 host
General Hospital (serial drama) ABC 1963-present
See also General Hospital (1994-1998). Long-running classic American soap opera.
A character since his birth, during the winter of 2005/6 college student Lucas grew to realize he was harboring a secret sure to distress his family situation. Lucas will return to Port Charles in 2014.
Guy and Lucas began dating in May, 2006, and they both promptly disappeared from view.
Nursing student (later Nurse) Felix began at General Hospital in 2012.
Crooked lab technician (later lab manager) Brad has a crush on Felix.
- Lucas Stansbury Jones 1989-2006, 2014-present (Ben Hogestyn (2005-2006), Ryan Carnes (2004-2005, 2014-present))
- Guy Richardson 2006 (Nicholas DiNardo)
- Felix Dubois 2012-present (Marc Anthony Samuel) nursing student
- Brad Cooper 2013-present (Parry Shen) hospital lab manager
As the World Turns (serial drama) CBS 1956-2010
See also As the World Turns (1988-1989). Long-running classic American soap opera.
A character since his birth, in the spring of 2006 teenager Luke came out, to varied reactions from his family and friends. Luke's first crush was his straight best friend Kevin Davis (Karl Girolamo).
Second crush Noah's speedy connection with Maddie Coleman suggested Luke's heart was headed down the wrong path again.
Brian was hired to administer the Luke Snyder Foundation. Even a marriage to Luke's grandmother couldn't help Brian suppress his feelings for Luke.
Fellow Oakdale U student Reg appeared in three 2008 episodes, and met his demise in a one-episode return in February 2009. Reg's (ex-)boyfriend Tony (Tom Baran) appeared twice in 2008.
Abrasive, egotistical Reid Oliver came to Oakdale in early 2010 to treat Noah's blindness.
Soapy plots have included Luke's biological father's attempting to enroll Luke in a deprogramming camp, Noah's crazed, homophobic father, Luke's tenure paralized in a wheelchair, and Noah's green-card-sham marriage to Ameera, a wayward Iraqi. Early story characterized by well-written plot developments separated by weeks or months of the character being sidelined by the writers. A vocal campaign by Luke & Noah fans cracked a 211-day kissing ban maintained by the production company in May of 2008. Eventually, paltry airtime and utterly dreadful writing doomed the couple and snuffed out a fifty-four year old show.
- Luke Snyder né Luciano Eduardo Grimaldi 1995-2010 (Van Hansis (2005-2010))
- Noah Mayer 2007-2010 (Jake Silbermann)
- Brian Wheatley 2008-2009 (Laurence Lau)
- Reg Addington 2008-2009 (Mark Sullivan) student
- Mason Jarvis 2009 (Forbes March) film studies professor
- Dr. Reid Oliver 2010 (Eric Scheffer) brilliant neurosurgeon
The Book of Daniel (drama) NBC 2006
Irreverant drama about an Episcopal priest and his off-the-wall family.
Daniel's oldest son Peter is out to everyone except his imperious grandfather, who sets him up on a date with a girl.
Series cancelled before completing it's 10-episode limited run, either because of poor ratings or for it's alleged anti-religious theme (take your pick).
- Peter Webster (Christian Campbell)
Love Monkey (drama) CBS 2006, VH1 2006
Drama centered on four adult male friends.
Jake is a deeply closeted former Major League Baseball player.
Cancelled after just three episodes aired and before his sexuality could be explored. VH1 broadcast the CBS episodes plus five unaired ones later the same year.
- Jake Dunne (Christopher Wiehl)
Lovespring International (comedy) Lifetime 2006
The improvised comedy series revolves around the wacky goings-on at an elite matchmaking service in Tarzana, California [imdb].
Burke is the closeted Senior Vice President of Lovespring International.
- Burke Kristopher (Sam Pancake)
So NoTORIous (comedy) VH-1 2006
Tori Spelling plays herself, an underdog in the un-celebrity world that she desperately tries to be a part of [tv.com].
Tori's best friend is Sasan, whose traditional Iranian parents are in denial that he's gay [glaad].
Deadwood (western serial drama) HBO 2004-2006
Series set in a lawless settlement in the late 1870's, in what would later become South Dakota.
An old acquaintance of central character Al Swearengen, Langrishe comes to town and opens a theater business. He is enamoured of one of his male actors.
- Jack Langrishe 2006 (Brian Cox)
Project Runway (contest) Bravo [USA] 2004-present
American Idol-esque fashion competition.
Additional contestants eliminated in first or second episode.
- Tim Gunn host
- Michael Kors judge
- Jay McCarroll 2004-2005 contestant
- Santino Rice 2005-2006 contestant
- Nick Verreos 2005-2006 contestant
- Jonathan Kayne Gillaspie 2006 contestant
- Christian Siriano 2007 contestant
- Chris March 2007 contestant
- Steven Rosengard 2007 contestant
- Ricky Lizalde 2007 contestant
- Rami Kashou 2007 contestant
- Jack Mackenroth 2007 contestant
Entourage (drama/comedy) HBO 2005-2011
Movie star Vince Chase (Adrian Grenier) and his entourage navigate hollywood stardom.
Lloyd is the loyal executive assistant to Vince's agent Ari Gold (Jeremy Piven).
- Lloyd 2006-2011 (Rex Lee)
11 Cameras (anthology drama) CBC 2006
The lives of a variety of characters are told through their web-cam conversations.
Colin hides his sexual orientation from his girlfriend Amber, and has a similarly closeted boyfriend from the next town, who he met on-line.
American Dad (animated sitcom) Fox 2005-present
Plot centres around the Smith family, CIA agent Stan, his wife Francine, their children Hayley and Steve, and Roger, an outer-space alien Stan rescued from Area 51.
Terry and Jeff are the nice young bachelors who live across the street. Stan is initially oblivious to the nature of their relationship.
Terry and Jeff's dog is named "Heath Ledger".
- Terry (Mike Barker [voice])
- Jeff (Jeff Fischer [voice])
The Class (situation comedy) CBS 2006-2007
Ensemble-cast sitcom about eight young adults with little in common except that they were all in the same third grade class twenty years earlier.
Kyle was Lina's third-grade crush, and Holly's tragic highschool prom date.
Kyle's lover Aaron finds himself suddenly caught in the middle of decade-old highschool dating baggage.
Holly's straight husband Perry Pearl (Sam Harris) makes everyone's gaydar ping, except Holly's. Mid-season cast cuts reduced or eliminated Holly, Perry and Aaron, and re-worked Kyle as a friend of Ethan's.
- Kyle Lendo (Sean Maguire)
- Aaron 2006 (Cristián de la Fuente)
Donald Strachey Mysteries (movie series) here!tv 2005-2008
Series of detective movies: Third Man Out (2005), Shock to the System (2006), On the Other Hand, Death (2008), and Ice Blues (2008), based on the novel series by Richard Stevenson.
Donald solves mysteries with the help of eager office assistant Kenny and the support of lover Timmy.
- Donald Strachey (Chad Allen) private investigator
- Timmy Callahan (Sebastian Spence) political aide
- Kenny Kwon (Nelson Wong) hotel clerk, then office assistant
24 (drama) Fox 2001-2010
Federal agent Jack Bauer handles national security threats.
The Defense Secretary's son Richard has a one-night stand with a man linked to a terrorist.
- Richard Heller 2005 (Logan Marshall-Green)
Brothers & Sisters (drama) ABC 2006-2011
Complex family drama about two sisters and three brothers, their family business and their family baggage.
Kevin is a lawyer, somewhere in the middle of the Walker clan, and one of the more stable members.
Scotty is a lot of things Kevin is not... younger, more comfortably gay, and independent.
Kevin's uncle Saul came out late in life.
Chad is a closeted soap star who meets Kevin at the gym.
Kevin finally fell in love, with his sister's fiance's brother Jason.
Producers and writers seemed to recognize that Kevin-Scotty made a better pairing, and the couple were re-united, and civil-union'ed by the end of the 2007/08 season.
- Kevin Walker (Matthew Rhys) lawyer
- Scotty Wandell (Luke MacFarlane) office temp/cater-waiter
- Saul Holden (Ron Rifkin)
- Chad Berry 2007, 2009 (Jason Lewis) soap opera star
- Jason McCallister 2007 (Eric Winter) Methodist minister
- Jonathan 2011 (Richard Chamberlain)
How I Met Your Mother (situation comedy) CBS 2005-present
Long running comedy about a group of late twenty-somethings in New York City.
James, Barney's "black, gay" brother appeared in single episodes in 2006 and 2007, twice in 2011, and three times in 2013 [imdb].
- James Stinson 2006-present (Wayne Brady)
All My Children (serial daytime drama) ABC 1970-2011
Erica Kane's lesbian daughter Bianca Montgomery (Eden Riegel) returned full time to the program from fall 2006 to April 2007 (without girlfriend Maggie). (See All My Children 1995-2005).
In what was perhaps one of the most convoluted attempts to avoid portraying a same-sex romance, AMC introduced Zarf, a male-to-female transsexual (played by a male actor) to provide Bianca a love interest.
