Ottawa City Passenger Railway Company (21 July 1870 - 01 June 1894)
Incorporated 15 August 1866 (Can.). Line in Rockcliffe Park was separate from the operation in Ottawa from its opening 03 August 1889 to construction of connecting track in May 1891. Company purchased by same interests that owned the OESRy 09 October 1891, reconstituted as an amalgamation of the OCPRy and the OESRy 26 March 1894, and renamed OERy 01 June 1894 (RFC). Service to Hull, Québec opened by omnibus in February 1892. Horsecar service converted to electric by fall (September?) 1893.
Ottawa Electric Street Railway Company (29 June 1891 - 26 March
Incorporated 13 February 1891. Amalgamated with the OCPRy March 1894.
Ottawa Electric Railway Company (01 June 1894 - 13 August 1948)|
Hull service converted from omnibus to rail 31 December 1896. Controlling interest held by the Ottawa Traction Company, Ltd. (McGraw 1918). (photos davesrailpix, William A. Luke, Peter Cox).
Ottawa Transportation Commission (13 August 1948 - 01 August 1972)
Public agency. Acquired the services of the OERy Co 1948. Acquired suburban services and bus fleets of the NBL 1949, EBS and Cyrville 1950, and UBL 1951 (CTHF Bulletin v5 no.1, May 1997). (photos William A. Luke)
Ottawa-Carleton Regional Transit Commission (01 August 1972 -
31 December 2000)
Marketed as OC Transpo. First segment of the Transitway rapid busway opened 1983. Commission dissolved at the end of 2000 when municipal amalgamation occurred. (CUTA 1989, CUTA 1991/2, CUTA 1992.)
|Service area population||586,000 (1991)||Vehicle fleet||899 buses (2000)||Employees||2,249 (1991)||Data source:||CUTA 1991/2
OC Transpo website 1998 (logo)
OC Transpo (01 January 2001 - present)
Owned by the newly enlarged City of Ottawa. Service also extends into downtown Gatineau, Québec. Diesel light rail service begun 2001 over tracks of the city owned Capital Railway. From September 2002 some service in rural areas has been operated under contract by Laidlaw Inc. (routes 720 to Cumberland Village and 730 to Notre-Dame-des-Champs and Navan), Transport Thom (route 796 to Kars and North Gower), and Premier Bus Lines (routes 163 in Stittsville and 783 to Munster Hamlet) (PS 2002). (Photo David Loftson)
|Data source:||CTF [Aug. 2010] (ridership)|
C. Levesque (05 April 1915 -?)
Ottawa's first jitney operator. Car carried the signage: Jitney Passenger Service. (CR&MW May 1915, pp. 188-189)
Mrs. M. Gorman (? - ?)
Bus service between Ottawa and Hurdman's Bridge, 15 round trips/day, 1 bus fleet, 5¢ fare (CR&MW May 1926, pp. 262-263, June 1926, p. 323). (CR&MW June 1928, pp. 364-365).
Cyrville Bus Service (? - 1950)
Licence to operate scheduled bus service Ottawa - Cyrville held by C. Trudel in 1928 (CR&MW June 1928, pp. 364-365). Purchased new Fitzjohn Cityliner bus August 1950 (Lawrence 2012, p. 47). Buses (and probably services) acquired by OTC 1950 (CTHF Bulletin v5 no.1, May 1997).
Uplands Bus Lines Ltd. (? - 1951)
Operating in 1943 at the time of the Eastview fire (Ottawa Citizen Feb. 16, 1943, p. 1). Buses (and probably services) acquired by OTC 1951 (CTHF Bulletin v5 no.1, May 1997).
"Beacon Hill Bullet" (05 July 1971 - 02 March 1973)
Sponsored and organized by the Beacon Hill North Community Association: Transport Committee (later the North Gloucester Transport Committee) and operated under contract by Capital Coach Lines (after circa April 1972, a subsidiary of Travelways). Service assumed by the OCRTC 05 March 1973. (Roe)
"Goulbourn/Stittsville" (? - 31 December 2000)
In addition to commuter services contracted to OC Transpo, the Township of Goulbourn operated service from Ashton via Munster Hamlet to Richmond (OC Transpo connection) and local service in Stittsville (known as the "Goulbourn Shuttle" or "Stittsville Shuttle") which reached Kanata (OC Transpo connection). In recent years the contract operator was Premier Bus Lines. At amalgamation the remaining operations passed to the City of Ottawa and OC Transpo. A local service in Richmond had been replaced by OC Transpo service earlier. (PS 2002).
