Descendants of John Crozier of Ballinamore
by David A. Wyatt
Copyright ©2000-2014 David A. Wyatt
I am researching the ancestry and descendants of John Crozier
and his wives Ellen Knight and Anna Coffle. Many of their children emigrated from
Ireland to Canada circa 1832, settling in Elizabethtown Township and nearby townships in Leeds and Grenville Counties (later Leeds & Grenville County), Ontario, through the
Much of the information contained on this web page was researched and published by
the late Ethel M. Rafter Williams of Rochester, New York, in her 1962 book The Williams - Rafter Family History.
Corrections and additional data has been supplied by Ruth McLaughlin, Jean Purcell, and Blair Loree, 2000-2003,
and from the "Alice Hughes Collection" at the Merrickville Public Library.
- born in Ireland,
- died May 25, 1825 in Ireland.
- Married (1) before 1796 in Ireland, to Ellen Knight
- Married (2) after 1798, to Anna Coffle
- Residence: Bellinamore, County Leitrim, Ireland
[probably Ballinamore, County Leitrim, Ireland]
- born in Ireland
- died in Ireland, not before 1798.
- born in Ireland
- died in Ireland or Canada (the 1851/2 census of Elizabethtown township includes a 70 year old
widow Ann Crozier resident in the household of Andrew and Eliza Crozier).
Children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of John Crozier and Ellen Knight:
- William Crozier, born 1796 in Ireland; died 1862 in Ireland.
Married in Ireland, to Mary Coffle.
- Ellen Crozier, died 1878. Married Thomas Nobles
- William Crozier
- Alec Crozier, died 1856 in Michigan.
- Thomas Joseph Crozier, died in Quebec. Married Margaret Moffatt.
- Thomas Joseph Crozier, born 1843 or 1845 Montague Twp (Merrickville), Ontario; died April 6, 1893 Ottawa, Ontario. (see obituary) Married Elizabeth Boadice ? (d. 1901 Ottawa).
1881 census, 1901 census
Children (adopted?): William Crozier (c1874-?), Dora Crozier (c1882-?).
- Arch Crozier
- Elizabeth Crozier, died about 1866.
She married 1827 in Swanlinbar, Cavan, Ireland, to Alexander Pollock.
- Ellen Pollock
- Catharine Crozier, born 1797; died 1859.
Married James Devitt (born about 1799 Ireland).
- Edward Devitt, born about 1828 Ireland. Died 1905 Merrickville. Married Mary Ann Edwards (born 1829 Wolford Twp - died 1900).
- Elizabeth Jane "Lizzie" Devitt, born Abt. 1857 in Ontario. Married to George McDonald. 1881 census. Daughter: Florence McDonald, married Poughkeepsie, NY, to Theodore Miller.
- Martha Devitt, born 1858 Wolford Twp. Married 1897 Wolford Twp., to James Berry (1849-1914).
Daughter: Ann Berry.
- James Devitt, born 1860 Wolford Twp, died 1901 Wolford Twp. Married 1890 Eastons Corners, to Eliza Jane "Jennie" Wilson (born 1870 Natural Bridge, New York - died 1955 Smiths Falls).
Anna Florence Devitt (married to Hulbert Maitland),
Mary Elizabeth Devitt (married to Douglas Empey),
Joseph Wesley Devitt
William James "Bill" Devitt
Thomas George "Tom" Devitt.
- Jane Devitt, born Abt. 1861 Wolford Twp. Lived in Ogdensburg, New York.
- Joseph Devitt, born 1863 Wolford Twp, died 1885.
- Edward Devitt, born Abt. 1864 in Ontario; died December 1870 Wolford Twp.
- Barbara Devitt, born Abt. 1868 in Ontario. Married to Ephraim Miller.
Daughters: Ethel Miller, Clara Miller, Florence Miller, and a fourth.
- Thomas George Devitt, born 1869 Wolford Twp, died 1930 Ogdensburg, New York. Married 1892 Ogdensburg, New York, to Katherine Sophie "Kate" Rankin.