Bianca returned yet again in 2008, this time accompanied by her wife Reese.
Bianca hires Marissa to handle her divorce from Reece and the two eventually grow closer.
After Bianca and Reese departed for Paris in 2009, Bianca (Eden Riegel 2010, Christina Bennett Lind 2010-2011) returned once more to Pine Valley in 2010 without Reese.
- Freddie "Zarf" Luper, becoming Zoe 2006-2007 (Jeffrey Carlson)
- Reese Williams 2008-2009 (Tamara Braun)
- Marissa Chandler nee Tasker 2009-2011 (Brittany Allen [2009-2010] Sarah Glendening [2010-2011]) lawyer
The View (talk show) ABC 1997-present
Rosie O'Donnell, American television's most visible lesbian, joined this daytime morning chat as a regular in 2006.
- Rosie O'Donnell 2006-2007
Torchwood (science fiction) BBC 2006-present
Doctor Who spin-off, following a group of investigators working for the secret organisation investigating aliens.
Jack is the bisexual leader of the secret "Torchwood" agency.
Ianto is described by another character as Jack's "part time shag".
- Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman)
- Ianto Jones 2006-2009 (Gareth David-Lloyd)
Ugly Betty (comedy/drama) ABC 2006-2010
Office drama/comedy set in the fashion/publishing industry.
Wilhelmina plots to control "Mode" magazine and Marc is her faithful assistant.
Justin's journey to accepting his own sexual orientation percolated in the background throughout the series run. He finally met someone special, Ryan, towards the end of the last season.
Long thought dead, prodigal son Alex returns to claim a share of the family empire a changed person.
Marc meets Cliff at a photoshoot.
Marc met and briefly dated Troy before learning Troy also worked at Mode.
Justin finally found his first love, Austin, in acting class.
Based on the Colombian telenovela Yo Soy Betty La Fea.
- Marc St. James (Michael Urie)
- Justin Suarez (Mark Indelicato)
- Alexis Meade, formerly Alex Meade 2007-2008 (Rebecca Romijn)
- Cliff St. Paul 2007-2008 (David Blue) photographer
- Troy 2009-2010 (Matt Newton)
- Austin 2010 (Ryan McGinnis)
Sinchronicity (drama) BBC3 2006
Six-episode series about a group of people with complicated romantic entanglements.
Jase is central character Nathan's best friend. His girlfriend Fi is Nathan's secret crush. Jase's secret is Mani.
Fay is a male-to-female transsexual who befriends Nathan.
- Jase (Daniel Percival)
- Mani (Navin Chowdhry)
- Fay (John Sheahan)
The State Within (drama miniseries) C4 2006
Six-part miniseries about trans-Atlantic political intrigue.
Brocklehurst is the assistant to the British ambassador.
Jenkins is the American Undersecretary for Defense Intelligence.
Seen in three parts on BBC America in 2007.
- Nicholas Brocklehurst (Ben Daniels)
- Christopher Styles (Noam Jenkins)
Hollyoaks: In the City (serial drama) BBC 2006
Adam is a schoolteacher, just coming to terms with his identity.
Josh is still in school, but knows and likes who he is.
Troy is a model, and straight (but adaptable).
Seen in the United States on BBC America under the title In the City.
- Burton Phillips (Lee Warburton)
- Adam Tyler (Philip Olivier)
- Josh (Oliver Lee)
- Troy (Adam-Jon Fiorentino)
Jacob and Joshua: Nemesis Rising (documentary/reality) Logo 2006
Jacob and Joshua are gay identical twins trying to make it in Hollywood as pop stars. This series follows the two small-town boys from Montana as they try to launch their group "Nemesis Rising". [tv.com]
- Jacob Miller
- Joshua Miller
Hotel Babylon (drama) BBC 2006-2009
Drama among the guests and staff of a five-star hotel in London.
Ben works the front desk.
- Ben Trueman (Michael Obiora) second receptionist
Big Love (drama) HBO 2006-2011
Big Love centres around a polygamist (Bill Paxton) and his relationship with the three wives, all whom he is married to [imdb.com].
Alby's orientation is hidden from his family, especially his father, the prophet (leader) of the Juniper Creek polygamist community.
After Alby's father's death, Dale is appointed to oversee Juniper Creek's business affairs.
- Albert "Alby" Grant (Matt Ross)
- Dale Tomasson 2009-2010 (Ben Koldyke) trustee
The Lair (vampire drama) here!tv 2007-2009
A string of murders leads an investigative journalist to a gay vampire club.
Thom's boyfriend Jonathan gets caught up in the vampire investigation.
Damian is the leader of the vampires.
- Thom Atherton (David Moretti) journalist
- Jonathan Tryon (Jesse Cutlip , Ethan Reynolds )
- Damian (Peter Stickles)
- Eric 2007 (Michael Von Steele)
- Colin (Dylan Vox aka Brad Benton)
- Ian 2008 (Matty Ferraro)
- Dr. Jake Waldman 2008 (Matthew King) botanist
- Tim 2008 (Frankie Valenti) botanist's assistant
- Ritchie 2008 (Bobby Quinn Rice) reporter
Dirt (drama) FX 2007-2008
Tabloid editor digs the dirt on celebrities.
Leo is the editor's brother.
Dawson is a deeply closeted action-movie star.
- Leo Spiller (Will McCormack)
- Jack Dawson (Grant Show)
The Sarah Silverman Program (comedy) Comedy Central 2007-2010
Silverman plays a fictionalized version of herself, an unemployed, immature woman who leads an irresponsible life [Wikipedia].
Brian and Steve are Sarah's neighbours and friends.
- Brian (Brian Posehn)
- Steve (Steve Agee)
Skins (drama/comedy) E4 [U.K.] 2007-present
Drama about eight teenagers and their lives, relationships and troubles.
Maxxie, one of the eight main characters is gay.
- Maxxie 2007-2008 (Mitch Hewer)
- Alex 2012 (Sam Jackson)
A Shot At Love (game show) MTV 2007-2009
A bisexual bachelorette looks for "love" among a group of contestants comprised of lesbians and straight guys.
In the first (2007) and second (2008(i)) series Tia is the judge and prize.
In addition to the contestants listed above, the 2007 game's lesbians eliminated in the first and second episodes were Steffanie, Grace, Lala, Keasha, Brenda, Ellie, Scout, and Chaos.
The 2008(i) early eliminations were Serenity, Lili, Tarra, Janny, Tashi, Rada, and Fame.
For the third series (2008(ii)-2009) the bachelorette role was filled by bisexual identical twins Rikki and Vikki, and the series retitled A Double Shot At Love.
In addition to the above listed 2008(ii) contestants, early eliminations were Kandice "Kandi" Hutchinson, Dana Kelly, Claudia Joseph, and Isabella "Bella" Rabello.
Contestant Angela, eliminated in the first episode of 2008(ii), revealed she was straight as she left.
- Tia Tequila 2007, 2008(i) bachelorette
- Ashli 2007 contestant
- Amanda 2007 contestant
- Brandi 2007 contestant
- Vanessa 2007 contestant
- Dani 2007 contestant
- Sara 2007 contestant
- Rebecca 2007 contestant
- Krystal 2007 contestant
- Lisa 2008(i) contestant
- Michelle 2008(i) contestant
- Sirbrina 2008(i) contestant
- Brittany 2008(i) contestant
- Kristy 2008(i) contestant
- Lauryn 2008(i) contestant
- Glitter 2008(i) (Samantha) contestant
- V 2008(i) contestant
- Rikki 2008(ii)-2009 (Erica Mongeon) bachelorette
- Vikki 2008(ii)-2009 (Victoria Mongeon) bachelorette
- Rebekah Cantrell 2008(ii)-2009 contestant
- Rosemarie Masella 2008(ii)-2009 contestant
- Xoe Blayke 2008(ii)-2009 contestant
- Nicky Geovonie 2008(ii) contestant
- Kali Karibo 2008(ii) contestant
- Jen Riservato 2008(ii) contestant
- Elise Young 2008(ii) contestant
30 Rock (situation comedy) NBC 2006-2013
Comedy set backstage at a show suspiciously similar to Saturday Night Live.
Devon Banks appeared in nine episodes.
- Devon Banks 2007-2013 (Will Arnett) Network Executive
Hollyoaks (drama) C4 1995-present
Serial drama about the lives of teens and young adults.
Craig and Sarah, and John-Paul and Hannah are two couples in their last year of highschool. JP's suppressed feelings for Craig eventually come out.
Meeting Spike finally puts JP on the boyfriend path, but surprisingly arouses jealousy in straight friend Craig.
Kris, who becomes John Paul's friend, has dated both girls and boys.
Kieron insists that as a celebate priest, being gay is largely irrelevant (except to homophobic parishioners).
Ravi and his girlfriend are both having clandestine affairs with Kris.
Beginning in the Fall of 2010 troubled Ste Hay is confused to discover himself drawn sexually to straight boss Brendan.
Brendan is more than willing to use and manipulate Ste's attraction and confusion.
Macca shows up to try and rekindle his relationship with Brendan.
Jason would like to continue a relationship with Bart that began when he was female.
