All-Time List of Canadian Transit Systems

by David A. Wyatt

Québec, Québec

Communaute Urban de Quebec (1996)On 01 January 2002 Québec was reconstituted as the amalgamation of thirteen municipalities: l'Ancienne-Lorette, Beauport, Cap-Rouge, Charlesbourg, Lac-Saint-Charles, Loretteville, Québec, Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures (named Saint-Augustin-de-Québec 1918-1986), Sainte-Émile, Sainte-Foy, Sillery, Val-Bélair, and Vanier. Two of these, l'Ancienne-Lorette and Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, separated 01 January 2006 but remain within the service area of Réseau de Transport de la Capitale. (Wikipedia, Jean Breton 2009).

Duberger (named Petite-Rivière 1902-1964) was annexed to Québec 01 July 1970. Neufchâtel (named Saint-Ambroise-de-la-Jeune-Lorette 1855-1963), and Les-Saules (named Sainte-Monique-des-Saules 1953-1960) were annexed to Québec in 1971.

Principal System

? (1864 - circa 1865)
Omnibus operator. (Breton).

Quebec Street Railway 3 horsecar Quebec Street Railway Company (18 August 1865 - 09 February 1897)
Incorporated 15 October 1863 (Can.). Operated in the lower town. Acquired by the StJSRyCo 09 February 1897, which in turn was acquired by the QDRyCo 27 February 1897.

Quebec District Railway Company (27 February 1897 - 20 July 1899)
Incorporated 1895 (Que.) as a subsidiary of the Quebec, Montmorency and Charlevoix Railway Company. (The QM&CRyCo was incorporated in 1881 (Que.) as a steam railway, granted the power to acquire the QSRyCo and the StJSRy in 1895, and became the QRL&P in 1899.) QDRy was absorbed into the QRL&P in 1899. (CUTA F91)

QRL&P ticket (front) Quebec Railway, Light and Power #1212, a Mack model CW-3G (Peter Cox) Quebec Railway, Light and Power Company: Citadel Division (20 July 1899 - 01 January 1957)
The "Montmorency Division" of the QRL&PCo constituted its interurban operations, and these were usually reported separately. (Dorman, CYB). Introduced buses for city transit service 1938. Discontinued city electric streetcars 1948. Sold electric interurban railway to Canadian National 1951. Company renamed Quebec Autobus Ltd. 01 January 1957 (Dominion Bureau of Statistics). (photo Peter Cox)

QRL&P ticket (English)

QRL&P logo
 
System logo
Data source:Pharand

Quebec 6008 GM new look (William A. Luke) Québec-Autobus Limitée (01 January 1957 - 1965)
Referred to by the DBS (in English) as Quebec Autobus Ltd. Sold by the parent Quebec Power Company in 1959 to Provincial Transport Company interests, who resold the company in 1965 to local investors. (CUTA F91, photo William A. Luke)

Québec-Autobus (1965) Inc. (1965 - 23 December 1970)
Sold to the CTCUQ 1970.  

Commission de transport de la communauté urbaine de Québec (23 December 1970 - 1994)
Established by legislation 23 December 1969 (Que.) Operation began with the acquisition of Québec-Autobus in 1970. Four more private transit operators were acquired in 1971 (Transport Boischâtel in Beauport and Boischâtel, Autobus Fournier in Sainte-Foy and l'Ancienne-Lorette, Autobus Vanier in Vanier, and Autobus de Charlesbourg in Charlesbourg and Charlesbourg-Est), one in 1973 (Autobus Dupont serving Montmorency), and one in 1976 (Autobus Laval service to Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux). (Transit Canada 1976, CUTA 1976-77, CUTA 1989, CUTA 1991/2, CUTA 1992)

Société de transport de la communauté urbaine de Québec (1994 - 31 May 2002)
Continuing from CTCUQ.

Service area population445,000 (1991)
Vehicle fleet467 buses (2000)
Employees1034 (1991)
Data source:CUTA 1991/2
CTHF/SSG 2000

Réseau de Transport de la Capitale (01 June 2002 - present)
Name changed in coordination with municipal amalgamation. Service continued in l'Ancienne-Lorette and Saint-Augustin-des-Desmaures after their municipal separation from Québec 01 January 2006.