Mary Emerson Devitt (married to Charles Howard McGrath), and
James Edward "Jimmy" Devitt.
- Mary Ann "Minnie" Devitt, born Abt. 1872 in Ontario, died 1903. Married David H. Pitcher. 1901 census
- Thomas Devitt, born about 1830 Ireland. Died 1894 Wolford Twp. Married 1857 Wolford Twp., to Jane Edwards (born Abt. 1836 - died 1907 Wolford Twp.).
- William James Devitt, born Abt. 1859 in Ontario, died 1888 Eastons Corners, Ontario.
- Fannia M./Frances Devitt, born Abt. 1862 in Ontario, died 1905. Married to Esley H. Tallman. 1901 census
Harold M. Tallman 1911 census,
Hardy E. Tallman,
Stanley Bliss Tallman 1911 census
- Martha Olive Devitt, born 1864 Wolford Twp., died 1866 Wolford Twp.
- Wesley W. Devitt, born Abt. 1867 in Ontario. Married to Etta Soper.
Helen Devitt (married to MLF McNally), and
- Evia E./Everine Devitt, born Abt. 1869 in Ontario. Married 1888, to Stephen Bresee.
- Annie Cecelia Devitt, born 1872 Wolford Twp. Married to John K. Miller.
- Howard Devitt, born Abt. 1875 in Ontario.
- Elmer Whitfield Devitt, born 1878 in Ontario, died 1937. Married 1900 to Florence Evelyn Dool (born 1879 - died 1949 Cornwall).
George Elmer Devitt, and twins
Harold Edwards Devitt and
Harry Bishop Devitt.
- Martha Devitt, born about 1832 Ireland. Married 1853 to James Edgar.
- Mary Jane Edgar, born 1854 Peterborough, Ontario.
- Elizabeth Edgar, born Abt. 1858.
- Thomas James Edgar, born Abt. 1861.
- Alma Edgar, born Abt. 1873 Beaverton, Ontario?
- E. Ann Edgar, born Abt. 1875.
- Mary Devitt, born about 1838 Ontario. Married George Love. Settled in Manitoba.
1881 census, 1901 census
- Adeline Love, born Abt. 1864 in Ontario; died 1924. Married Alex Wilson. 1901 census
- George Love, Jr., born Abt. 1872 in Ontario; died in Cuba. He married Dot Devitt. 1901 census
- Wesley Love, born Abt. 1874 in Ontario; died 1936. 1901 census
- Sidney Beatie Love, born Abt. 1876 in Ontario; died 1936. 1901 census
- William James Love, born 1877 in Brussels, Huron, Ontario, Canada; died 1962.
- Ella Louise Love, born Abt. July 1880 in Ontario; Married 1897 Portage-la-Prairie RM, Manitoba, to James T. Blackford.
- Carrie Olive Love, born 1884, died 1969 Vancouver. Married 1905 North Norfolk RM, Manitoba, to Dan/Don Campbell.
- John Crozier, born 1798; died 1866.
Married before 1827 in Ireland, to
Frances Parks (born in Ireland; died in Canada.)
- John Crozier, born 1827 in Ireland; died 1904 Elizabethtown.
Married circa 1847, to Eleanor Wilcox (died 1893).
- Isaiah Crozier,
born 1849 Elizabethtown, Ontario;
died 1908 Carleton Place, Ontario;
Married 1882, to Adelia Jane Johnston
(of Easton's Corners, Ontario;
died 1945 Ottawa, Ontario). 1901 census
Child: Arvilla Crozier (1884-1969), m. 1910, to James Albert Gilhuly (1876-1956).
- Ezra Crozier, born 1851 Elizabethtown; Married 1891, to Catharine Kimberly,
Children: John Nelson Crozier,
Milton Cassel/Castle Crozier
Harvey Wilcox Crozier
- Robert Crozier, born 1853; died 1856.