See also Hollyoaks (1995-2001).
- John-Paul "JP" McQueen 2006-2008, 2012-present (James Sutton)
- Spike 2007 (Tom Vaughan) DJ
- Craig Dean 2002-2007, 2008 (Guy Burnet)
- Francis Christopher "Kris" Fisher 2006-2009 (Gerard McCarthy) student
- Fr. Kieron Hobbs 2008 (Jake Hendriks) Catholic priest
- Ravi Roy 2008-2010 (Stephen Uppal)
- Stephen "Ste" Hay 2006-present (Kieron Richardson)
- Brendan Brady 2010-2013 (Emmett Scanlan)
- Macca 2010-2011 (Drew Dillon)
- Jason Costello, formerly Jasmine Costello 2010-2011 (Victoria Atkins)
- Noah Baxter 2011 (Law Thompson) fitness instructor
- George Smith alias Andrew Palmer 2011-present (Steven Roberts) student
- Doug Carter 2010-2012 (PJ Brennan)
- Danny Lomax 2013-present (Stephen Billington) teacher
- Vincent Elegba 2013-present (John Omole) barista
Greek (college drama/comedy) ABC Family 2007-2011
Summer series following the fraternity and sorority crowd at a college.
Omega Chi pledge Calvin was out in highschool but he plays his cards close to his vest in order to fit in.
Heath and Calvin become involved as "funbuddys" (their word) in the first season. They reconnect and start dating by the 2011 season.
- Calvin Owens (Paul James)
- Heath (Zack Lively)
- Michael 2008 (Max Greenfield) teaching assistant
- Grant 2009-2010 (Gregory Michael)
Who Wants To Be A Superhero (game show) SciFi 2006-2007
Contestants compete to become a superhero.
Parthenon is an archeologist whose powers arise from his "Armaguard" an ancient bracelet he found on a dig.
- Parthenon 2007 (Dan Williams)
Flipping Out (reality) Bravo [USA] 2007-present
Jeff Lewis, an obsessive compulsive, high-stakes real estate speculator. He buys million dollar homes in and around Los Angeles, lavishly and loving renovates them and then sells them for a huge profit [AfterElton].
Ryan is Jeff's business partner and ex-boyfriend.
- Jeff Lewis real estate speculator
- Ryan Brown
Mad Men (drama) TBS 2007-present
Set in 1960, this series follows the work and home lives of Madison Avenue ad-men. Beneath the Leave It To Beaver surface lurks a world of misogyny, prejudice, infidelity and lies.
Sal is deeply closeted. Sal is fired after refusing to flirt with a male client.
- Salvatore Romano 2007-2009 (Bryan Batt) graphic designer
Dirty Sexy Money (drama) ABC 2007-2009
A lawyer with a conscious works for a wealthy family that appears to have none.
Family scion Patrick Darling (William Baldwin) keeps his transvestite mistress Carmelita out of sight.
- Carmelita (Candis Cayne / Brendan McDaniel)
Sophie (sitcom) CBC 2008-2009
Sophie's about to have her worst year, ever.
Helping through it all is her loyal best friend Matt.
- Matt Scott (Jeff Geddis) doctor
Men In Trees (drama) ABC 2006-2008
Drama arising from the gender imbalance in an Alaskan community.
Even in rough-and-tumble Alaska, gay men are hairdressers.
- Terri (Mario Cantone) hairdresser
Reaper (supernatural drama) CW 2007-2009
Hardware store employee Sam sends escaped souls back to hell, thanks to his parents selling his soul to the devil before he was born.
Sam and his friends are rattled to learn the new neighbors are no ordinary gay couple. Steve and Tony are demons in league against the devil.
- Steve (Michael Ian Black)
- Tony (Ken Marino)
Rick and Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple in All the World (animated) Pridevision (2001-2002?), Logo 2007-2009
Rick and Steve, and their friends Dana and Kirsten and Chuck and Evan, navigate life and relationships in the gay enclave of West Lahunga Beach (West Brickwood in the 1999 version).
Several short episodes were taped using copyright toys 1999 and these appeared irregularly on Canada's PrideVision circa 2001-2002. When the series was picked up by Logo the show was re-cast and re-filmed.
- Rick (Terence McFarland [voice] 1999, Will Matthews [voice] 2007-2009)
- Steve (Christopher R. Joyce [voice] 1999, Peter Paige [voice] 2007-2009)
- Kirsten (Adrienne Pearson [voice] 1999, Emily Brooke Hands [voice] 2007-2009)
- Dana (Misti Chamkunthod [voice] 1999, Taylor M. Dooley [voice] 2007-2009)
- Chuck (Shaughn Buchholz [voice] 1999, Alan Cumming [voice] 2007-2009)
- Evan (John-Scott Martinez [voice] 1999, Wilson Cruz [voice] 2007-2009)
Waterloo Road (drama) BBC 2006-present
Drama following the lives of students and teachers at an English comprehensive school.
Drama and music teacher Matt lives with his boyfriend Colin (Chris Finch).
- Matt Wilding 2007-2009, 2011-present (Chris Geere) teacher
- Josh Stevenson 2009-present (William Rush) student
- Nate Gurney 2011 (Scott Haining) student
The Tudors (historical serial drama) Showtime 2007-2010
History-based fictional telling of the life of England's King Henry VIII.
The king's close friend William Compton has a secret affair with Thomas Tallis.
After Compton's death, Tallis moves on to court two sisters.
The historically postulated homosexuality of Queen Anne Boleyn's brother George is portrayed as a clandestine love affair with a court musician.
- Sir William Compton 2007 (Kristen Holden-Ried)
- Thomas Tallis 2007 (Joe Van Moyland) court composer
- George Boleyn 2007-2008 (Padraic Delaney)
- Mark Smeaton 2008 (David Alpay) court musician
Gossip Girl (teen drama) CTV, CW 2007-2013
Teenagers from the well-to-do upper east side of New York City cope with teen angst amid the ever-present interference of anonymous Gossip Girl's blog.
Serena's little brother Eric is outed after he's spotted kissing Jenny's boyfriend Asher Hornsby (Jesse Swenson).
Based on the series of teen novels by Cecily von Ziegesar. In the novels Serena's older brother Erik (with a "k") van der Woodsen was straight.
- Eric van der Woodsen 2007-2011 (Connor Paolo) student
- Jonathan Whitney 2008-2009 (Matt Doyle)
The Mole (gameshow) ABC 2001-2004, 2008
Game show where one of the contestants is secretly trying to sabotage the others.
General Hospital: Night Shift (serial drama) SOAPnet 2007-2009
Evening spinoff of daytime's General Hospital.
Kyle develops a relationship with patient Eric in September of 2008.
- Kyle Julian 2008-present (Adam Grimes) intern
- Eric Whitlow 2008 (Chad Allen)
Do Not Disturb (hotel sitcom) Fox 2008
Upstairs downstairs comedy set in a hotel.
Larry, head of housekeeping, is part of the downstairs group.
- Larry (Jesse Tyler Ferguson)
True Blood (vampire drama) HBO 2008-2014
Southern gothic vampire drama. Vampires seek acceptance and tolerance among the living.
Lafayette seeks his own acceptance in the intolerant south, while dealing in illicit narcotics derived from vampire blood.
Eddie is Lafayette's source, exchanging blood for sex.
In season three Lafayette meets Jesus, the nurse looking after Lafayette's crazy mother.
Russell is a 3,000 year old vampire who sees humans as nothing more than useful for vampire food.
Russell's consort is Talbot, another vampire.
- Lafayette Reynolds (Nelsan Ellis) diner cook
- Eddie 2008 (Stephen Root)
- Jesus Velasquez 2010-2011 (Kevin Alejandro)
- Russell Edgington 2010, 2012 (Denis O'Hare) Vampire King of Mississippi
- Talbot 2010 (Theo Alexander)
- Pam Swinford de Beaufort (Kristin Bauer)
- Steve Newlin 2008-2013 (Michael McMillan)
Saturday Night Live (sketch comedy/variety) NBC 1975-present
Staple of the NBC Saturday late night programming for decades, unambiguously LGBT characters have been few and far between.
Stefon appeared often on the &ldquo
For a few notes on some &ldquo maybe&rdquo characters see Saturday Night Live (Some Also Rans).
- Stefon Mayers (nÃ© Zoelesky) 2008-2013 (Bill Hader) Weekend Update&rdquo segment offering bizzare advice on New York nightspots wholey unsuited to his middle-class tourist audience. culture corresponent
Grey's Anatomy (drama) ABC 2005-present
Hospital interns and doctors form the core of this soapy medical drama.
The romance between doctors Hahn and Ramirez ended suddenly, when producers claimed it wasn't working dramatically.
- Dr. Callie Torres 2006-present (Sara Ramirez) doctor
- Dr. Erica Hahn 2008 (Brooke Smith) doctor
Lipstick Jungle (drama) NBC 2008
Light drama (or drama-comedy) from Sex and the City writer Candace Bushnell starring Brooke Shields.
Casualty (hospital drama) BBC 1986-present
Medical drama set in the emergency department of Holby General hospital.