RTC logo
Ridership44,483,184 (2009)
Data sources:Alan Gryfe 2002
CTF [Aug. 2010] (ridership)

Québec Secondary Systems

St. John Street Railway [Quebec] 5 horsecar St. John Street Railway Company Ltd. (01 August 1878 - 27 February 1897)
la Compagnie des Tramways de la Rue St-Jean Ltée. Incorporated 27 July 1877. Upper town line along rue St. Jean. (Breton). Began extended service by omnibus from the west end of the railway to Mount Hermon cemetery 09 July 1883. Acquired the QSRCo 09 February 1897. Acquired by the QM&CRyCo 27 February 1897.

Funiculaire du Vieux Québec (circa 1880 - present)
Owned by the Armstrong family, who also owned the ferry service between Québec and Lévis. Closed 12 October 1996 after a fatal accident. Reopened for revenue service 01 May 1998 (formal reopening ceremony held 30 April 1998) (JM). An earlier funicular was constructed at Québec in 1823 by the British military to carry fortification construction supplies up the escarpment. According to Andreae 1997, it was used for a time to transport the public, before it's closure in the 1840s. (The New Electric Railway Journal, vol. III, no. 3 (Spring 1991), Martin, pb96, Andreae 1997, JM 1998).

Autobus J.B.A. Desnoyers (January 1922 - 01 December 1947)
Owner J.B.A. Desnoyers. Also known as Autobus du Cap-Blanc. Bus service in the city's Champlain ward. QRL&P streetcars did a u-turn at the Lévis-Québec Ferry leaving the Champlain ward out of transit service for about 5 km west of the ferry to the city limits. In 1926 the service was reported as a bus service between Marche Champlain and Notre Dame de la Garde, 2 buses, 28 round trips/day, 10¢ fare (CR&MW August 1926, pp 440-441). Operation sold to the QRL&P 1947. (Jean Breton 2009).

Quebec funicular ticket (English) Ascenseur de la rue de la Couronne (? - present?)
Crown Street Elevator. Four story elevator connecting rue de la Couronne and rue Sainte-Claire.

Villa Mastai tramway "Tramway de Mastaï" (30 June 1906 - 01 October 1920)
One and one half mile (2.4 km) electric tram line operated from a connection with the QRL&P Montmorency Division to the Sisters of Charity hospital/asylum at Villa Mastaï. Operation by steam locomotive began 28 August 1905, by electric tram in 1906. QRL&P assumed operation of the line as a charititable act in 1917, continuing regular service until 1920. Sporadic QRL&P service over the line occured until complete abandonment 06 May 1923. (Pharand)

Charlesbourg Services

Transit in Charlesbourg became the responsibility of the CTCUQ 1971. In 1976 Charlesbourg was reconstituted as the amalgamation of Orsainville, Notre-Dame-des-Laurentides, Charlesbourg, and Charlesbourg-Est. Charlesbourg was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

? (circa 1897 - ?)
Omnibus operator in Charlesbourg (Breton).

Autobus Thibodeau (06 May 1915 - 1921)
Suburban motorbus service between Québec and Charlesbourg. The bus was replaced by an omnibus when required by poor road conditions. The only one of four competitors in the summer of 1921 providing service by omnibus. (Jean Breton 2009).

Dominion Cartage Company (29 April 1921 - 1930)
Service between Québec to Charlesbourg. One of four competitors in the summer of 1921. DC sold 1930 to QRL&P which abandoned the service. (Jean Breton 2009).

la Compagnie d'Autobus Martel (April 1921 - 1921)
Serving Québec, Charlesbourg and Loretteville. One of four competitors in the summer of 1921. (Jean Breton 2009).