- Joseph Crozier, born 1855 Elizabethtown; died 1936; Married 1881, to Acenith "Sena" Reid.
Child: Waldron Crozier.
- Robert "Rob" Crozier, born 1857; died 1944 Ontario; Married 1893 Elizabethtown, to Mary McCully.
John Andrew Crozier
Clifford Ward Crozier,
Hazel Estella Crozier,
Gladys Etta Crozier,
Winnifred Mary Euphaema Crozier,
Ella Rebecca Crozier,
Lloyd Robert Crozier,
Grace Mildred Crozier.
- Maria Crozier [pronounced "Mariah"], born 1860 Elizabethtown; died 1930; Married Albert "Ab" McMullen. No children.
- William Crozier, born 1862; Married Mary Jane/Jennie McMullen.
Eleanor Adelia "Ella" Crozier,
Leslie Ward Crozier.
- Eleanor/Ellen Crozier, born 1834 Elizabethtown; died 1864; Married John Greer.
1881 census (John and second wife Caroline).
- Rebecca Greer, born 1858, died 1879.
- Joseph Greer, born 1862, died 1946. 1901 census
- Ella Greer.
- Fanny/Fannie Crozier, born circa 1836; Married 1863, to James Greer.
- Eva Greer, born 1864. Never married.
- Freeman Greer, born 1866. Never married.
- Joseph Crozier, born March 17, 1840; died 1922;
Married 1866, to Charlotte White (born February 14, 1837).
Residence: Bishop Mills.
- Etta Crozier, born 1867, died 1896. No children.
- Birdella "Birdie" Crozier, born 1877, died 1966. Married Levi E. Robinson. Child: Muriel Robinson.
- Annie Gertrude Crozier, born 1879, died 1944. No children.
- Margaret Jane Crozier, born circa 1844 Elizabethtown, died 1895 Carleton Place, Ont.; Married 01 January 1866, to John James Stoddard (born circa 1842 Wolford, died circa 1916),
- Washington Stoddard (c1868-1870).
- Lewelly Jane Stoddard (1870-1872).
- George Washington Stoddard (1872-?), married 1896, to Martha Matilda "Mattie" Swain.
Children: Verla Margaretta Stoddard (1898-2000), Annie Inez Stoddard (1906-1988).
- Wellington Stoddart (1873-1952), married (1) 1899, to Lavinia Graham (died circa 1906).
Orla "Orrie" Maye Stoddart (1900-1984),
Mabel Stoddart (1901-?),
Edna Stoddart (1903-?),
a son variously Derril Stoddard or Gerald Stoddard (1905-?),
Marjorie Stoddart (1907-1974),
Wellington married (2) after 1907, to Sarah Smith.
- Charles Ross Stoddard (1877-1944), married 1903, to Mary Adeline Burgess (1880-1967).
Clarence Taylor Stoddard (1904-1909),
John Nathaniel Stoddard (1905-1988),
Daniel Alexander Stoddard (1908-1981),
Lillian Frances Moss Stoddard (1908-1908),
Margaret Jane Crozier Stoddard (1908-1908),
Oswald Murray Stoddard (1910-1968),
Gordon Earl Stoddard (1911-1965).
- Worthington Stoddard (1877-before 1881).
- Luella "Ella" Stoddard (1879-1934), married 1899, to William Charles Smith.
- Edward Stoddard (1882-1951)
- Annie L. Stoddard (1885-1972), married 1902, to William James Logan,
Children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of John Crozier and Anna Coffle:
- James Crozier,
Immigration: 1830, to North America, later returning to Ireland.
Died in Ireland.
Cause of Death: hunting expedition - never returned
- Robert Crozier, born 1804 in Ireland; died February 01, 1869 Merrickville, Ontario.
Married about 1838, to
(born March 30, 1806 Hull, Quebec, died September 11, 1895 Merrickville, Ontario).