See also Casualty (1996-2000).
- Dr. Toby de Silva 2007-2009 (Matthew Needham)
- Ben Harding 2008-present (Mark Letheren) medical counsellor
Beautiful People (sitcom) BBC2 2008
Six-part miniseries which moves back and forth between 1997 Reading, England, and present day New York City, following the life of Simon, the creative director at Barney's Department Store.
Sacha is Simon's NYC boyfriend.
- Simon (Samuel Barnett) department store creative director
- Sacha (Gary Amers)
- Simon (age 11) (Luke Ward-Wilkinson)
No Heroics (superhero sitcom) ITV2 2008
The hot-mess ordinary lives of off-duty superheroes.
Timebomb can see sixty seconds into the future, often enough to see if his pick-up line will succeed.
- Don, "Timebomb" (James Lance)
Raw (restaurant drama) RTÉ Two 2008, 2010-present
Drama centred in the kitchen of a Dublin restaurant.
Brash, egotistical Aussie chef Geoff and shy Czech waiter Pavel make an unlikely couple.
After Pavel and Geoff break up, Pavel starts dating Jack.
- Geoff Mitchell 2008-2013 (Damon Gameau) sous chef
- Pavel Rebien 2010-2012 (Krystof Haydek) waiter
- Dr. Jack Flynn 2011 (Peter Campion) doctor
Privileged (drama) CW 2008-2009
Drama centred largely on two sisters, children of a wealthy family.
Faithful family servant Marco is a an island of calm and sage advice.
Marco and his fiancé Keith married in the 08/09 season finale.
- Marco (Allan Louis) chef
- Keith (David Monahan)
Guiding Light (serial drama) radio 1937-1956, CBS 1952-2009
Oldest television program in the world. Known as The Guiding Light 1937-1978.
In 2009 two women with heterosexual track records shared a romantic kiss.
See also Guiding Light (1995-1997).
- Olivia Spencer 1999-2009 (Crystal Chappell)
- Natalia Rivera 2007-2009 (Jessica Leccia)
- Doris Wolfe 1999-2009 (Orlagh Cassidy)
Moral Orel (animation situation comedy) Cartoon Network/Adult Swim 2005-2008
Stop-motion animation comedy about an eleven-year-old boy named Orel who tries but generally fails to live by his flawed interpretation of Christian morality.
Coach is obsessed with Orel's father Clay Puppington and their affair is eventually exposed.
- Daniel Stopframe (Jay Johnston [voice] (2005-2007), Scott Adsit [voice] (2008)) coach
The United States of Tara (drama) Showtime 2009-2011
Tara is a wife and mother, and her family has learned to cope with her several different personalities.
Some of Tara's personalities accept son Marshall's sexual orientation, others don't.
Ted and Hany are the neighbourhood gay couple.
- Marshall Gregson (Keir Gilchrist)
- Lionel Trane 2010-2011 (Michael J. Willett) student
- Ted Mayo 2010-2011 (Michael Hitchcock)
- Hany 2010 (Sammy Sheik)
- Noah Kane 2011 (Aaron Christian Howles) student
White Collar (detective) USA 2009-present
An FBI unit employs a dashing con-man to investigate white collar crimes.
Agent Barrigan isn't distracted by Neil's charm.
- Diana Barrigan (Marsha Thomason) FBI agent
Undercover Princes (reality) BBC3 2009
Three royal claimants share a house in Brighton and try to live as ordinary folk.
Part of Manvendra Singh Gohil's goals is to meet a man for a romantic relationship.
- Manvendra Singh Gohil, Crown Prince of Rajpipla
Kings (drama) NBC 2009
Political drama in an alternate universe 21st Century american kingdom.
Jack is the son and heir of Gilboa's King Silas.
Jack's boyfriend Joseph survives just long enough to appear in three episodes.
Unlike in the original source material, David (Christopher Egan) isn't gay or bisexual.
- Jonathan "Jack" Benjamin (Sebastian Stan) prince
- Joseph Lasile (Michael Arden)
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (drama) BBC and HBO 2009
Series based on the novels of the same title, about a detective agency in Botswana.
BK is the owner of the Last Chance Salon and friend to the lead character.
- BK (Desmond Dube) hair stylist
Southland (police drama) NBC 2009, TNT 2010-2013
Ensemble drama following the work lives of several Los Angeles beat cops and detectives.
Rookie Ben learns what it really means to be a cop from his experienced training officer John Cooper.
TNT picked up the series, rebroadcasting the NBC episodes followed by the remainder of the production.
- John Cooper (Michael Cudlitz) training officer
The Young and the Restless (serial drama) CBS 1973-present
Most popular of the American daytime soap operas.
Phillip Chancellor III returned in 2009 to report that he had faked his 1989 death in order to escape to Australia and find himself as a gay man.
Writers made little use of Phillip or Rafe.
- Rafael "Rafe" Torres 2008-2011 (Yani Gellman) lawyer
- Phillip Chancellor III 1981-1983, 1986-1989, 2009 (Thom Bierdz (1986-1989, 2009))
American Idol (talent/game show) Fox 2002-present
American copy of the British series Pop Idol. Contestants compete for a recording contract.
Adam was runner-up in the 2009 series.
Sordid Lives: The Series (situation comedy) Logo 2008
The sordid lives of the Texas white-trash Ingram family.
Grandson Ty is trying to make it as an actor in Hollywood.
Jacob meets Ty at a casting call for the play "Naked Boys Singing."
Ty's uncle "Brother Boy" is the family secret, a Tammy Wynette impersonator locked up in a mental hospital.
- Ty Williamson (Jason Dottley) actor
- Jacob (Ted Detwiler) actor
- Earl "Brother Boy" Ingram (Leslie Jordan)
Raising the Bar (legal drama) TNT 2008-2010
The series revolves around a group of law school classmates who find themselves on opposite sides of the criminal law (Wikipedia).
- Albert Farnsworth 2009-2010 (John Michael Higgins) judge
- Charlie Sagansky (Jonathan Scarfe)
Australia's Perfect Couple (game show) 9NA 2009
Eight newlywed couples compete for a $250,000 prize.
Robbie and Dan have been together for seven years.
Doctors (serial drama) BBC 2000-present
Doctors tells the story of the staff at the fictional Mill Health Centre and Letherbridge Universities Campus Surgery.
When Ollie met Greg he thought Greg was interested in Caroline.
Greg rushes into marrying his Goan boyfriend Rico so he can stay in the country, but their relationship founders when Rico's baby son comes between them.
Simon is a quite shy, professional but very friendly GP.
Todd appeared in four episodes as Simon's boyfriend.
- Dr. Oliver "Ollie" Berg 2002-2003 (Laurence Penry-Jones) doctor
- Dr. Greg Robinson 2004-2007 (Ben Jones) doctor
- Rico Da Silva 2006-2007 (Felix D'Alviella) journalist
- Dr. Simon Bond 2009-2011 (David Sturzaker) doctor
- Todd Delaney 2009 (Shai Matheson)
Glee (comedy-drama-musical) Fox 2009-present
A highschool glee club mixing cool and uncool kids, and their equally diverse teachers. Show combines over-the-top comedy, dramatic subplots, and show choir performances.
Kurt is one of the core group of Glee kids, as much an outsider for being a glee kid as for being openly gay in highschool.
Kurt meets Blaine, lead singer of the competing Dalton Academy Warblers. Blaine eventually follows Kurt to McKinley.
Football player Karofsky bullies Kurt but it's a projection of self-loathing.
Surprise hit of the 2009/10 season.
- Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer) student
- Blaine Anderson 2010-present (Darren Criss) student
- Dave Karofsky 2009-2012 (Max Adler) student
- Santana Lopez (Naya Rivera) student
- Brittany S. Pierce (Heather Morris) student
- Sebastian Smythe 2011-2012, 2014 (Grant Gustin) warbler
- Wade "Unique" Adams 2012-2014 (Alex Newell) student
- Adam Crawford 2013 (Oliver Kieran-Jones)
- Elliot "Starchild" Gilbert 2013-2014 (Adam Lambert) student/singer
- Dani 2013-2014 (Demi Lovato)
The Secret Life of the American Teenager (teen drama) ABC Family 2008-present
Drama amongst a group of teenagers.
Griffin is Ashley's gay best friend.
Donovan and Leon are an ideal couple to adopt a teen couple's baby.
In the series of episodes airing in the summer of 2010 Griffin meets and starts dating Peter. Strangely, in a show about sexually active (and often pregnant) teens, Griffin and Peter decide not to have sex.
Once Griffin and Peter began dating they essentially disappeared on screen.
- Griffin 2009-present (Brando Eaton)
- Donovan 2008-2009 (Alex Boling)
- Leon 2009 (Larry Sullivan)
- Peter 2010-present (Kristopher Higgins) student
Melrose Place (drama) CW 2009-2010
Remake of the 1990s show of the same name.
Caleb smokes cigars, likes the Los Angeles Lakers, collects sports memorabilia, drinks Scotch, likes guys and is not afraid to admit it [AE].