Richmond Bus Service (mid 1946 - 04 November 1947)
Owned by the O'Brian brothers of Brittania (Ottawa Citizen Nov. 4, 1947, p. 11). Bus service in Nepean. Acquired by new owners 1947.
Nepean Bus Line (04 November 1947 - 01 August 1949)
Bus service in Nepean. Acquired by the OTC for $75,000 in 1949. (Ottawa Citizen Jul. 29, 1949, p. 1). (CTHF Bulletin v5 no.1, May 1997).
City View Bus Lines (1961? - 1972?)
Suburban carrier for the City View area of Nepean township. The OTC discontinued service to Nepean 30 September 1962 (Ottawa Citizen Sep. 20, 1962, p. 1). Acquired by Charterways Transportation Limited 01 September 1972. (Canadian Coach 1972).
Eastview (Vanier) Systems
Eastview was renamed Vanier in 1963. Vanier was annexed to Ottawa in 2001.
Ottawa Electric Railway Company (June 1924 - 03 April 1929)
The OERy's first motorbus service was between Ottawa and Eastview. This operated in competition with ETCo. An April 1926 survey listed a service with a 10 minute headway, 4 buses and a 5¢ fare (CR&MW May 1926, pp. 262-263).
Eastview Transit Co. (1924 - 16 April 1926)
Operating in competition with the OERy. An April 1926 survey listed a service with a 10 minute headway and a 5¢ fare (CR&MW May 1926, pp. 262-263).
Eastview Bus Service (late May 1926 - 1950)
Eastview Bus Co. began operating with 3 buses, a 15 minute headway (10 minutes in rush hours), and a fare of 5¢ or 22 tickets for $1.00 (CR&MW July 1926, p. 387). Garage fire 1943 (Ottawa Citizen Feb. 16, 1943, p. 1). Buses (and probably services) acquired by OTC 1950 (CTHF Bulletin v5 no.1, May 1997).
Ottawa Suburban Services
Carleton Bus Lines (? - ?)
Serving Almonte, and Parkenham. (Canadian Coach 1971). Service to Arnprior, Antrim, Carleton Place, Almonte, and Pakenham (Ottawa Citizen Mar. 10, 1986, p. 32).
Canadian Coach 1971 lists CBL and three other Ottawa area suburban carriers:
A list of Ottawa area commuter service companies, from mid 2002 and mid 2007, included:
Thom Transport (? - present)
Serving Arnprior, Carleton Place, Dunrobin, Fitzroy Habour, Galetta, Kinburn, Perth, and Woodlawn (2002). Serving Almonte, Arnprior, Carleton Place, Pakenham, and Perth (2007) OC Transpo “rural partner” routes 500, 502, and 503 (2010). Service to Carleton Place probably replaced 03 May 2010 by LCT (see below).
Howard Bus Service (? - present)
Serving Merrickville, Burritt's Rapids, Kemptville, and North Gower (2002, 2007). OC Transpo “rural partner” route 509 (2010).
416 Shuttle (? - 2006?)
Serving Shanly, Spencerville, Kemptville, and North Gower (2002). Not listed in 2007 or 2010. (See Kemptville Transportation Services).
Laidlaw (? - 2009?)
Serving Greely, Metcalfe, Vernon, Winchester, Osgoode village, and Manotick (2002). Serving Greely, Metcalfe, Vernon, and Winchester (2007). Not listed as an OC Transpo “rural partner” in 2010. (see Wubs Transit and South Mountain Stagecoach/Transit).
Wubs Transit (01 March 2009 - present)
Commuter service from Chesterville, Winchester, Vernon, Metcalfe, and Greely to Ottawa. OC Transpo “rural partner” route 541 (2010). (Nanda Wubs 2010, website 2010).
|Data source:||website 2010|
Lalonde Bus Lines (? - present)
Serving Bourget and Vars (2002). Serving Bourget, Cheney, and Vars as part of CRTranspo (Clarence-Rockland) (2007).