Children: [PHOTO] (160K)
- Esther Crozier,
Married William Peterson Robertson
- Mary E. Robertson, born February 02, 1860; died May 08, 1942.
- William Harrison Robertson, born about 1864. Married Margaret Schifferer. Child: Charlotte Jane Robertson.
- John Robertson, born about 1865
- Bertha Robertson, born about 1868. Married Samuel J. Harvey. 1911 census.
- Jane Robertson, born about 1870; died 1889.
- Robert Robertson, born about 1872.
- Harry Robertson, born about 1875.
- Gordon Robertson, born about 1877.
- Adelaide Crozier, born August 08, 1840; died February 16, 1917 Merrickville, Ontario.
Married 1863, to Robert Harrison.
(see Harrison page).
- John Crozier, born April 15, 1842; died September 18, 1889.
Settled in Baltimore, Maryland. Married Catherine ? (born about 1853 Maryland).
1880 census. Catherine secondly married Fred Rogers
- Demetrius Crozier, born about 1876 Maryland.
- Amelia Crozier, born about 1878 Maryland.
- Charles Crozier, born 1880 Maryland.
- Esther Crozier
- Adelaide Crozier
- Catharine Crozier
- Demetrius Crozier, born September 15, 1844;
militia service in the Merrickville Rife Company (1866);
Residence: Austin, Manitoba and Merrickville, Ontario;
died 1930; buried Merrickville Union Cemetery, Merrickville, Ontario.
Married Elizabeth Harrison.
(see Harrison page),
- Angelina Crozier, born 1848; died 1932.
Married James M. Lingenfelter (born 1829, died 1882 Merrickville, Ontario).
1881 census, 1901 census
- Josephine "Josie" Lingenfelter, born 1871; died 1934 Saskatoon.
Married Clayton Edgar Alexander (born 1878, died 1957 Saskatoon).
- Robert Crozier Lingenfelter, born 1873; died 1873 Merrickville, Ontario.
- Henry James Lingenfelter, born 1874; died May 28, 1906.
- Sidney D. Lingenfelter, born 1876; died 1876 Merrickville, Ontario.
- Fuller Stevens Lingenfelter, born 1877; died 1878 Merrickville, Ontario.
- Maude Lingenfelter, born c1878.
- Anna Lingenfelter, born c1878. Married after 1901 William James Mitchell (died before 1911).
Child: Dorethea Mitchell (b. 1906).
- Mary Samantha Crozier, born October 09, 1849; died August 28, 1925.
Married August 23, 1871, to John Foster Williams.
- Nina Anna Morgan Williams, born May 24, 1872 Smiths Falls, Ontario; died July 21, 1954 St. Petersburg, Florida.
Married October 14, 1903 Rochester, New York, to Herman Carl Merker (born April 29, 1869 in Germany, died June 09, 1956 Chicago, Illinois).
- Joseph Williams, born November 02, 1873 Renfrew, Ontario; died February 14, 1874.
- John Ralston "Rolly" Williams, born December 27, 1874 Renfrew, Ontario;
Married April 17, 1907, to Ethel M. Rafter (born February 03, 1878).
- Ada Edith Williams, born May 20, 1876 Almonte, Ontario; Married July 05, 1898, to Fred E. Pfluke (born November 17, 1875, died March 1968 St. Petersburg, Florida).
- Wilhelmina Williams, born October 14, 1878 Kemptville, Ontario; died August 17, 1956 Laredo, Texas.
Married (1) August 23, 1905, to Dr. Charles Harwood (died June 07, 1937). Married (2) June 22, 1921, to Stephen Kearny Mason (born October 14, 1893).
- William Harrison Williams, born September 12, 1880 Kemptville, Ontario; died June 20, 1881 Kemptville, Ontario.
- Elsie Jemima Williams, born June 25, 1882 Kemptville, Ontario; died May 10, 1955 Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Married July 27, 1907, to Charles F. Norton (born August 20, 1881 in India, died February 11, 1945 Batavia, New York).