- Caleb Brewer (Victor Webster)
Modern Family (sitcom) ABC 2009-present
Three modern families, including a same-sex couple and their baby.
- Mitchell Pritchett (Jesse Tyler Ferguson)
- Cameron Tucker (Eric Stonestreet)
Mercy (medical drama) NBC 2009-2010
Angel is a nurse in this medical drama.
- Angel Garcia (Guillermo Diaz) nurse
Trauma (paramedic drama) NBC 2009-2010
Drama following the lives of San Francisco EMT paramedics.
Tyler comes out to his partner in the midst of Hallowe'en in the Castro.
- Tyler Briggs (Kevin Rankin) EMT paramedic
1 Girl 5 Gays (talk) MTV Canada 2009-present
Host Aliya Jasmin Sovani and a rotating panel of five gay men answer 20 questions about love and sex.
- Brett Ashley
- Kash Baloch
- Matt Barker
- JP (Jean-Paul Bevilacqua)
- Alex Brown
- Juan Manuel Gonzalez Calcaneo
- Ryan Carter
- Adam Chan
- Andrew Charles Edwards
- Ish (Ishmael Furoz)
- Shawn Hitchins
- Taylor James
- Gerry King
- Gaelan Love
- Ian Lynch
- Simon Lysnes
- Dean McArthur
- Jonathan Morton-Schuster
- Jake Mossop
- Jonathan Nathaniel
- Joseph Palmeri
- David Robert
- Ralph Rosario
- Santos (Matthew Santos)
- Matt Sims
- Marc Andrew Smith
- Philip Tetro
- Thomas Trafford
- Yerxa (Michael Yerxa)
- Max Claude
Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (police/legal drama) NBC 1999-present
Cops and lawyers handle cases involving sexually-based crimes.
Staff psychiatric advisor George Huang mentioned his being gay in a 2009 episode.
Detective Fin Tutuola's gay son Ken has appeared periodically since 2004.
- Dr. George Huang 2001-2011 (B.D. Wong) psychiatrist
- Ken Randall 2004-present (Ernest Waddell)
Flash Forward (drama) ABC 2009-2010
People have experienced a brief vision of their future. Why did it happen? What does it mean? Can they change their futures?
Janis Hawk is one of the agents working with Agent Mark Benford (Joseph Fiennes) to solve the mystery of the FF. [AE]
- Janis Hawk (Christine Woods) investigator
Caprica (science fiction drama) SyFy 2010
Set in the same universe as Battlestar Galactica, Caprica depicts events six decades before.
Sam's life is divided between his husband and his job as a Tauron enforcer.
Clarice is a key figure in the monotheistic resistance. Her domestic life is centered on her communal marriage with several women and men, including husbands Nestor Willow (Scott Porter) and Olaf Willow (Panou), and wife Mar-Beth Willow (Anita Torance).
- Sam Adama (Sasha Roiz)
- Clarice Willow (Polly Walker)
Spartacus (period drama/action) Starz 2010-2013
Barca is a gladiator in the ludus of Batiatus.
Pietros is Barca's lover and acknowledged as such by the other gladiators.
Agron joins Spartacus' revolt when his brother is killed by Romans.
Tiberius initially resists joining the rebellion but eventually does, reclaiming his Syrian name Nasir. Without fighting skills Nasir is encouraged to gain position amongst the rebels by taking a gladiator as a lover.
Both gay characters meet their ends early in the series. Each season's title included a unique subtitle. Season one  was Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Second season  was a prequel to the first, titled Spartacus: Gods of the Arena. Third season (2012) titled Spartacus: Vengeance. Fourth (final) season  titled Spartacus: War of the Damned.
- Barca "the Beast of Carthage" 2010, 2011 (Antonio Te Maioho) gladiator
- Pietros 2010 (Eka Darville) slave
- Auctus 2011 (Josef Brown) gladiator
- Agron 2010, 2012-2013 (Daniel Feuerriegel) gladiator
- Nasir [slave name Tiberius] 2012-2013 (Pana Hema Taylor) household slave
- Castus 2013 (Blessing Mokgohla) pirate
The Kids In the Hall: Death Comes to Town (sitcom) CBC 2010
The Kids In the Hall return to television with an eight episode limited run series. Each actor plays several roles.
One of Thompson's roles is Dusty Diamond, the town corner. Dusty carried a torch for the obnoxious mayor and just can't bring himself to part with the corpse.
- Dusty Diamond (Scott Thompson) coroner
Nurse Jackie (medical drama) Showtime 2009-present
Nurse Jackie struggles to find a balance between the demands of her frenetic job at a New York City hospital and an array of personal dramas [imdb].
- Mohammed "Mo-Mo" De La Cruz 2009 (Haaz Sleiman) nurse
- Thor (Stephen Wallem) nurse
One Tree Hill (serial drama) CW 2003-present
Plot in the 2010 season about a closeted actor.
- Josh Avery 2010 (Paul Teal) actor
My Family (situation comedy) BBC 2000-2011
Comedy about Ben, a dentist, and his family. They don't exactly get along well [imdb].
Son Michael came out in 2010.
- Michael Harper (Gabriel Thomson)
Being Erica (supernatural drama) CBC 2009-present
Erica's therapist sends her back in time to relive, or even change, events in her life.
Dave join the cast in the second season as a barista/manager of Erica's favourite coffee shop
His partner Ivan appeared in the third season when they bought the coffee shop.
- Dave 2009-present (Bill Turnbull) barista/manager
- Ivan 2010-present (Michael Northey) coffeshop owner
The Closer (crime drama) TNT 2005-present
Police detectives investigate major crimes.
- Dr. Morales 2007-present (Jonathan Del Arco) medical examiner
Rubicon (Espionage Drama) AMC 2010
Drama following the lives of intelligence analysts.
Ingram is one of the directors at the American Policy Institute, a shadowy organization that facilitates the communication of secrets among America's security agencies and the military [AE].
- Kale Ingram (Arliss Howard) director
90210 (drama) CW 2008-2013
Reboot of the 90's classic Beverly Hills, 90210.
Teddy's life is all about doing what his father wants him to do, including playing tennis and being straight.
After an injury ends Teddy's tennis career, Ian changes Teddy's life even more.
Teddy meets Shane in Barcelona and they begin dating.
- Teddy Montgomery 2009-2011, 2012-2013 (Trevor Donovan) student
- Ian 2010-2011 (Kyle Riabko) student
- Marco Salazar 2011 (Freddie Smith)
- Shane 2011 (Ryan Rottman)
Pretty Little Liars (drama) ABC Family 2010-present
A clique of teenage girls begin to receive taunting messages from someone who disappeared a year before.
Emily befriends new girl Maya, and they grow closer.
- Emily Fields (Shay Mitchell)
- Maya St. Germain (Bianca Lawson)
- Paige McCullers (Lindsey Shaw)
- Samara Cook 2010-2012 (Claire Holt)
Downton Abby (period drama) ITV 2010-present
Upstairs/downstairs drama in an English manor house. The Earl's heirs perish on the Titanic promoting a distant cousin to be heir.
Ambitious footman Thomas may charm the servant girls but he spent the previous summer in the Duke of Crowborough's bed.
- Thomas Barrow (Rob James-Collier) footman
Two and a Half Men (situation comedy) CBS 2003-present
Long running situation comedy about two brothers, Charlie, a hedonistic party animal, and Alan, a divorced dad, sharing a beach house.
Charlie's girlfriend/fiancee Chelsea's dad Tom appeared in four episodes.
Tom's old war buddy Ed appeared in three episodes, long enough for Tom and Ed to fall in love.
In 2013 Jenny, deceased Charlie's long lost daughter, comes to live with Alan.
Initially Alan's ex-wife Judith had left Alan for a woman, but through most of the show's run Judith was dating men.
- Tom 2010 (Stacy Keach)
- Ed 2010 (John Amos)
- Jenny 2013-present (Amber Tamblyn)
$#*! My Dad Says (sitcom) CBS 2010-2011
A crusty dad (William Shatner) gets to know the son he never raised.
Ed gets Tim fired from the DMV, then from a waitering job.
In Treatment (drama) HBO 2009-2011
Psychiatrist Paul Weston (Gabriel Byrne) treats a wide spectrum of troubled people.
Jesse is a rebellious teen dealing with being adopted. Promiscuity appears to be part of his acting out.
- Jesse D'Amato 2010 (Dane DeHaan)
Outland (comedy) ABCTV 2011
Outland orbits around a gay science-fiction fan club, and the lives, loves and never-ending dramas of its members.
Six-episode limited series.
- Rae (Christine Anu)
- Toby (Ben Gerrard)
- Andy (Paul Ireland)
- Fab (Adam Richard)
- Max (Toby Truslove)
Shameless (drama) Showtime 2011-present
Life in the strangely functional Gallagher family, Frank, his six children and their various friends and relationships.
Middle child Ian has an after-school job at the local convenience store, where he is also having an affair with his married boss Kash.
The Milkoviches are the Gallaghers' most dangerous neighbours.
American remake of the British show of the same name (see Shameless).