Palace Hill Taxi Service (April 1921 - 1921)
Service between Québec and Loretteville. One of four Charlesbourg competitors in the summer of 1921. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus de Charlesbourg #82 (GM old look) (busfanplace.com) la Compagnie d'Autobus de Charlesbourg Ltée (1922 - 31 May 1971)
Serving Charlesbourg, Orsainville and Loretteville. Acquired ALG (Loretteville) 1930. Service to Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré begun 1930 but competed illegally with QRL&P car service and was ordered halted 1933. Service to Saint-Raymond sold to AF 1945. Extensions reached Notre Dame de Laurentides, Lac-Beauport, Stoneham-et-Tewkesbury, and Saint-Adolphe. Acquired ACB circa 1958. Acquired 1971 by the CTCUQ. For further history see Québec above.) (Canadian Coach 1971, Transit Canada 1976, Breton, photo busfanplace.com).

Chateau-Bigot Services

Chateau-Bigot was a ward of Charlesbourg-Est. Charlesbourg-Est was annexed to Charlesbourg in 1976. From 1958 Chateau-Bigot shares transit history with Charlesbourg (see above).

Autobus Chateau-Bigot Enr. (circa 1940 - 13 April 1948)
Owned by Gerard Renaud. Operating bus service between Chateau-Bigot and Québec via Charlesbourg and Giffard. Sold 1948 to ACB Inc.. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Chateau-Bigot Inc. (13 April 1948 - 10 October 1957)
Suburban service between Québec and Chateau-Bigot. Sequence of owners: Lionel Boutet (owner of Autobus Laval) 09 March 1951 - 1955; Sarto Dore (owner of Autobus Laval) 02 June 1955 - 1956; L.O. Vallerand 29 November 1956 - 1957; P.Z. Tremblay 25 July 1957 - 10 October 1957. (Jean Breton 2009).

la Compagnie d'Autobus de Charlesbourg Ltée (10 October 1957 - 31 May 1971)
Operator of bus services in Charlesbourg. Temporary permit for Chateau-Bigot granted October 1957. Permanent permit granted 21 March 1958. From 1958 Chateau-Bigot shares transit history with Charlesbourg (see above). (Jean Breton 2009).

Loretteville Services

Chateau-d'Eau was separated from Loretteville in 1926 and re-amalgamated with it in 1965. After 1930 Loretteville shares transit history with Charlesbourg. Transit service in Loretteville became the responsibility of the CTCUQ in 1971. Loretteville was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

la Compagnie d'Automobiles & Omnibus de Québec & Lévis Ltée (1909 - before 1921)
Service between Québec and Loretteville. (Jean Breton 2009).

Dominion Cartage Company (21 April 1921 - 1930)
Service between Québec to Loretteville. DC sold 1930 to QRL&P which abandoned the service. (Jean Breton 2009).

la Compagnie d'Autobus Martel (April 1921 - 1921)
Serving Québec, Charlesbourg and Loretteville. (Jean Breton 2009).

Palace Hill Taxi Service (April 1921 - 1921)
Service between Québec and Loretteville. (Jean Breton 2009).

la Compagnie d'Autobus Dohan (1921 - ?)
Service between Valcartier and Loretteville. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Leonidas Gagnon (circa 1925 - 21 June 1930)
Service between Québec and Loretteville. Acquired 1930 by Cie AC. (Jean Breton 2009).

la Compagnie d'Autobus de Charlesbourg Ltée (21 June 1930 - 31 May 1971)
Transit operator in Charlesbourg. Acquired ALG (Loretteville) 1930. From 1932 Chateau-d'Eau and Saint-Ambroise-de-la-Jeune-Lorette (eastern part) also served by company's Loretteville line. After 1930 Loretteville shares transit history with Charlesbourg (see above). Saint-Ambroise-de-la-Jeune-Lorette renamed Neufchâtel 1963 and annexed to Québec 1971. Company acquired 1971 by the CTCUQ. (For further history see Québec above.) (Jean Breton 2009).

Cap-Rouge Services

Transit in Cap-Rouge became the responsibility of the CTCUQ 1971. Cap-Rouge was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

Quebec & Cap-Rouge Omnibus (Spring 1845 - ?)
Owner: Samuel Hough. Three trips per day between Québec (Place d'Armes) and Cap-Rouge via Sillery and Sainte-Foy. Service operated on the St. Louis Road. (Jean Breton 2009).

