SERVICE TO CODE COMMITTEES:
- Member of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) S806 Code Committee "Design and Construction of Building Structures with Fibre-Reinforced Polymers (FRPs)". Develops design clauses for the Construction of Building Structures with FRPs.
- Member of CSA S6 Code "Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code (CHBDC)", (Sub-Committee on Section 16): "Fibre-Reinforced Structures". Develops design clauses for S16 on FRP structures in CSA S6, CHBDC.
- Member of CSA S807 Code Committee for "Specification for Fibre-Reinforced Polymers". Prepares the technical information on FRP as internal reinforcement for concrete. This new standard was developed by the committee and published by CSA in May 2010 (CSA S807-10). It represented the world's first standard on specifications for FRP bars. The second edition of CSA 807 was recently published (2019).
- Member of CSA S808 Code Committee for "Specification for FRP Materials for Externally Reinforcing Structures". Prepares the technical information on FRP wet-layup composite systems, pre-cured FRP plates, and FRP bars bonded externally as structural strengthening materials for structures. This new standard was developed by the committee and published by CSA in October 2014 (CSA S808-14). It represented the world's first standard on specifications for FRP materials for externally reinforced structures.
- Voting member of the American Concrete Institute (ACI) Committee 440 "FRP Reinforcement" and ACI Sub-Committee 440H "FRP Internal Reinforcement". Prepares technical committee documents on FRP reinforcement for concrete structures; publishes technical-committee guides and reports on FRP material specification, test methods, durability, and design of FRP reinforced concrete structures; organizes technical sessions. Currently, I am the main author for three chapters of the first ACI (American) code on FRP as Internal Reinforcement for Concrete Structures (to be published in 2021).
- Member of CSA S900.2 Code “Structural Design of Wastewater Treatment Plants”. Task Group to Develops design clauses for the use of FRP wastewater treatment Plants (10/2020 – Present).
- Secretary of ACI Committee 445-3: Punching Shear (10/2000 – 04/2004).
SERVICE TO FUNDING ACGENCIES:
- Section Chair (Infrastructure) and Member of the Executive Committee, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Discovery Grant Evaluation Group 1509 (July 2019 – Present).
- Member, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Discovery Grant Evaluation Group 1509, (July 2018 – June 2019).
- Research Manitoba, Natural Sciences and Engineering New Investigator Operating Grant Review Committee (Member), (June 2018 – present).
- Member of the College of Reviewers for the Canada Research Chairs Program and associated Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) (1/2007 – present).
- Member of the College of Reviewers for the MITACS Program (06/2011 – present).
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE COMMITTEES :
- Member of the Organizing Committee of several International Conferences and Conference Series including International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures (ACMBS) - 5th (2008) and 8th (2020); International Conference on Durability of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Construction and Rehabilitation of Structures (CDCC) 2nd (2002), 3rd (2007), 4th (2011) and 5th (2017).
- Member of the International Scientific Committee of international conferences and Conference Series including International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures (ACMBS) - 5th (2008), 6th (2012), 7th (2016) and 8th (2020), International Conference on Durability of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Construction and Rehabilitation of Structures (CDCC) 2nd (2002), 3rd (2007), 4th (2011) and 5th (2017); Asian-Pacific Conference on FRP in Structures APFIS (2009); and 2nd International Conference on Advances in Civil Infrastructure and Construction Materials CICM (2020).
- Session Chair in several International Conferences including CICE (2006), ACMBS-5 (2008), APFIS (2009) and FRPRCS-9 (2009).
OTHER COMMITTEES AND MEMBERSHIPS :
- Council Member of the International Institute for FRP in Construction (IIFC), (2021 – present). IIFC is an organization for the advancement of the understanding and application of fibre-reinforced polymers (FRP) composites in the civil infrastructure, in the service of engineering profession and society.
- Member of the selection committee for the CSCE A.B. Sanderson Award (2014 - present). The A.B. Sanderson Award is presented to a member of the CSCE who has made particularly outstanding contributions to the development and practice of structural engineering in Canada.
- FRP Theme Leader – Structural Innovation and Monitoring Technologies Resource Centre, SIMTReC (Jan. 2018 - present).
- Secretary of the Research management Committee (RMC) – ISIS Canada Resource Centre (2009-2013).
- Secretary of the ISIS Canada committee on developing design guidelines for the repair of FRP-reinforced concrete structures (10/2006 – 09/2013).
- Ontario Professional Engineers (Licensed P. Eng. in the province of Ontario since 12/2002).
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba (Licensed P. Eng. in the province of Manitoba since 02/2007).
- Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Member of the International Institute for FRP in Construction (IIFC).
- Member of the Manitoba Institute for Materials (MIM), University of Manitoba (07/2011-present).
- Board Member of the American Concrete Institute (ACI) Manitoba Chapter (01/2009 – 06/2013).
- The founder and faculty advisor of the ACI Student Chapter at the U of M (09/2009 – 06/2013).
Over $5.0 million CAD of research funding including NSERC Grants (Canada Research Chairs, Discovery, Engage, CRD, Alliance, etc.), MITACS (Accelerate, Elevate, Globalink, etc.), research/industry contracts (CPCI, Vector Inc., Pultrall Inc., Manitoba Hydro, etc.), equipment (CFI), and in-kind (Lafarge Inc., Pultrall Inc., Shock, etc.), University of Manitoba, (URGP, GETS) since 2002 to present.
El-Salakawy, E. and Ghomi, S.K. (2019). "Seismic Performance Improvement of FRP-RC Structures." Canada. 62/560358. 2017/09/19.
Patent Status: Application Published
The present invention introduces a method to design deformable reinforced concrete moment-resistant structural system capable of resisting high intensity lateral loads. The lateral loads may be due to earthquake, wind or other sources. The invention provides a framed structure with sufficient initial stiffness and ductility to resist lateral loads, while providing fast, easy and cost-effective repairing process following the application of lateral loads to restore the initial properties of the structure. The invention can be used as the lateral load-resisting system solely or in conjunction with regular FRP-RC moment-resisting frames or shear walls. The invention maybe used in buildings, bridges or any other structural systems. The method maybe implemented in new structures or in rehabilitation of existing structures.