- Ian Gallagher (Cameron Monaghan)
- Kash 2011-2012 (Pej Vahdat) convenience store operator
- Mickey Milkovich (Noel Fisher)
- Lloyd Lishman 2012-present (Harry Hamelin) Doctor
The Cleveland Show (animated sitcom) Fox 2009-2012
Spin-off from Family Guy centred on the Cleveland Brown character.
Cleveland's co-worker and friend Terry turns out to be gay.
- Terry Kimple (Jason Sudeikis [voice])
Gigantic (teen drama) TeenNick 2010-2011
Drama/comedy about teens growing up with Hollywood celebrity culture.
Teens discover that dad is gay and his marriage is a Hollywood cover.
Happy Endings (situation comedy) ABC 2011-2013
Six twenty-something friends adjust when the couple amongst them splits up.
Max and the others have to figure out how the group stays friends without choosing sides between the broken-up couple.
- Max Blum (Adam Pally)
- Grant 2012 (James Wolk)
- Derrick (Stephen Guarino)
Game of Thrones (fantasy drama) HBO 2011-present
Miniseries based on the A Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R.R. Martin.
King Robert's youngest brother Renly is fourth in line to the throne. He and his lover Loras are one faction contesting for Robert's throne.
- Renly Baratheon 2011-2012 (Gethin Anthony) King's brother
- Loras Tyrell (Finn Jones) Knight of Flowers
- Prince Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper 2014-present (Pedro Pascal)
Holby City (medical drama) BBC 1999-present
Serial drama following the professional and personal lives of medical and ancillary staff at Holby City Hospital.
- Antoine Malick 2011-2013 (Jimmy Akingbola) General surgical registrar
- Dan Hamilton 2011-2013 (Adam Astill) doctor
- Dominic Copeland 2013-present (David Ames) nurse
The Hard Times of RJ Berger (situation comedy) MTV 2010-2011
Nerdy RJ navigates highschool and a tumultuous homelife. His only advantage is an exceptional endowment.
At the end of the second season RJ discovers that his main tormentor, popular good looking jock Max, is deeply closeted.
- Max Owens (Jayson Blair) student
Teen Wolf (supernatural drama) MTV 2011-present
Highschool student Scott becomes a werewolf after being bitten in an apparent animal attack. He then finds himself at the centre of a struggle between werewolves and their hunters, challenged to protect his friends from both sides.
Danny is the best friend of Jackson (Colton Haynes) who is at least initially rivals with Scott. Danny is out and like most of the male teenage characters, plays on the school's lacrosse team.
Alpha werewolf Ethan's infiltration strategy is to date Danny.
- Danny Mahealani (Keahu Kahuanui) highschool student
- Ethan 2013-present (Charlie Carver) student
Days of Our Lives (serial drama) NBC 1965-present
Serial drama about the lives of middle and upper-class professionals in the middle-American town named Salem.
Sonny is out and proud, and accepted by his parents.
Will struggles with his relationship with Gabrielle, which just doesn't seem right for him.
Murder charges against Will for the death of Stefano Dimera were dropped when it came to light that Will was on a date with Neil at the time.
Skittish producers and a revolving door on the writers' room slowed the early story, finally picking up when the old writers were rehired.
- Jackson "Sonny" Kiriakis 1991, 2011-present (Freddie Smith [2011-present])
- William "Will" Horton aka Will Roberts, ne William Robert Reed 1995-present (Chandler Massey [2010-2013], Guy Wilson [2014-present])
- Dustin 2012 (Taylor Frey)
- Karim 2012 (Justin Chu Cary)
- Neil Holtgren 2012 (Jesse Kristofferson)
- Brian 2012-2013 (Brant Daugherty)
Warehouse 13 (fantasy drama/comedy) SyFy 2009-2014
The series follows United States Secret Service agents when they are assigned to the government's secret Warehouse 13, which houses supernatural "artifacts".
Jinks has been recruited to the Warehouse 13 team because of his unerring ability to tell when people are lying.
- Steve Jinks 2011-2014 (Aaron Ashmore) ATF agent
Sirens (comedy) C4 2011
The work and personal lives of three paramedics.
See also Sirens (USA).
- Ashley Greenwick (Richard Madden) paramedic
- Ryan Bailey (Kobna Holdbrook-Smith) police officer
Happily Divorced (situation comedy) TVLand 2011-2013
Fran Lovett (Fran Drescher) and her husband of 18 years, Peter, adjust to being best friends after Peter comes out.
- Peter Lovett (John Michael Higgins) real estate agent
Archer (animated spy comedy) FX 2009-present
The inept agents of ISIS somehow manage to stumble into solving their cases.
Ray is one of the few competent ISIS agents, a friend to agent Lana Kane.
- Ray Gillette (Adam Reed [voice]) secret agent
The Playboy Club (period drama) NBC 2011
Drama set in the early 1960's Playboy Club in Chicago.
Alice and her husband are partners in a "lavender" marriage, and early members of the Mattachine Society.
- Alice Beasley (Leah Renee Cudmore) bunny
- Sean Beasley (Sean Maher) speechwriter
The Vampire Diaries (supernatural drama) CW 2009-present
The teens of Mystic Falls include humans, vampires, werewolves and witches.
Vampire Caroline's estranged father Bill comes to town in 2011. In 2012 he choses death over becoming a vampire.
- Bill Forbes 2011-2012 (Jack Coleman)
Allen Gregory (animated sitcom) Fox 2011
Pretentious obnoxious seven year old Allen Gregory DeLongpre looks down his nose at his entire world.
Richard and Jeremy are Allen Gregory's dads.
- Richard DeLongpre (French Stewart [voice])
- Jeremy DeLongpre (Nat Faxon [voice])
Revenge (drama) ABC 2011-present
Amanda Clarke assumes a new identity to return to the Hamptons to destroy those who destroyed her family.
Nolan is one of the very few who know Emily is really Amanda. Nolan says he's a "Kinsey three".
Tyler and Nolan strike a bargain, in bed.
- Nolan Ross (Gabriel Mann) tech billionaire
- Tyler Barrol 2011-2012 (Ashton Holmes)
- Marco Romero 2012-2013 (E.J. Bonilla) former NolCorp CFO
- Patrick Osbourne 2013 (Justin Hartley)
The Slap (drama) ABCTV1 2011
Eight episode drama about the consequences of a socially unacceptable incident at a neighbourhood barbecue.
Richie becomes entangled in a dispute between is best friend Connie and Harry, the perpetrator of the infamous slap.
- Richie (Blake Davis) student
Awkward. (situation comedy) MTV 2011-present
Comedy centred around teenager Jenna Hamilton and the endless awkward events of her life.
Occasional character Clark is an out student, and a friend of Jenna's.
- Clark Stevenson (Joey Haro) student
- Theo 2014-present (Evan Crooks) student
- Cole 2014-present (Monty Greer) student
Suburgatory (situation comedy) ABC 2011-present
A father and daughter are transplanted from Manhattan to suburbia.
- Mr. Wolfe 2011-2013 (Rex Lee) teacher
The L.A. Complex (drama) CTV 2012-2013
A diverse group of young people are trying to break into show business in Los Angeles.
Tariq hopes to break into hip-hop as a songwriter and producer.
Kal's reputation as an edgy, dangerous, womanizing thug with talent can't be compromised.
- Tariq Muhammad (Benjamin Watson)
- Kaldrick "The King of Cali" King né Sean Duggan (Andra Fuller) hip-hop star
- Christopher Taylor (Jarod Joseph) lawyer
Pan Am (period drama) ABC 2011-2012
Set in the early 1960's at the dawn of the jet age, the drama follows the personal and professional lives of a crew of pilots and stewardesses.
Pilot Ted's high society fiancee Amanda is determined to make a success of their marriage and confesses she doesn't understand why she prefers the company of other women.
- Amanda Mason (Ashley Greene)
Smash (drama) NBC 2012-2013
Drama backstage in the production of a Broadway musical.
Writing the musical are composer Tom and lyricist Julia Houston (Debra Messing).
A general pruning of peripheral storylines for the second season eliminated several characters' off-stage lives including much of Tom's.
- Tom Leavitt (Christian Borle) composer
- John Goodwin 2012 (Neal Bledsoe) lawyer
- Dennis 2012-2013 (Phillip Spaeth) dancer
- Bobby (Wesley Taylor) dancer
- Sam Strickland 2012-2013 (Leslie Odom, Jr.) dancer
- Kyle Bishop 2013-present (Andy Mientus)
- Blake 2013 (Daniel Abeles)
NCIS (procedural drama) CBS 2003-present
Police procedural drama set in the Naval Criminal Investigative Service
- Ned Dorneget 2011-present (Matt L. Jones) NCIS Probationary Agent
GCB (comedy-drama) ABC 2012
Former highscool frenemies Amanda, Carlene, Sharon, and Cricket are reunited with the dynamics changed.
Blake is Cricket's husband.
Series originally titled Good Christian Bitches then Good Christian Belles.
- Blake Reilly (Mark Deklin)
Whitney (situation comedy) NBC 2011-2013
Relationship comedy centred around Whitney and her longtime boyfriend Alex.