? (12 June 1877 - ?)
Le Canadien newspaper says: an omnibus service has started, yesterday, between Québec and Cap-Rouge to replace an old omnibus service. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Veilleux & Fournier (1922 - April 1949)
Cap-Rouge suburban service. Registered 1949. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Veilleux & Fournier Enr. (April 1949 - 01 December 1955)
Owners J.T. Veilleux and Camille Fournier. Cap-Rouge suburban service. Listed in some public places as Autobus Pont de Québec - Cap-Rouge. After December 1952 owner was Camille Fournier. Acquired by AF 1955. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Fournier Limitée (01 December 1955 - 01 February 1971)
Transit operator in Sainte-Foy. Extended to Lac St-Augustin Sud seasonal from 1956 to 1960, June to September. AF acquired by the CTCUQ 1971 (see Québec above). (Jean Breton 2009).

Sainte-Foy Services

Transit in Sainte-Foy became the responsibility of the CTCUQ 1971. Sainte-Foy was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

la Compagnie des Tramways de la Rue St-Jean Ltée (09 July 1883 - ?)
St. John Street Railway Company Ltd. Three round-trips a day, Monday to Friday, and eight on Sundays, between Québec (Ste-Foy Gate) and Ste-Foy church, by omnibus. Company acquired by the Quebec District Railway Company 1897. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Veilleux & Fournier (1922 - April 1949)
Bus service from Cap-Rouge to Québec via Sainte-Foy Sud. Registered 1949. (Jean Breton 2009).

Nelson-Arthur Fournier (1924 - Spring 1925)
Began summer omnibus and winter sleigh service between Québec and Sainte-Foy in 1924. Replaced by a motorbus 1925. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Fournier [Sainte-Foy] 1938 (busfanplace.com) Autobus N.A. Fournier (Spring 1925 - 1941)
Owner Nelson-Arthur Fournier. Bus service Québec to Sainte-Foy Nord. (Jean Breton 2009). Horse drawn sleighs operated winters 1924 - circa 1926. From 1939 Valcartier route served Petite-Rivière and Saint-Ambroise-de-la-Jeune-Lorette (western part). Route to Saint-Emile and Lac-Saint-Charles (also via Petite-Rivière) begun 1940. (photo busfanplace.com).

Levis Tramways Company (1931 - 01 July 1948)
Bus service between Saint-Romuald and Québec via Sainte-Foy Sud, competing with Veilleux between the Quebec Bridge and Québec. Company renamed LTCo 1948. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Fournier [Sainte-Foy] #401 (1961 GM TDH5301N new look) (busfanplace.com) Autobus Fournier Limitée (1941 - 01 February 1971)
AF&V acquired 1955. Summer service to Lac Saint-Augustin-Sud begun 1956. Acquired AStF-S 1962. Petite-Rivière renamed Duberger 1964 and annexed to Québec 1970. Saint-Ambroise-de-la-Jeune-Lorette renamed Neufchâtel 1963 and annexed to Québec 1971. AF acquired Drolet (Ancienne-Lorette) 1969. Acquired by the CTCUQ 1971. (Jean Breton 2009, photo busfanplace.com).

Levis Transport Company (01 July 1948 - 15 January 1960)
LTyCo became LTCo 1948. New owners from March 1959 renamed the company AL-Q 1960.

Autobus Veilleux & Fournier Enr. (April 1949 - 01 December 1955)
Bus service from Cap-Rouge to Québec via Sainte-Foy Sud. Sold to AF 1955. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Lévis - Québec, Inc. (15 January 1960 - 16 June 1961)
Successor to LTCo including north shore services in Sainte-Foy and Sillery. Company bankrupt by 1961. North shore services sold to AS-SteFS.

Autobus Sillery - Sainte-Foy Enr. (16 June 1961 - 22 February 1962)
Sillery, Sainte-Foy. Sold to AF 1962.

Sillery Services

Transit in Sillery became the responsibility of the CTCUQ 1971. Sillery was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

la Compagnie des Tramways de la Rue St-Jean Ltée (09 July 1883 - ?)
St. John Street Railway Company Ltd. Four round-trips a day, seven days a week, with an omnibus. Company acquired by the Quebec District Railway Company 1897. (Jean Breton 2009).