- Margaretta Williams, born March 15, 1884 Kemptville, Ontario; died February 20, 1961 Des Plaines, Illinois.
Married May 24, 1911, to Jonathan Bidwell Graham (born September 23, 1885, died March 30, 1945).
- Maude Isabel Williams, born May 18, 1886 Canandaigua, New York;
Married December 24, 1914, to Frederick C. Hasse (born August 12, 1888, died May 12, 1933).
- James Joseph Williams, born April 23, 1888 Phelps, New York;
Married (1) October 16, 1912, to Florence Grady (born 1892, died December 22, 1960).
Married (2) August 31, 1933, to Helen Marie Belmont (born December 29, 1902).
- Mary Williams, born January 09, 1890 Rochester, New York; died October 1985 St. Petersburg, Florida.
Married February 18, 1923, to Edmond G. Fahey (born August 07, 1893, died October 17, 1943).
- Andrew Crozier, born 1811; died 1857 Wolford Twp, Ontario.
Married Eliza Wilson (born 1818). After Andrew's death Eliza married secondly Daniel Cassidy.
Residence: Lot 2, Concession 11, Elizabethtown Twp, Leeds County [1851/2 census].
Residence: Montague, Ontario [Williams 1962].
1881 census (Eliza and husband Daniel).
- George Crozier, born c1841.
- Jane Crozier, born c1844; died 1857.
- Mary Ann Crozier, born 1848;
- John Crozier, born 1849; died 1876.
- Thomas Crozier, born 1850; died 1930; Married 1879 Bracebridge, Ontario, to Elizabeth Anne "Bessie" Inch (1856-1906); 1901 census
- Sarah Jane Sevier (stepchild, 1876-1946 married 1902 Manitoba, to James McGillivary); 1901 census (both)
- Andrew Crozier (1880-1962 married Emma Samantha Lyle);
- Mary Elizabeth "Minnie" Crozier (1883-1958 married George Andrew Shewfelt);
- Lucy Anne Crozier (1884-1972 married George Herbert Lougheed);
- Ellen Crozier (1886-1955 married William Snowdon);
- Edna Crozier (1888-1975 never married);
- William Crozier (1891-1915 killed in action)
- Daniel Crozier (1893-1917 killed in action)
- Thomas Edward Crozier (1895-1996 married Matilda Avaleen "Tillie" Sarvis)
- Elizabeth Crozier, born 1852; Married Walter Bartlett.
Residence: Woodstock, Ontario.
- Archie Bartlett, born 1881.
- Florence Bartlett, born 1883.
- Lucy Jane Crozier, born 1854; Married William Fetterly. 1901 census.
- Keziah Crozier, born 1856; died 1863.
- Mary Crozier, born 1813; died February 27, 1834.
- Ann Crozier, born 1815; died after 1896;
Married April 01, 1835, to
- Mary Berry, born 1836 Elizabethtown Twp.; died 1901 Elizabethtown Twp.
Married John Stevens.
1901 census (unconfirmed).
- Annie Stevens. Married Ab Kennedy. Residence: Smiths Falls, Ontario. 1901 census.
- Sarah Stevens. Married Harvey Timleck. Residence: Jasper, Ontario.
Children: Edna Maude Timleck (1888-1972 married Claude Beamish); Mabel Winnifred Timleck (1893-1980 never married); Laura Mildred Timleck (1900-1971 married William G. Quinton).
- Hattie Stevens. Residence: Syracuse, New York
- Addie Stevens. Residence: Jasper, Ontario
- Jane Berry, born 1837;
Residence: Elizabethtown, Ontario
- Ann Berry, born 1839; died 1877.
- Adeline Berry, born 1841; died 1922.
Married Sam Tackeberry.
Residence: Rock Springs.
- Howard D. Tackeberry b. 1873, m. to Gertrude M. Steacy (b. 1875).
Children: Helen B. Tackeberry (b. 1900);
Adeline M. Tackeberry (b. 1903).