After Whitney's friends Lily and Neal break off their engagement, Neal begins to date Steven from his office. The character was written out a few episodes later.
- Neal 2012 (Maulik Pancholy)
Dance Academy (teen drama) ABCTV 2010, 2012-present
Drama following the students of a dance academy.
When second year student Sammy is assigned a tutor from third year, the two grow closer. Sammy's first step is to admit to his friends that he's a straight guy with a boyfriend.
- Ollie 2012-present (Keiynan Lonsdale) third year student
- Sammy Lieberman 2010, 2012 (Tom Green) dance student
6Degrees (drama) BBC 2012-present
Drama set amongst Belfast football players.
Team captain Conor hides his relationship with Justin.
- Conor Martin (Cillian O'Sullivan)
- Justin Pollock (Ben Peel) bartender
The Bold and the Beautiful (serial drama) CBS 1987-present
Daytime soap opera set in the fashion industry.
On screen off and on since 1991, Karen's sexual orientation was only revealed in 2012.
- Karen Spencer 1991-1994, 2009, 2011, 2012-present (Joanna Johnson)
- Danielle 2012-present (Crystal Chappelle)
Don't Trust the B**** In Apartment 23 (situation comedy) ABC 2012-2013
A naive Indianan shares a New York apartment with Chloe, the title character.
Chloe's best friend is neighbor James Van Der Beek (James Van Der Beek). Luther is James' assistant.
- Luther (Ray Ford) personal assistant
The Borgias (historical drama) Bravo [Canada] 2011-2013
Drama following the lives of Pope Alexander VI and his family in Rome at the end of the 15th Century.
The Pope's son Cardinal Cesare Borgia depends on his ruthless mercenary Michelotto to deal with family enemies. In the second (2012) season a mission in Michelotto's home town includes a nighttime assignation with a boyhood lover. (The historical Michelotto's sexuality is probably not known).
In season three Michelotto acquires a lover, Pascal.
Seen in the United States on Showtime.
- Michelotto Corella (Sean Harris) condottiero [mercenary]
- Pascal 2013 (Charlie Carrick)
Winners & Losers (drama) 7N 2011-present
Winners & Losers focuses on the lives of four women living in Melbourne, after they win a large amount of money in the Oz Lotto.
- Jonathan Kurtis (Damien Bodie)
- Rhys Mitchell (Nick Simpson-Deeks)
Girls (situation comedy) HBO 2012-present
A group of women in their early 20s navigate life and relationships in New York City.
Friend and former highschool boyfriend Elijah appears occasionally.
- Elijah Krantz (Andrew Rannells)
Offspring (comedy-drama) TEN 2010-present
Comedy-drama following modern life in a circle of friends and family around an obstretician.
When Mick and Billie have trouble conceiving they turn to Mick's brother Andrew.
- Andrew Holland 2011-2012 (Dan Spielman)
Mrs. Brown's Boys (situation comedy) RTÉ/BBC 2011-present
Situation comedy about Mrs. Brown and her family.
Rory is the second of Mrs. Brown's five children.
Dino is Rory's husband.
- Rory Brown (Rory Cowan)
- Dino Doyle (Gary Hollywood)
Political Animals (drama) USA 2012
TJ is the first openly gay son of an American president.
- Thomas "TJ" Hammond (Sebastian Stan)
Anger Management (situation comedy) FX 2012-present
Dr. Charlie Goodson (Charlie Sheen) is an anger management therapist in need of some anger management therapy himself.
Patrick is in group anger management therapy under Dr. Goodson.
Saving Hope (medical drama) CTV 2012-present
Drama centered on doctor Alex Reid who must hold onto hope when her fiance, another doctor at the same hospital, falls into a coma after a traffic accident.
Among the medical team at Hope Zion Hospital is Dr. Hamza, a neurosurgeon.
Shy Hamza lives with his more outgoing lover Victor, who works at the same hospital.
See in the United States on NBC.
- Dr. Shahir Hamza (Huse Madhavji) neurosurgeon
- Victor Reis (Salvatore Antonio) OR nurse
Partners (situation comedy) CBS 2012
Two architects, one gay and one straight, form a professional partnership.
Wyatt is Louis' boyfriend.
- Louis McManus (Michael Urie)
- Wyatt (Brandon Routh)
The New Normal (situation comedy) NBC 2012-2013
A gay couple trying to start a family hire a surrogate.
- Bryan Buckley (Andrew Rannells)
- David Murray (Justin Bartha) Gynecologist
- Gary (Michael Hitchcock) surrogacy agent
Chicago Fire (drama) NBC 2012-present
- Leslie Shay (Laura German) paramedic
House Husbands (drama) Nine 2012-present
Drama about four families where the husband stays home to raise the children.
Kane and Tom and their children form one of the four central families. Kane stays home while Tom works as a fireman.
- Kane (Gyton Grantley)
- Tom Parker 2012-2013 (Tim Campbell) fireman
Emily Owens, M.D. (medical drama) CW 2012-2013
Emily finds medical school less like adult life and more like highschool.
- Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary) medical student
Scandal (political drama) ABC 2012-present
The show takes place in Washington, D.C. and focuses on Olivia Pope's crisis management firm, Pope & Associates, and its staff, as well as staff at the White House.
James is Cyrus' husband.
Daniel is the husband of Vice-president Sally Langston.
- Cyrus Rutherford Beene (Jeff Perry) White House Chief of Staff
- James (Dan Bucatinsky) reporter
- Daniel Douglas Langston 2013 (Jack Coleman)
Go On (situation comedy) NBC 2012-2013
Matthew Perry stars as a sportscaster trying to move on from the loss of his wife by joining a support group.
Anne, another member of the group, is a single mom grieving the loss of her wife.
World Without End (drama miniseries) Showcase 2012
Eight episode miniseries based on the Ken Follet novel of the same name. The story follows the townsfolk of fictional Kingsbridge in the reign of Edward III.
A knight apparently connected to the murder of Edward II seeks refuge in the town's priory and becomes a monk. As Brother Thomas, he develops a relationship with another monk.
International co-production with Canadian, British, German, and American partners.
- Sir Thomas Langley (Ben Chaplin) knight, then monk
- Matthias (Jason Langley) monk
- Mair (Tatiana Maslany) nun
DTLA (serial drama) logo 2012
"DTLA" tells the story of a diverse group of friends, all at crossroads in their lives.
- Lenny (Darryl Stephens) lawyer
- Bryan (Matthew Stephen Herrick)
- Stefan (Ernest Pierce) lawyer
- Matthew (Patrick McDonald) aspiring actor
- Marky (Scott Pretty) Marine cadet
- Trey (JC Jones)
Dexter (crime drama) Showtime 2006-2013
Dexter investigates serial killers. He's also a serial killer himself.
Isaak is a member of the Koshka Brotherhood, a Ukrainian crime syndicate. He travels to Miami after learning of associate Viktor's disappearance.
- Isaak Sirko 2012 (Ray Stevenson)
The Girl's Guide to Depravity (comedy/drama) Cinemax 2012-present
Very heterosexual show about two twenty-something women navigating sexual relationships.
Tyler is the bartender at their local bar.
- Tyler (Joe Komara) bartender
Malibu Country (situation comedy) ABC 2012-2013
A family from Nashville relocates to Malibu.
Geoffrey becomes a friend to the central character Reba, who is trying to restart her singing career.
- Geoffrey (Jai Rodriguez) record label assistant
Vicious (situation comedy) ITV1 2013-present
An older gay couple's lives are disrupted by the arrival of a new upstairs neighbour.
- Freddie (Sir Ian McKellen)
- Stuart (Sir Derek Jacobi)
The Carrie Diaries (teen drama) CW 2013-present
Prequel to Sex and the City set in 1984 and featuring Carrie Bradshaw as a fifteen-year-old.
Among Carrie's circle of friends is Walt, boyfriend of Carrie's best friend Maggie. In the series pilot Walt is clearly struggling with understanding and accepting himself.
- Walt Reynolds (Brendan Dooling) student
- Bennet Wilcox (Jake Robinson)
Seed (situation comedy) City 2013-present
Bartender Harry meets and becomes part of the lives of some of the families who conceived from his past donations.
Michelle and Zoey's son Billy seeks out Harry and claims Harry as his father.
- Michelle (Amanda Brugel)
- Zoey (Stephanie Anne Mills)
The Following (crime drama) Fox 2013-present
An imprisoned serial killer orchestrates his followers' crimes while the FBI struggles to stop them.
Jacob and Paul are part of a cell of Followers responsible for a child kidnapping. Their cover as a gay couple, Will and Bill, is supposed to be false.
When Jacob's lover Emma joins them the resulting relationship tension is eased when the three of them sleep together.
Either a bisexual killer cliché or a significant development in complex multifaceted non-straight characters. Both characters were first season fatalities.
- Jacob Wells alias Will Wilson 2013 (Nico Tortorella)
- Paul Torres alias Billy Thomas 2013 (Adan Canto)
Heading Out (situation comedy) BBC2 2013-present
Sitcom following the life of a neurotic veterinarian trying to live openly with her friends while hiding her sexual orientation from her parents.