Quebec County Railway Company (18 September 1910 - 18 September 1950)
Incorporated 1904 (Que.) to build and operate a line to Sillery, west of Québec. Subsidiary of the Quebec Railway, Light and Power Company, was reported separately from 1932 to 1935 (CYB). Streetcars replaced by buses 16 June 1938. Route sold to LT Co 1950. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Sillery-Cove (circa 1945 - 11 July 1951)
Owner Jean-Marie Tetu. From 1945 local bus service in lower-town and upper-town on the south side of Sillery with 2 buses. New owner Roger Gauthier from 01 August 1947. Reorganized under a new owner 1951. (Jean Breton 2009).

Levis Transport Company (18 September 1950 - 27 March 1959)
Authorized to carry local passengers in Sillery when it aquired the route from the QRL&P 1950. New owners renamed the company AL-Q 1959. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Sillery-Cove, Enr. (11 July 1951 - 22 February 1962)
Owner Jules Beaulieu. New owner Georges Baril from 28 March 1961. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Lévis - Québec, Inc. (27 March 1959 - 19 July 1961)
Successor to LTCo including north shore services in Sainte-Foy and Sillery. Company bankrupt by 1961. North shore services sold to AS-SteF.

Autobus Sillery - Sainte-Foy Enr. (19 July 1961 - 22 February 1962)
Owner Georges Baril. Assumed permit from bankrupt AL-Q. Sold to AF 1962.

Autobus Fournier Limitée (22 February 1962 - 01 February 1971)
Longtime operator in Sainte-Foy. Acquired AS-StF and ASC 1962. Acquired by the CTCUQ 1971.

l'Ancienne-Lorette Services

Transit in l'Ancienne-Lorette became the responsibility of the CTCUQ 1971. L'Ancienne-Lorette was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002 and separated 01 January 2006 however responsibility for transit remains with the Québec system.

Autobus Napoleon Drolet (1916 - circa 1930)
Suburban service between Québec and Ancienne-Lorette. A competitor, A. Cloutier, operated 2 buses between Québec and Ancienne-Lorette for “numerous” round trips/day, at a 30¢ fare (CR&MW August 1926, pp. 440-441). Napoleon Drolet died suddenly circa 1930. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Alphonse Drolet (circa 1930 - 1932)
Drolet's sons (Cyrille, Joseph-Émile and Henri Drolet) incorporated as AAD Ltee 1932.

Ancienne Lorrette Prevost (William A. Luke) Autobus A. Drolet Ltée (1932 - 12 January 1969)
Intercity and suburban carrier. Service continued in Sainte-Monique-des-Saules after it was divided from Ancienne-Lorette in 1953. Sainte-Monique renamed Les-Saules 1960. Suburban routes to Ancienne-Lorette, Lac Saint-Augustin, and Lac Sergent sold to Sainte-Foy operator AF 1969. (photo William A. Luke)

Autobus Fournier Limitée (12 January 1969 - 01 February 1971)
Les-Saules annexed to Québec 1971. sold to CTCUQ 1971 (see Québec above). (Jean Breton 2009).

Vanier (Québec-Ouest) Services

Québec-Ouest was renamed Vanier in 1966. Transit in Vanier became the responsibility of the CTCUQ in 1971. Vanier was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

Autobus Napoleon Fontaine Enr. (circa 1920 - circa 1949)
Owner Napoleon Fontaine. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus J. Doyon Ltée (18 June 1946 - 02 May 1960)
Sold to AQ-O 1960. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Québec-Ouest Enr. (circa 1949 - 29 April 1968)
Owner Wilfrid Rodrigue. Acquired AJD Ltée 1960. Québec-Ouest renamed Vanier 1967. Company renamed AV Ltée 1968. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Vanier Ltée (29 April 1968 - 01 December 1971)
Owned by Autobus Dupont Ltée (see Montmorency). Sold to CTCUQ 1971 (see Québec above). (Jean Breton 2009).