417 Bus Line Ltd. (1972 - 2008?)
Serving Casselman, Embrun, Limoges, and Vars (2002). Serving Casselman, Crysler, Embrun, and Limoges (2007). It seems logical that responsibility for services to TEO communities would have been transferred to TEO in 2008.
Transit Eastern Ontario (2008 - present)
Transport Est-Ontarien. Commuter service between Ottawa and Gatineau and Limoges, Casselman, Saint-Albert, Crysler, Berwick, Finch, St. Isadore, Maxville and Alexandria. Operations of the North Glengarry Prescott Russell Transport Board. Member municipalities are the village of Casselman, townships of North Glengarry and North Stormont, and the Nation municipality. Operation is contracted to 417 Bus Line Ltd. (website 2010). OC Transpo “rural partner” routes 552-559 (2010). 24 November 2011 North Stormont voted to withdraw from TEO.
|Data source:||website 2010|
CTF [Aug. 2010] (ridership)
Autobus Bergeron Bus Lines (? - present)
Serving Embrun, Russell, and Vars (2002). Serving Embrun, Limoges, Russell, and Vars (2007, 2010). OC Transpo “rural partner” routes 523, 524, 525, and 526 (2010). Website identifies the service as Township of Russell Transit Service operated by Bergeron (website 2011).
Leduc Bus Lines (? - present)
Serving Alfred, Hawkesbury, L'Orignal, Plantagenet, Wendover, Rockland, and Cumberland Village (2002). Serving Alfred, Hawkesbury, L'Orignal, Plantagenet, and Wendover (2007). Service to Clarence Creek and Rockland operated by LBL as part of CRTranspo (Clarence-Rockland) (2007). Route Hawkesbury, L'Orignal, Alfred, Plantagenet, and Wendover to Ottawa and Gatineau is OC Transpo “rural partner” route 520 (2010).
Delaney Bus Lines Ltd. (01 May 2007 - present)
Serving Ottawa - Cornwall commuters (2007). OC Transpo “rural partner” route 515 (2010). Added commuter service from Finch via Berwick and Crysler to Ottawa (route 516) and from Alexandria via Maxville to Ottawa (route 517) 01 April 2010.
Kemptville Transportation Services (2006? - present)
Serving Kemptville and North Gower (2007). Kemptville express route also serves Gatineau (2007). OC Transpo “rural partner” routes 542 and 543 (2010).
Greyhound QuickLink Commuter Service (200x? - present)
The Montréal - Ottawa and Cornwall - Ottawa routes operated by Greyhound Transportation Canada Inc. are marketed as QuickLink commuter services, with commuting schedules and monthly passes. As of January 2008 service details were: (1) Ottawa/Kanata - Cornwall (monthly pass: $285.00); and (2) Ottawa - Montréal (monthly pass: $446.00/student: $393.00, 21+ round trips/weekday, one-way trip time 2:10 -> 2:40). Since October 2007 Greyhound has been a subsidiary of FirstBus Canada Ltd. The QuickLink brand is also used in the United States. (www.greyhoundquicklink.ca 27 January 2008).
South Mountain Stagecoach/Transit (31 March 2009 - 31 July 2012)
Commuter service from Osgoode and Inkerman to Ottawa. OC Transpo “rural partner” route 565 (OC Transpo website 2010).
|Data source:||website 2010|
Lanark Community Transit (03 May 2010 - present)
Commuter bus service between Carelton Place and Ottawa operated under contract by Groupe Galland. Initial schedule of eight two-way trips, four each in the AM and PM. Service interrupted approximately Christmas 2010 due to funding issues, resuming 04 January 2011. (website 2010, Ottawa Sun 05 January 2011).
system logo 2010
|Data source:||website 2010|
(2002 info from OC Transpo's Bus Fan Club, forwarded by Alan Gryfe Aug 2002. 2007 and 2010 surveys from OC Transpo website “Rural Transit” page)
|Animal railway||21 July 1870 - fall (September?) 1893||Omnibus||20 March 1875 - 31 December 1896 ***||Electric railway||29 June 1891 - 30 April 1959*||Diesel light rail||15 October 2001 - present||Motor bus||June 1924 - present||Motor bus busway||11 December 1983 - present **||Trolley coach||15 December 1951 - 27 June 1959|
The author is always interested in comments, corrections and further information. Please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org This page last modified: Friday, 28-Dec-2012 00:55:44 CST