- Sara Ford (Sue Perkins) veterinarian
Please Like Me (comedy) ABCTV2 2013
The series revolves around Josh, who is growing up quickly and realises that his parents are not heroes, but dopes with no idea what's going on, just like him (Wikipedia).
No one is more surprised than Josh that Geoffrey likes him.
- Josh (Josh Thomas)
- Geoffrey (Wade Briggs)
Californication (drama/comedy) Showtime 2007-present
Relationship comedy/drama centered around a novelist.
A stint in rehab puts the main character in contact with Gabriel, the rehab councellor (4 episodes).
- Gabriel 2012-2013 (Patrick Fischler) addiction counsellor
Necessary Roughness (football drama) USA 2011-2013
Drama on the field and in the office of a fictional professional football team.
Three-episode arc about what's troubling the star quarterback.
- Rex Evans 2013 (Travis Smith) quarterback
Orphan Black (Science fiction) BBC America/Space [Canada] 2013
A woman named Sarah discovers she is one of several clones.
Sarah's foster brother Felix is one of the few people she can trust.
One of the clones is lesbian University of Minnesota doctoral student Cosima.
- Felix Dawkins (Jordan Gavaris)
- Cosima Niehaus (Tatiana Maslany) PhD student
Nashville (musical drama) ABC 2012-present
Drama following several country music performers at different stages of their careers.
Will surprised both himself and his best buddy Gunnar when he leaned in for a kiss in an unguarded moment.
Derek works for Will's record label, and they have a past together.
- Will Lexington 2013-present (Chris Carmack)
- Brent McKinney 2013-present (Derek Krantz) record exec
The Haves and the Have Nots (serial drama) OWN 2013-present
Weekly soap opera featuring two wealthy families, the Cryers and the Harringtons, and a third, much poorer family, the Youngs.
- Jeffrey Harrington (Gavin Houston) psychologist
In the Flesh (supernatural drama) BBC 2013-present
Those who died in 2009 become re-animated as zombies, but with proper treatment they can be re-integrated into society as sufferers of "partially deceased syndrome" (PDS).
Main character Ren committed suicide after his best friend and romantic partner Rick (David Walmsley) died serving in Afghanistan. Both are among the partially deceased being treated and integrated back into their community.
- Kieren "Ren" Walker (Luke Newberry)
The Fosters (drama) ABC Family 2013-present
Drama about a family of biological, adopted and foster children being raised by parents Lena and Stef.
Cole is a resident of the Girls United group home, a female-to-male trans person.
- Lena Adams (Sherri Saum) highschool principal
- Stef Foster (Teri Polo) police officer
- Cole 2014-present (Tom Phelan)
Go Girls (comedy/drama) TV2 (New Zealand) 2009-present
Dissatisfied with their lives, a group of Auckland North Shore residents make challenging promises to improve their lives.
Levi makes a quest for pay back (Wikipedia).
Levi's crush on Kent is more than complicated when he learns Kent is the brother of his revenge target.
- Levi Hirsh 2013-present (Leon Wadham)
- Kent 2013 (Joshua McKenzie) chef
A Place to Call Home (period drama) 7N 2013-present
Drama about a wealthy Australian family during the social changes of the 1950s.
Young married man James juggles the pressures of family, a new wife, and secrets.
One of those pressures is the return of his youthful dalliance Harry.
- James Bligh (David Berry)
- Harry Polson (Dominic Allburn) farmhand
Under the Dome (science fiction horror) CBS 2013-present
Based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, a town is sealed under a dome.
Carolyn and Alice were travelling through town and trapped when the dome landed.
- Carolyn Hill (Aisha Hinds) attorney
- Alice Calvert (Samantha Mathis)
Camp (comedy) NBC 2013
Summer series following the wacky events at a summer camp.
Todd and Raffi are the dads of two of the kid campers.
- Todd (Adam Garcia)
- Raffi (Christopher Kirby)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (situation comedy) Fox 2013-present
Comedy set in a Brooklyn police station.
- Ray Holt (Andre Braugher) police captain
Strike Back (military action drama) Sky1 2010-present
The series follows the actions of Section 20, a secretive branch of the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), who operate several high risk, priority missions throughout the globe.
One of the fourth (2013) season's bad guys is nasty villan James Leatherby.
Seen in the United States on Cinemax.
- James Leatherby 2013 (Dougray Scott) rogue operative
Sean Saves the World (situation comedy) NBC 2013-2014
Comedy about divorced dad Sean and his 14-year-old daughter.
Masters of Sex (period drama) Showtime 2013-present
Series fictionalizes the lifes and work of pioneering sex researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson. Set in the 1950's.
Masters and Johnson's research takes place at the hospital where Scully is Provost. Masters blackmails Scully after interviewing Dale.
- Barton Scully (Beau Bridges) Hospital Provost
- Dale (Finn Wittrock) hustler
The Biggest Loser (reality/contest) NBC 2004-present
The show features obese people competing to win a cash prize by losing the highest percentage of weight relative to their initial weight.
Chief trainer Bob Harper came out in a 2013 episode.
Ripper Street (period police drama) BBC 2012-present
Police investigate crimes in the Whitechapel district of London in the 1890s.
Newspaperman Fred Best is an ongoing irritation for the police. In the second season it's revealed Best has insider knowledge about a telegraph boys prostitution ring.
- Fred Best (David Dawson) reporter
The Originals (supernatural drama) CW 2013-present
Vampires in New Orleans
Spin off from Vampire Diaries.
- Josh Rosza (Steven Krueger)
Sex & Violence (drama) OutTV 2013
Six-part series following the professional and personal lives of those who deal with people in harrowing situations.
Constable Roach is often called to the scene of domestic violence incidents.
Brenda deals with many people in trouble, but can't deal with her couch potato spouse Louella.
Husbands Stephen and Steven see fostering as a possible path to having children of their own.
Middle aged and recently separated from his wife, Jasper is losing cases and exploring his bisexuality.
Kevin is the handyman at a battered women shelter.
Chanel is a homeless trans person the system cannot seem to help.
Neville supervises the local social services office, and has permission from his open minded wife to cruise the local bath house.
- Maria Roach (Jennie Raymond) police officer
- Brenda Shaw (Kerry Vox) social worker
- Stephen (Glen Matthews)
- Steven (Thom Payne)
- Jasper Wynacht (Rob Joseph Lenard) crown prosecutor
- Kevin Parker (Craig Alan) handyman
- Chanel (Chris Cochrane)
- Neville Carver (Bill Wood) social worker
- Louella (Candy Palmater)
Looking (dramedy) HBO 2014
Eight episode drama-comedy about the lives of a group of gay men living in San Francisco.
Frank is Agustin's boyfriend.
Patrick and Richie meet on a bus.
Kevin is Patrick's boss.
- Patrick (Jonathan Groff) videogame developer
- Agustin (Frankie J. Alvarez) artist
- Dom (Murray Bartlett) waiter
- Lynn (Scott Bakula)
- Frank (O-T Fagbenle)
- Richie (Raul Castro) stylist/bouncer
- Kevin (Russell Tovey) manager
Chozen (animated sitcom) FX 2014-present
Animated situation comedy about "a gay white rapper just out of prison who has his sights set on becoming one of the genre's superstars".
- Chozen (Bobby Moynihan [voice]) rapper
Sirens (comedy) USA 2014-present
The work and personal lives of three paramedics.
American version of the British show of the same name.
- Hank (Kevin Daniels) paramedic
Arrow (supernatural action/drama) CW 2012-present
Oliver Queen, a millionaire playboy, thought dead in a shipwreck, returns to Starling City as a vigilante archer determined to save his city.
Sara was also thought drowned in the sinking, but returns to Starling as The Black Canary, a member of the League of Assassins. Sara's romantic relationships include Oliver (her sister's boyfriend) and Nyssa al Ghul (Katrina Law), daughter of the League's leader.
- Sara Lance, aka The Black Canary 2012, 2013-present (Jacqueline MacInnes Wood [pilot], Caity Lotz) assassin
Spun Out (situation comedy) CTV 2014-present
Workplace situation comedy set in a public relations firm. Series stars Dave Foley as the owner of Dave Lyons Public Relations (DLPR).
Nelson is a smooth-talking account executuve, and best friends with copywriter Beckett. They both work at DLPR.
- Nelson Abrams (Al Mukadam)
Faking It (comedy) MTV 2014-present
Two best friends are mistakenly outed as lesbians.
Shane is their gay friend.
- Shane (Michael J. Willett)
Component Last Change: 1961-1970: Wednesday, 05-Sep-2012 16:06:53 CDT, 1971-1980: Thursday, 24-Nov-2011 11:09:44 CST, 1981-1990: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011 20:15:38 CDT, 1991-2000: Wednesday, 12-Feb-2014 16:45:42 CST, 2001-present: Thursday, 17-Apr-2014 16:35:00 CDT, Networks: Friday, 16-Feb-2007 14:01:32 CST, Show Index: Thursday, 17-Apr-2014 16:35:02 CDT.