Montmorency Services

Montmorency was annexed to Beauport in 1976. Transit became the responsibility of the CTCUQ in 1973. Beauport was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

? (10 June 1873 - ?)
Le Canadien newspaper reports that a new omnibus service has started between downtown Quebec and Montmorency Falls 10 June 1873. An omnibus service is also cited in the paper's 11 February 1874 issue. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Meredy Bouchard Enr. (1938 - 29 August 1946)
Local service in Montmorency, and suburban service to Québec competing with QRL&P interurbans. Sold to ARL Enr. 1946. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Roland Lortie Enr. (29 August 1946 - 1952)
Local service in Montmorency, and suburban service to Québec. Services abandoned 1952. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus W. Guimont Enr. (26 May 1953 - 29 July 1960)
Owner Welly Guimont. Special permit to operate to Dominion Textile plant from 1944. Additional permit to operate services on Sundays and holidays for church-goers from 31 May 1952. General permit for local service and service to Québec from 26 May 1953. Sold to AHPD Inc. 1960. Appears in some references as Autobus Ville Montmorency. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus H.P. Dufour, Inc. (29 July 1960 - 08 April 1965)
Successor to AWG Enr. and suceeded by Dupont. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Dupont Ltée (08 April 1965 - 01 July 1973)
Suburban and intercity carrier. Suburban (Montmorency division) services taken over by CTCUQ 1973 (see Québec above). (Jean Breton 2009, Canadian Coach 1971, Transit Canada 1976).

Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux Services

Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux was annexed to Beauport in 1976. Transit became the responsibility of the CTCUQ in 1976. Beauport was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

Autobus Camille Giroux (circa 1940 - July 1946?)
Owner Camille Giroux. Operating Québec City to Sainte-Brigitte-de-Laval via Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Eugene Maheux (12 July 1946 - 22 October 1959)
Owner Eugene Maheux. Permit to operate between Québec and Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux. Fleet in 1946 consisted of three buses and one snowmobile. Sold to AStT Inc. 1959. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Sainte Thérèse Inc. (22 October 1959 - 18 September 1962)
Acquired by AL Ltée 1962.

Autobus Laval Ltée (18 September 1962 - 28 May 1976)
Suburban service from Québec to Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux and Sainte-Brigitte-de-Laval. Acquired ASteT Ltée 1962. Québec - Sainte-Thérèse service taken over by CTCUQ 1976 (see Québec above). (Breton, TC76).

Beauport Services

Transit in much of Beauport became the responsibility of the CTCUQ 1971. Beauport was reconstituted in 1976 as the amalgamation of Beauport, Saint-Michel-Archange, Giffard, Villeneuve, Montmorency, Courville, and Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux, and annexed to Québec 01 January 2002.

? (circa 1874 - ?)
Le Canadien newspaper reports the existence of regular omnibus service between Dorchester bridge (downtown Québec) and Beauport 11 February 1874. Beauport omnibuses are referenced in newspapers 14 November 1893 (L'Electeur) and 02 January 1900 (Le Soleil). (Jean Breton 2009).

Quebec Railway, Light and Power Company: Citadel Division (1924 - 31 July 1951)
Beauport and Boischâtel were linked to Québec by the steam train and electric interurban operations of the QRL&P: Montmorency Division and its predecessor 1892 - 1959 (see below). The QRL&P's city (Citidel) division initiated streetcar service from Québec to Kent House via Beauport 1924. Bus service from Québec to Boischâtel via Beauport, and Giffard, began 1933. Services and buses sold to a new operator 1951. (Jean Breton 2009).

la Compagnie d'Autobus de Charlesbourg Ltée ( February 1930 - ?)
Commenced bus service between Québec and Beauport in opposition to QRL&P service. Authorization to operate disputed by the QRL&P. (Le Soleil 19 February 1930, research by Jean Breton 2009).

TB buses at garage (Jacques Matte) Transport Boischâtel Ltée (31 July 1951 - 21 May 1971)
Four routes serving Giffard-Nord, Beauport, Courville and Boischâtel. Operations taken over by CTCUQ 1971 (see Québec above). (Jean Breton 2009, Canadian Coach 1971, Transit Canada 1976).

Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures Services

Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures was known as Saint-Augustin-de-Québec 1918-1986. Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures was annexed to Québec 01 January 2002 and separated 01 January 2006. Transit in Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures became the contract responsibility of the RTC in 2002. The RTC assumed operating responsibility in 2008.

Autobus J.B.H. Gauthier (1921 - ?)
Operating intercity bus service between Deschambault and Québec via Saint-Augustin-de-Québec. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus A. Drolet Ltée (1939 - 1969)
Operating bus service between Québec and Lac-Saint-Augustin Nord. (Jean Breton 2009). Service between Québec and Lac Saint-Joseph also serves northern part of Saint-Augustin. Service to Saint-Augustin Nord abandoned 1963. Northern portion of Saint-Augustin service sold to AF Ltée 1969. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Georges Leclerc (1944 - November 1945)
Issued permit to operate bus service in Saint-Augustin-de-Québec and between Saint-Augustin and Québec. Sold 1945 to AStA Enr. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus St-Augustin Enr. (November 1945 - 1958)
Owned by Lionel Boutet. Abandoned service 1958. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Veilleux & Fournier (1946 - April 1949)
Operated bus service between Québec and Cap-Rouge and Saint-Augustin Sud. Registered 1949. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Veilleux & Fournier Enr. (April 1949 - 01 December 1955)
Owner Camille Fournier. Operated bus service between Québec and Cap-Rouge and Saint-Augustin Sud. Sold to AF Ltée 1955. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Fournier Limitée (01 December 1955 - 01 February 1971)
Saint-Augustin Sud bus service operated seasonally. Acquired AAD northern Saint-Augustin service 1969. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus J.B.H. Gauthier (1958 - 1972)
Restarted bus service between Québec and Deschambault via Saint-Augustin 1958. Sold to AR-N 1972. (Jean Breton 2009).

Commission de transport de la communauté urbaine de Québec (01 February 1971 - 01 June 1988)
Acquired AF Ltée 1971 and operated year-round service to Lac-Saint-Augustin Sud. CTCUQ service to Saint-Augustin terminated in accordance with terms of AT Inc. contract. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autocars Portneuf Inc. (1971 - 1988)
Northern part of Saint-Augustin served as part of company's Québec -- Saint-Raymond service. Service abandoned 1988. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Rive-Nord Inc. (1972 - 1980)
Bus service between Québec and Deschambault via Saint-Augustin. Sold 1980 to AG Inc. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autobus Germain Inc. (1980 - 1984)
Bus service between Québec and Deschambault via Saint-Augustin. Abandoned 1984. (Jean Breton 2009).

Autocars Tradition Inc. (01 June 1988 - 01 February 2003)
Service from Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, Lac Saint-Augustin Sud and Lac Saint-Augustin Nord to nearby Québec. Contract operator for the municipality. News release in 1998 cited CIT de Saint-Augustin (14 December 1998). Contracting responsibility assumed by Réseau de Transport de la Capitale 01 January 2002. Operating contract transferred by Tradition to AQ Inc. 2003. (email 1996 for prov map 1995, Jacques Matte 1997, Jean Breton 2009, photo Jacques Matte).

Vehicle fleet12 buses
Data source:Jacques Matte 1997

Autocar Québec Inc. (01 February 2003 - 14 June 2008)
Contract operator for the RTC. Service assumed by RTC (see Québec above) 14 June 2008 (Jacques Matte).

Modes

Omnibus1845 - circa 1925
Animal railway17 August 1865 - 1898
Electric railway20 July 1897 - 25 May 1948>
Funicularcirca 1880 - present (Québec),
1901 - ? (Montmorency Falls)
Motor bus16 June 1938 - present (city)*
1933 - present (suburban)
* The QRL&P Co began operating buses in sightseeing service in June 1923.

References


Copyright ©1989-2012 David A. Wyatt. All Rights Reserved.
Return to All-Time List of Canadian Transit Systems

The author is always interested in comments, corrections and further information. Please email to:

dawwpg@shaw.ca
This page last modified: Wednesday, 22-Feb-2012 21:27:40 CST