- Caroline Berry, born 1843 Elizabethtown Twp.;
Married Louis Seeley.
- Mary Jane "Minnie" Seeley (b. circa 1868). Married William Montague. Residence: Oneida, New York
- Lucy Seeley, born about 1872.
- Annie Seeley born about 1875.
- Artemus Seeley, born February 28, 1878; died March 1970 Copake, New York.
- Hattie Seeley, born Feb. 1881.
- Maude Seeley
- Catherine Berry, born 1845; died 1845.
- Henry Berry, born 1847 Elizabethtown Twp.; died 1934 [or 1869, sources disagree].
- James Berry, born 1849; died 1914. Married 1897 Wolford Twp., to Martha Devitt (born 1858 Wolford Twp.)
Residence: Elizabethtown, Ontario. 1901 census
- Ann Berry.
- Catherine Berry, born 1850;
Married Almonte, Ontario, to Robert Smith
(or Robert Mutte [sources disagree]).
- James H. Smith, born 1887.
- Leila May Smith, born 1893.
- Artemus Berry, born 1852; died 1943. Married Syracuse, New York, to Georgia Welch.
- James Berry
- Thomas Crozier, born 1817; died 1846.
Married Margaret Brown
- Joseph Crozier, born 1832;
- Agnes Crozier, born 1819; died circa 1860.
Married Thomas Wilcox.
- Mary Wilcox (1842-1912), married William Belfour, settled in Evart, Michigan.
- Martha Belfour/Belford (b. c1862 or 1866), married 1882 at Owen Sound, Robert Nelson (b. c1860 or 1863 Scotland).
Thomas J. Nelson 1911 census,
Mary E. Nelson,
William Robert Nelson,
Elizabeth L. Nelson.
- William Belfour (c1871-c1882)
- Joseph F. Belfour (b. c1875)
- Robert J. Belfour (b. c1879)
- Margery A. Belfour (died in infancy)
- Hannah Wilcox (b. 1842?), Married Jonas Simmons.
- John Simmons (b. 1868)
- Agnes Simmons (b. c1870)
- William Simmons (b. 1872)
- Mary Anne Simmons (b. 1874)
- Eliza Matilda Simmons (1876-1942), married 1909 in Hibbert Twp. to Wellington Luther Kerslake (1877-1959).
- Samuel Simmons (b. c1878)
- George Wesley Simmons (b. 1879)
- Mabel Martha Simmons (b. 1882), married George Fairbairn
- Jonas Frederick Simmons (1884-1930)
- Ann Wilcox (b. c1846)
- George Wilcox (b. c1847), married Ann Holmes 1873.
- William C. Wilcox (born 1875, died 1932), married Sarah Hindman (1882-1982),
Children: Edna Wilcox (married John Lake), Myrtle Wilcox (married William Thompson), Nora Wilcox (married William Casemore), Leslie Wilcox, and George Wilcox.
- Ida Ellen Wilcox (born 1877), married John Albert Vaudner.
- John Wilcox (b. c1849)
- Thomas Wilcox, Jr (b. c1851)
- Robert Wilcox (b. c1855 - d. 1871) 1871 census
- Agnes Elizabeth Wilcox (c1855-1931), married Alexander Fraser.
- William F. Fraser (1876-1948)
- Martha Matilda Fraser (1878-1937), married Isaac Rathwell. 1911 census.
- Thomas Alexander Fraser (1879-1901)
- Louisa Agnes Fraser (1881-1959), married William Martin Ferg
- George Washington Fraser (1883-1954)
- Hattie May Fraser (1886-1904), married William Martin Ferg
- William Wilcox (b. c1858)
- Joseph Crozier, born 1821; died April 21, 1835.
Cause of Death: falling tree
The 1871 census links are to The Library and Archives of Canada at http://www.collectionscanada.ca/.
The 1880 and 1881 census links are to www.familysearch.org.
The 1901, 1906 and 1911 census links are to automatedgenealogy.com.
Related Web Pages